Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights 2, Penguins 1 - It's Lit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One move isn't going to fix what is wrong.

This needs quoted over and over again. We all thought bottom 6 was going to be THE issue this year. It's not. If JR is going to salvage this year, he needs a monster shakeup deal, and it's not out there to be had.

One move will not fix this team with how they are playing. I'd honestly rather them just take it this year and recharge for next. The monster deal they'd need is just not out there.

And it's also insanely unfair to sit here and blame JR solely when you have Letang, Dumo, Geno, Sid, etc. playing like they did tonight.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Skipped the majority of this game because nothing good was going to come from tonight (plus christmas errands)

+ game is over so I no longer have to read tweets about: :heart: Fleury
- still one more game with the VGK... at home. God. The Flower love-in is going to be exponentially worse

(I like MAF but geez... some "Pens fans" were actively rooting against the Pens)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not even mad. I'm just very disappointed.

This team probably hit the proverbial wall. They couldn't afford to do so with the roster they had. The defense is making laughable mistakes. That Dumo play and then he doesn't even get to his guy in the d-zone is common each game from all of our defenders. Just laughable. Idiotic plays all over the ice. No focus.

Honestly it's probably best we don't make moves, get a nice long offseason, and recharge for the comeback.

You know damn well that's not what is going to happen.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Flawed roster.
Incoherent lines.
Uninspiring effort.

Watching the Pens this year has been about as much fun as going to the dentist. This team needs a shake-up. Everybody looks a little too secure on a team where very few should be.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No GM going for a threepeat would ever think like that. You make some smart trades and go for it. Trading Hornqvist while you are trying to win the cup isn’t smart.

And trading Hornqvist would probably be a smart trade, considering:

A. He doesn't fit at all with Malkin.
B. He can't play LW, which was painfully obvious tonight.
C. Rust is a much more effective player for what the Penguins need him to be when he's on RW, and Hornqvist being here prevents him from being on RW (and no, Guentzel-Malkin-Rust isn't going to be a line).
D. Crosby apparently doesn't like playing with him.
E. He's a free agent after the year that the Penguins probably won't re-sign.

It's not even about "asset management" at this point.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
The good is that the Pens played a one goal game on the road against a very good team. The bad was 4 d men with minuses behind their names and when they were'n giving up goals they were giving up a lot of zone time and chances. Could have been worse if Letang and Dumo did not have some luck. Watch it again if you need to.

Crosby My Captain 87

Jan 5, 2016
Lol @ Sullivan breaking up Sid/Simon/Guentzel for a shift down 1 in the 3rd, after they dominated most of the third.

let's see what you got gmjr.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Skipped the majority of this game because nothing good was going to come from tonight (plus christmas errands)

+ game is over so I no longer have to read tweets about: :heart: Fleury (ugh)
- still one more game with the VGK... at home. God. The Flower love-in is going to be exponentially worse

(I like MAF but geez... some "Pens fans" were actively rooting against the Pens)
I saw some of those fans on twitter. One person was like "Best case scenario is for the Pens to lose 1-0 with Fleury scoring an empty net goal". That was a real post from a supposedly real Pens fan.

People confuse me.

Reactions: Heliarclee

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
At this point, no one should assume this team is going to do anything this year. If you're going to assume they're not going to turn it around, trade Hornqvist and get ready for next year.

At this point, I really don't see a justification to keep Hornqvist unless you're re-signing him immediately. The team is either going to suck and you trade Hornqvist in the name of asset management, or this team is going to be good and you trade Hornqvist to fix other serious flaws on your roster, with the logic that he doesn't fit in your top-6 (due to Crosby not liking to play with him) and his position inflexibility is enough of a justification to move him. If he's not re-signed by the new year, I'm looking to move him if I was JR.
Hornqvist has 6 5v5 points this year. Three of those are against Buffalo. I like Hornqvist, but his ES production has been trending down every year he's been with the Penguins. It may not even hurt them much this year if he was traded.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This needs quoted over and over again. We all thought bottom 6 was going to be THE issue this year. It's not. If JR is going to salvage this year, he needs a monster shakeup deal, and it's not out there to be had.

One move will not fix this team with how they are playing. I'd honestly rather them just take it this year and recharge for next. The monster deal they'd need is just not out there.

And it's also insanely unfair to sit here and blame JR solely when you have Letang, Dumo, Geno, Sid, etc. playing like they did tonight.

I wouldn't say that.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
And trading Hornqvist would probably be a smart trade, considering:

A. He doesn't fit at all with Malkin.
B. He can't play LW, which was painfully obvious tonight.
C. Rust is a much more effective player for what the Penguins need him to be when he's on RW, and Hornqvist being here prevents him from being on RW (and no, Guentzel-Malkin-Rust isn't going to be a line).
D. Crosby apparently doesn't like playing with him.
E. He's a free agent after the year that the Penguins probably won't re-sign.

It's not even about "asset management" at this point.

I would also add that Jake has looked really good on the top PP whenever he gets a chance, Horny moving on would open up a spot for Jake on the top PP.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Honestly it's probably best we don't make moves, get a nice long offseason, and recharge for the comeback.

I started a thread a couple weeks ago about needing a year off and recharge for next year and it didn't go well... :laugh:

Understandable a couple weeks ago it was still early-ish

Reactions: ColePens

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What was Reaves's ice time in the 3rd? Did the 4th have more than a single shift?

Thank heavens he didn't get HS'ed.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I can’t think of one good reason to trade Hornqvist. He shouldn’t ever play with Malkin, I agree with that. He should be stapled to Crosby. It’s not Crosby’s decision to make.

Unless the return is too good to pass up, or you’re 100% sure you aren’t gonna re-sign him, I just don’t think it’s a good idea.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm not in need to trade Horny mode but tell me whats coming back and i'll think about it...Same with Letang.

Reactions: domaug

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I started a thread a couple weeks ago about needing a year off and recharge for next year and it didn't go well... :laugh:

Understandable a couple weeks ago it was still early-ish
I don't know that I'd call it a year off, but I can certainly understand it not being an all-in year. I wouldn't be making any trades that are purely rentals, but I also wouldn't be selling guys off. Hockey trades only this year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just can't believe people think JR waves a wand around and gets this team back to a Cup contender. We have enough talent, as is, to not be in this situation. Did you watch Geno? Did you watch Letang? Did you see Dumo's laughable gaffes? Did you watch Sid? Did you see our powerplay?

If JR has a wand, he should wave it at those players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad