GDT: GM #3: LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @ 7:30

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This is actually one of the losses I was able to stomach simply because of the effort and passion displayed by the team tonight, mainly from Brown. Last season the team looked like they couldn't be bothered to show up on most nights, but this felt different. Sure, it sucks to lose, especially to see that stain of a human being scoring two goals against the Kings, but there are more meetings ahead between these two.

I only wish the Kings could find some reinforcements from the iron leagues...

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Scrub? Two more goals for the kid tonight while Doughty keeps looking like a bitch.

Doughty needs to fight him. Would do wonders for this team and the leadership he says it needs.

Ignoring it or making excuses for him being a bitch is just rampant homerism. If he wasn't a King, you'd be raking him over the coals.

There comes a point where you have to back up your mouth. Doughty is way past that point.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And let’s stop with this bull**** about Drew throwing down with Tkachuk, ey?

He was fired up at the refs and Tkachuk in the box? GOOD

Does it mean he needs to drop the gloves with Perry-reincarnate? Hell nah. We have players on this team to **** up bitchboys like Tkachuk. Drew isn’t one of them. Cut it out.

Love his emotion. Omigod he gets fired up. Cry me a river

I WANT to love Drew's emotion, but it doesn't get him anywhere positive. He comes unglued instead of playing harder/better. He goes out and takes a dumb selfish hooking penalty on Gaudreau after he feels he was wronged. He reads Tkachuk the riot act in the box and does nothing to back it up.

I love Doughty. I love yappy, smiley, trolly doughty. I Dont' love "I'm going to kick your ass" but not back it up with anything but shit play Doughty.

If that's whining, get used to it, I'll do it every time I see it.

Reactions: King'sPawn

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
What was he doing? Telling Tkachuk to eat more or something? Made that Ezekiel Elliot eating motion thing lol

Pretty sure he said something like, “you’ve had a silver f***ing spoon your whole life”... something to that effect. You can read his lips in the video.

Edit: seems this guy agrees...

Last edited:

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I WANT to love Drew's emotion, but it doesn't get him anywhere positive. He comes unglued instead of playing harder/better. He goes out and takes a dumb selfish hooking penalty on Gaudreau after he feels he was wronged. He reads Tkachuk the riot act in the box and does nothing to back it up.

I love Doughty. I love yappy, smiley, trolly doughty. I Dont' love "I'm going to kick your ass" but not back it up with anything but **** play Doughty.

If that's whining, get used to it, I'll do it every time I see it.

Eh, he got beat by a fast hockey player. He got beat so he took the hooking penalty. I don't think it was selfish.

I'd be pissed if I were him too. A few missed boarding calls, the obvious non call on gio in overtime, I'm glad he gets unwound and pissed off. Sure better than not showing any emotion.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Frustrating. However looking at the big picture its encouraging. Ignoring the return on the scoresheet Brown and Kopi look great. Kopi is going to the net more aggressively than I ever remember him doing and that drive he made on his backhand early in the game, right around the d-man is what we need to see from him constantly. Brown is just playing like Brown, he looks great.

Fantenberg looks a great pickup. I said I though he looked a solid second pairing d-man during preseason and nothing has changed my view on that. He's going to be key for us.

MacDermid is gradually being eased in and you can see the progression. If he carries on his current trajectory he'll be able to provide solid minutes for us going forward. That's a big contrast with Kempe, unfortunately . I like the kid, I think he's got something and I'm very much in favour of giving him time and having him eased into things. However after three games I can't see any progression in the positional play at center, he's not showing any improvement there. If he were I'd say stick with it, be patient but the experiment has failed IMO. He needs to move to wing but our option are ugly without a trade. At least he was .500 in the dot (1/1). I'm much more concerned with the play of Kempe's linemates. As lost as Kempe has looked at times his wingers have looked worse. Maybe a solid 3c will help.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I like Doughty talking ****. Other teams hate it, it's awesome.

But it doesn't necessarily make him play better. Talking shit is one thing, but when he gets that animated, when has that ended up being beneficial to the team? You don't want him to be a quiet robot, but again, just like Quick's athleticism, you don't want it going to the other extreme either.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
This is actually one of the losses I was able to stomach simply because of the effort and passion displayed by the team tonight, mainly from Brown. Last season the team looked like they couldn't be bothered to show up on most nights, but this felt different. Sure, it sucks to lose, especially to see that stain of a human being scoring two goals against the Kings, but there are more meetings ahead between these two.

I only wish the Kings could find some reinforcements from the iron leagues...

Flames fan here. I have been hearing from a lot of people that Brown was a shell of his former self with among the worst contracts in the league but man he doesn't show that at all when he plays against us. Good game, I hope the next encounter between us is just as fun to watch! You guys are off to a great start to the season so far, hope you keep it up!

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Only 3 games, but it's looking like a completely different team. Last season, down 2-0 early, game was over. This season they are generating quite a few prime scoring chances and actually converting. I think Stevens was probably rewarding Shore and Lewis in OT, although like the rest of you, I was wondering why the heck they were out there instead of TT and Pearson. But whatever, his team, he calls the shots now. He's certainly trying different combinations than what Sutter would've gone with. Still too early to worry about that 70s line considering their past output while playing together. Heck, if Sutter were still in charge, he'd already have broken the line up. Win/Loss results have been good so far, but the eyeball test is what really has me excited about the team.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Who's embarrassed besides you? Doughty dropping the gloves is exactly what that scrub wants. That where guys like Clifford, mcd need to do something, not your best defender.

Tkachuk isn't a scrub. The kid has some talent. You don't score 50 points in the NHL if you're a scrub.

So, it's beneath Drew Doughty to fight a 19-year old punk? Crosby, Malkin, Shanahan, Orr, Howe...every era there are great players who handle their own business. You know Luc Robitaille had 11 career fights. He probably didn't win any of them, but he drew the line somewhere and I think other players respect that type of action.

The only reason Doughty won't handle his with Tkachuk is he is afraid he will get his ass beat and then be mocked.

The one thing Drew Doughty fears above all else is looking bad. Doughty doesn't have to fight the guy, but he should just shut up and look for an opportunity to punish him in the corner or along the boards. I haven't noticed him looking for an opportunity to even do that.

Doughty is embarrassing himself and the Kings with his antics, and I hope Stevens or Kopitar say something to him about it. You know guys like Mitchell, Williams, or O'Donnell would tell him to knock it off.

Last edited:

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
So did Dustin Brown hate playing for Sutter the last couple of years or what?
Tonight was a flashback of Brown earlier this decade. Hitting, scoring, and being a pain in the ass player.

Man if he can produce, could be a decent year..

Honestly, i feel like Sutter neutered Brown the last couple seasons. As much as i love Sutter, Brown and kopi have always had great chemistry with one another. Brown spent a lot of time in the bottom six while Kopi had rotating wingers on the top line. Im happy Stevens has reunited them because it seems to have benefited them both. Brown has that fire back in his game that's we've only been seeing glimpses of for the last couple seasons and its going to be exciting to see if he and Kopi can keep it up.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
The Carter line had a couple good looks, but they haven't been as effective as last year.

Biggest problem to me is the abysmal powerplay. Toffoli as the 4th forward just isn't working for me. I wonder if Kopitar would be a better forward on the point?
Abysmal? PP looks great, they essentially had a pp goal last night. The Kings lost because Quick got outplayed by Smith. When was the last time Quick ever let a player shove a puck into the net thru his pads?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Only 3 games, but it's looking like a completely different team. Last season, down 2-0 early, game was over. This season they are generating quite a few prime scoring chances and actually converting. I think Stevens was probably rewarding Shore and Lewis in OT, although like the rest of you, I was wondering why the heck they were out there instead of TT and Pearson. But whatever, his team, he calls the shots now. He's certainly trying different combinations than what Sutter would've gone with. Still too early to worry about that 70s line considering their past output while playing together. Heck, if Sutter were still in charge, he'd already have broken the line up. Win/Loss results have been good so far, but the eyeball test is what really has me excited about the team.
yep last year we may as well have turned the game off as soon as they went down 0-2 cause all we were gonna get was a garbage time goal if we're lucky

can't win every single game and like you said, the eye test is very encouraging for a new system under a new coach

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Abysmal? PP looks great, they essentially had a pp goal last night. The Kings lost because Quick got outplayed by Smith. When was the last time Quick ever let a player shove a puck into the net thru his pads?
really though, he shouldn't have had to worry about a player shoving a puck through his pads because muzzin lost his mind and left his post for no reason. if muzzin is anchored down on his original spot there, that's the easiest stick check of the century for him but he grossly overplayed it and ran away

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
really though, he shouldn't have had to worry about a player shoving a puck through his pads because muzzin lost his mind and left his post for no reason. if muzzin is anchored down on his original spot there, that's the easiest stick check of the century for him but he grossly overplayed it and ran away
I agree that Muzzin was the main culprit but Quick just doesn't let those in.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
What a game by the Kopitar line. 6 points, with Iafallo picking up his first point. Way to go, rookie. Keep up the hard work and there'll be more firsts. Really like how this line has clicked.

I don't know if anyone caught it, but Kopitar knew it was his first point and picked up the puck as soon as he could. There's chemistry and great spirit on that line.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
What a game by the Kopitar line. 6 points, with Iafallo picking up his first point. Way to go, rookie. Keep up the hard work and there'll be more firsts. Really like how this line has clicked.

I don't know if anyone caught it, but Kopitar knew it was his first point and picked up the puck as soon as he could. There's chemistry and great spirit on that line.
i saw that too, i was confused at first cause i knew it was brownie's tip, but kopi already knew iafallo was gonna get a point for the pass out

4d chess

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I only got to watch about 3/4 of the game as I missed the first part of the first.

I'm only going to concentrate on the positives as there's too much negative on here for a team that is got five points out of a possible six to open the season.

Military and Brown both look great and more in Porten Lee look like they can play in a new upbeat system.

Iafallo looks really good as well. I would experiment dropping him down to the third line and putting Cammy on the top line for a couple games. That is no slight on Iafallo and actually more praise to him as I believe he would help out on the third line defensively more than Cammy. Cammy needs to find his scoring punch and with Kooitar and Brown having big bodies and great puck possession he could be a natural fit on that line where his defensive. deficiencies won't hurt as much.

I wasn't sold on our rookie defenseman. I will reserve judgment does on MacDermid and I would like to give a shout out to
Fantenberg

I think that Fantenberg has the tools to be an effective number two pairing Defensemen that can be given top line power play time. I love a shot and how aggressive he is with the puck in the offensive zone.

As for McDermid it is very early and very limited minutes and I am impressed with what I've seen but there still a large growth curve. He seems to be handling what has been given to them and Erleen a few more minutes every week and hope that trend continues as it would be nice to have a big bodied, Crease clearing natural defenseman back there.

I know it's like wishing for a unicorn but is anybody other than me excited to see what Gaborik can provide in this new system once healthy?

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
And the other thing that we missed last night going into overtime is of course Alex Martinez. He would've probably had the shift right after Doughty and just his vision, skating abilities and skill may have changed the outcome of that game last night

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Praying for a speedy recovery for Clifford and crossing my fingers Gaborik doesn't re-injure himself in his first 30 seconds back.

Guessing Marty will be back this weekend against Buffalo or NYI which should help out.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Not exactly the same player but asking Doughty to fight is like asking Karlsson to fight. Anybody who thinks you just go out there and drop the gloves probably has never dropped the gloves or been in a street fight. Doughty could literally get destroyed by Tkachuk and be out a long time, he's not a fighter, he's a gifted, skilled hockey player who should be protected by his teammates. This is the new NHL, you can't just go and throw Baumgartner and McSorley out there to take care of Tkachuk. It was a close game, you have to deal with the kids antics without taking a penalty and hope you win the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad