GDT: GM #3: LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @ 7:30

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Typos are like mad libs sometimes. How did you get military for Kopitar? Then again, how did they get Brad Doty for Drew Doughty?

Sorry. My damn phone keeps changing peoples names on me. Thought I caught them all. My bad

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Check out the Tkachuk thread on the main boards. I swear some of those Calgary Flames lack brain cells.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Not exactly the same player but asking Doughty to fight is like asking Karlsson to fight. Anybody who thinks you just go out there and drop the gloves probably has never dropped the gloves or been in a street fight. Doughty could literally get destroyed by Tkachuk and be out a long time, he's not a fighter, he's a gifted, skilled hockey player who should be protected by his teammates. This is the new NHL, you can't just go and throw Baumgartner and McSorley out there to take care of Tkachuk. It was a close game, you have to deal with the kids antics without taking a penalty and hope you win the game.

Seriously. This notion among the fanbase baffles me.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
It's good to see Brown playing well.

Iafallo looks like a really good signing by Blake. Kid sees the ice very well. Hope he continues to get his opportunities playing with Kop and Brown, he compliments those 2.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think some of you make way too much out of the Doughty/Tkachuk thing. Sure there's some bad blood, but did you not read Tkachuk's quote?

Tkachuk, on any rivalry between him and Doughty:
I never really look at it as a battle between players. I mean, they’ve got a lot of guys on their team that are passionate and all that. It makes for divisional rivalry I guess. I mean, they’re right up there with the Edmonton’s and all them. Those are passionate games to play in and fun games, really good games. I don’t know, you guys tell me, I thought that was a pretty good game to watch.

These guys get all pissy on the ice but they leave it there. They have a little more motivation to beat each other, that's all. Doughty goes overboard but I'd rather see him animated and engaged than the opposite. When you think of Tkachuk, realize that's why Brown is hated by most other fan bases. Tkachuk doesn't hit nearly as hard either.

I also noticed that most posters that have been a little more critical of the team and express more concerns (myself included) are way more positive and happy with how the Kings played tonight. The first line looks like a first line, the team is playing fast and responsive, what's not to like? The pure hatred for Calgary is getting to some of you people :laugh:

Sure, when that goal went in I wanted to force choke the Flames through the TV (actually tried to). But if the Kings play like they have been for the majority of this season, playoffs aren't going to be in question. We will be arguing about seeding and matchups.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I am really happy with Dustin Brown's play. Part of his game I thought he had lost in great hand-to-eye coordination seems to be back. Good to see him gaining confidence and exorcising some of the demons bothering him under Sutter.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I don't want Doughty fighting, period

And when he does end up fighting one day, people will be complaining about all the ice time Muzzin and co would be getting. I don't know about you guys, but we don't exactly have a cupboard of #1 defensemen in line. Drew's not a fighter, he can't retaliate with fists so chooses words instead.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I am really happy with Dustin Brown's play. Part of his game I thought he had lost in great hand-to-eye coordination seems to be back. Good to see him gaining confidence and exorcising some of the demons bothering him under Sutter.

One could argue its never been better, even in his best years he fumbled the puck lot.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
And when he does end up fighting one day, people will be complaining about all the ice time Muzzin and co would be getting. I don't know about you guys, but we don't exactly have a cupboard of #1 defensemen in line. Drew's not a fighter, he can't retaliate with fists so chooses words instead.

I agree, Doughty isn't a fighter. The ridiculous kind of tirade which went on for 30 seconds or more in the penalty box should not happen though.

Doughty has other ways of "getting even" with Tkachuk. He is certainly capable of delivery solid body checks along the boards and effective play in his own zone and carrying the puck. Frankly, I haven't seen him do much of any of it against Calgary in recent games against them. It's pretty obvious Tkachuk has gotten under his skin.

Doughty's best course of action, if he isn't going to fight, is to tone down the rhetoric and play an extra physical game against the entire Calgary roster. As much as anything that kind of response will make him more effective and Tkachuk less effective.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I was impressed by MacDermid's play in the defensive zone. Seemed like Stevens matched him up with Jagr, who is not typically an easy assignment. MacD was right on Jagr's hip the entire time, not allowing him to get free. Problem with MacD right now is that he's not adept at turning the puck over and getting it out of the zone. He's playing a very risk averse style, clearing out the front of the net. The Kings got penned into their zone quite a bit while he was on the ice, but no big scoring chances. He's sort of the anti-Muzzin right now.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I only got to watch about 3/4 of the game as I missed the first part of the first.

I'm only going to concentrate on the positives as there's too much negative on here for a team that is got five points out of a possible six to open the season.

Military and Brown both look great and more in Porten Lee look like they can play in a new upbeat system.

Iafallo looks really good as well. I would experiment dropping him down to the third line and putting Cammy on the top line for a couple games. That is no slight on Iafallo and actually more praise to him as I believe he would help out on the third line defensively more than Cammy. Cammy needs to find his scoring punch and with Kooitar and Brown having big bodies and great puck possession he could be a natural fit on that line where his defensive. deficiencies won't hurt as much.

I wasn't sold on our rookie defenseman. I will reserve judgment does on MacDermid and I would like to give a shout out to
Fantenberg

I think that Fantenberg has the tools to be an effective number two pairing Defensemen that can be given top line power play time. I love a shot and how aggressive he is with the puck in the offensive zone.

As for McDermid it is very early and very limited minutes and I am impressed with what I've seen but there still a large growth curve. He seems to be handling what has been given to them and Erleen a few more minutes every week and hope that trend continues as it would be nice to have a big bodied, Crease clearing natural defenseman back there.

I know it's like wishing for a unicorn but is anybody other than me excited to see what Gaborik can provide in this new system once healthy?

If you put Cammy on the first line, Kopi and Brown will never get a shot. :)
Iafallo right now is a big part of why that line is so hot. Kid has amazing hands and sets up the other 4 guys on that line very well.

Look, last year in October after 3 games we had 0 points, for the month of October I do not believe we had a single regulation win.

Now we have 5 points, 2 regulation wins, top line is scoring, 2nd line is playing well, what's the old line if it ain't broke don't fix it.

In terms of Gaborik, where do you put him? I guess we have time to see how things progress, our thoughts today, might change a lot if and when they hit a rough patch

Also Amart is waiting in the wings, Fantenberg has a great shot, I like his game, but assume somebody has to get relegated to the 3rd pairing.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Muzzin stinks. That is all.......

Is anybody else sick of Jim Fox talking trash about Darryl Sutter? He's done it 3 times now.....

(And I'm paraphrasing here)

1) ["Darryl Sutter hurt Zatkoff's confidence"] .....Fox spouted this during the preseason.

2) ["Darryl Sutter created an unhealthy culture of fear"] .....Fox said something like this last week.

3) ["Darryl Sutter snickered & dismissed team-building activities"] .....Fox said something to this effect last night.

Here's the deal....... Darryl Sutter led the Kings to, not one, but two Stanley Cups..... the ONLY STANLEY CUPS that the L.A. Kings have ever won. Furthermore, I don't remember Fox ever criticizing any former King's coach this harshly or persistently. Did Fox talk trash about Terry Murray? How about Marc Crawford? What about Andy Murray? Robinson? Ftorek? Melrose? Webster? Fox needs to either hop on a plane & fly to Calgary and tell these things to Sutter's face, or just shut the hell up. It's ironic that Fox has his own vineyards. The dude transacts in both "wine" and "whine".....

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

If you put Cammy on the first line, Kopi and Brown will never get a shot. :)
Iafallo right now is a big part of why that line is so hot. Kid has amazing hands and sets up the other 4 guys on that line very well.

Look, last year in October after 3 games we had 0 points, for the month of October I do not believe we had a single regulation win.

Now we have 5 points, 2 regulation wins, top line is scoring, 2nd line is playing well, what's the old line if it ain't broke don't fix it.

In terms of Gaborik, where do you put him? I guess we have time to see how things progress, our thoughts today, might change a lot if and when they hit a rough patch

Also Amart is waiting in the wings, Fantenberg has a great shot, I like his game, but assume somebody has to get relegated to the 3rd pairing.
Fantenberg appears to be more physical than Amart. Amart should thrive in this offense though.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I only got to watch about 3/4 of the game as I missed the first part of the first.

I'm only going to concentrate on the positives as there's too much negative on here for a team that is got five points out of a possible six to open the season.
Can you believe it ?

Every player is getting analyzed after every game, like you can expect flawless hockey from anyone. Laughable. We would be winning 5-0 / 6-1 every game.

This whining started after the first cup and was unbearable to read. That was one of the reasons I have been gone for 2 years but it looks like nothing has changed.

I seriously like Iafallo and Fantenberg. Good to see some fresh faces on the roster again.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Would like to see Martinez put on the third pairing with Folin. 1 veteran on every pairing with 1 younger player. Marty can run beside Doughty on 1st PP while Fantenberg runs the second PP. Gets Toffoli off the point on the 1st PP as well. On heavier games sub in MacDermid. Fantenberg, and even Folin can sit a game or two here or there once Martinez is back. I would rather carry MacDermid as my 7th and let LaDue develop in the AHL.

No matter which way you look at it the Fantenberg and Folin signings combined with the Forbert, LaDue and MacDermid progress has put our Defence in a good spot.

The same with goaltending. the Kuemper signing solidifies a solid NHL tandem, then signing Patterson to backup Campbell solidifies the AHL, while we have an extra goalie in the AHL that we have to figure out how to get minutes. Blake and Co did well to start restocking the cupboards and building from the back out.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Tkachuk isn't a scrub. The kid has some talent. You don't score 50 points in the NHL if you're a scrub.

So, it's beneath Drew Doughty to fight a 19-year old punk? Crosby, Malkin, Shanahan, Orr, Howe...every era there are great players who handle their own business. You know Luc Robitaille had 11 career fights. He probably didn't win any of them, but he drew the line somewhere and I think other players respect that type of action.

The only reason Doughty won't handle his with Tkachuk is he is afraid he will get his ass beat and then be mocked.

The one thing Drew Doughty fears above all else is looking bad. Doughty doesn't have to fight the guy, but he should just shut up and look for an opportunity to punish him in the corner or along the boards. I haven't noticed him looking for an opportunity to even do that.

Doughty is embarrassing himself and the Kings with his antics, and I hope Stevens or Kopitar say something to him about it. You know guys like Mitchell, Williams, or O'Donnell would tell him to knock it off.

Much better way of putting what I was trying to say. Doughty doesn't want to fight? Fine. But do something other than lecture the guy about how he was spoon fed. I love Doughty talking shit. I do it all the time when I play too. But if you're going to talk shit and the guy elbows you in the face, you should probably do something back other than continue to talk more shit. Tkachuk says he isn't thinking about Doughty and isn't specifically targeting him but guess what? Doughty is clearly thinking about Tkachuk still.

If we weren't Kings fans we'd all be laughing at Doughty and how soft he is for getting owned by a 19 year old kid. But we are Kings fans and of course we all support him and have his back. He's always been my favorite Kings player and no shit I don't want him to get hurt but he needs to stand up for himself here. I understand there's a reason Clifford and MacDermid are on the team but sometimes you just need to handle business yourself. Like I said before, Tkachuk and more importantly his teammates will gain a lot of respect for him if he does.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

HowDareYou

Oct 20, 2016
Kings need a nasty skilled player like Simmonds...Richards....E Kane? I don't think he'd fit in the line up right now but man he would be a sick addition

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't really care about Doughty getting all upset during the game. He's always done that and will mostly likely always continue to do so. The best thing about that game last night was watching Brown come alive. I have to admit that I really thought he was done being that effective and noticeable in a hockey game. I was clearly very wrong. Seeing him hit and score like that was way better than coming away with the extra point. If he keeps that up, we are going to be much tougher to play against.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
As a fan I'd rather see King players show their emotions than be robots like we saw under Sutter. As for Cammy his ice time has gone down each game, will he make the 12 game Ted Purcell mark? There are better players in Ontario that should be getting those minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad