OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I just love the aspect where if a character dies you lose them for good. It makes even standard supply runs feel so much more intense.

The first time I played it I had a character super leveled up in almost every category, he was a real zombie slayer. My own stupidity caused me to get into a situation I couldn't get out of and got him killed. It raises the tension like 10-fold when there are actual consequences for being stupid. :laugh:

Definitely, and for that reason, it's one of the more intense games I've ever played. I got the "main" character killed early on in my first runthrough unfortunately, but at least I had a few other characters that were capable all game.

The Fire Emblem series also has the perma-death feature, but in Awakening (the only one I've played), I just found myself leveling up the same characters the whole time, so every character was either never really in danger or completely disposable. I feel like SoD was at least a little better in that regard.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Getting the itch to buy Destiny 2...

The first was just so bland to me. I didn't feel it did anything special to draw me in. I did only play it singleplayer though, and I've heard it's a lot more fun playing co-op.

Also, really getting back into PUBG. So intense. I still can't win a game though. Probably got about ten top-5s, and my best was second once. Someday.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Really want to try PUBG soon.

Getting back into Horizon Zero Dawn lately. There's a ton of depth to this game that I didn't really see before. I've gone a few months without playing it, but I'm enjoying more now that I've picked it back up.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Really want to try PUBG soon.

Getting back into Horizon Zero Dawn lately. There's a ton of depth to this game that I didn't really see before. I've gone a few months without playing it, but I'm enjoying more now that I've picked it back up.

HZD is my game of the generation so far.

That game just scratched almost every gaming itch I've got.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
The first was just so bland to me. I didn't feel it did anything special to draw me in. I did only play it singleplayer though, and I've heard it's a lot more fun playing co-op.

Also, really getting back into PUBG. So intense. I still can't win a game though. Probably got about ten top-5s, and my best was second once. Someday.

Destiny was a blast playing with friends. Up until you've done everything than it's just a grind for gear which, to me, is so boring.

Bought 2 last night but couldn't play as there were PS4/PS + sign in errors. Pretty frustrating, hopefully tonight.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Games like Destiny were a terrible waste of time. Unfortunately when I used to play games like that I had to be the best at everything; meaning hours and hours and hours of time going into the 'grind'. I went as far as finding ways to skip classes and neglect sleep, even work was put into question.
It was not healthy for me and I actually envied those who could 'check' themselves and realize it was just a game.
Thank goodness I stopped after the hunger of crota DLC, because since, I've focused on my life and staying away from most games. At most I'll put in an hour a week into rocket league or BoTW.

I've taken such a 180 on my perspective of gaming it's quite incredible. At the end of the day during my hardcore gaming phase I just felt empty, like games offered nothing more than a false sense of accomplishment.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Destiny 2 is awesome. Really fun and I'm digging most of the changes. Campaigns done though, let's see if they've done enough to keep me interested for "end game" content.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Sounds like Nintendo's about to announce no more games for the 3DS; shifting heavily toward the Switch.

RIP Gameboy. Time to trade mine in.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I still have my Gameboy Color with Pokémon Yellow sitting in my closet somewhere. Logged a lot of hours on that thing.

A wild Rattata appears!

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Sounds like Nintendo's about to announce no more games for the 3DS; shifting heavily toward the Switch.

RIP Gameboy. Time to trade mine in.

Source? I thought they promised support for several years at least still, which I would assume mean at least some new development.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Source? I thought they promised support for several years at least still, which I would assume mean at least some new development.

Giantbomb (West) was just talking about it on their podcast - Nothing "published" per se. Sounds like Nintendo 1st party only. 3rd party companies will still develop 3DS games long after Nintendo unofficially stops supporting the platform.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Update - I bought Destiny 2. Most of my free time has been going to Destiny 2.

It's been a lot of fun playing it. I never got into Destiny 1, but I can see the appeal now. It's a great time getting together with a group and trying to do those raids/nightfalls/etc.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Got my SNES Classic on Friday. Got in line at 5:30am at my local Target and there was only 1 other guy in line. A Target employee came out, handed us vouchers and said we could come back at 7am to pick up our systems. It was way smoother than I expected and from the Target employee's estimates, I was probably only the 10th person in line to get one.

Anyway, I spent most of Friday on a nostalgia trip playing Super Mario World, MarioKart, StarFox, Street Fighter II, and a few others. My only real gripe (besides the controller cord lengths) is the lack of sports games. No NHL, Madden or anything else, which I guess I understand due to probably licensing issues, but I had thought since the NES Classic included a watered-down version of Tecmo Bowl that the SNES would get something similar.

Oh well, not complaining too much as the rest of the system is pretty awesome and it's pretty fun to play one of the systems I grew up on with my 6 year old.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think you can get wireless controllers for it online? Not 100% sure on that though. I will be trying to get one on the next wave when they come out...unless anyone knows a better way to get them :)

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I think you can get wireless controllers for it online? Not 100% sure on that though. I will be trying to get one on the next wave when they come out...unless anyone knows a better way to get them :)

Yeah, there are already some wireless 3rd party controllers out there and more on the way that should be good quality. For now, the cords work fine and they're at least longer than the cords on the NES Classic.

My guess is the SNES is way easier to get than the NES, which fits what Nintendo has been telling us all summer/fall. You shouldn't have a problem getting one if you keep your eyes open.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
PUBG has kinda settled down now where there doesnt seem to be as many trolls. Thats still the worst part of the game is doing duo/squad and getting a guy that tks you or does not understand teamwork.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
So I picked up a Breath of the Wild playing machine last week (mainly for the Mario game coming out later). I can't say that I'm not enjoying Zelda, but it feels like the hype train was built up pretty high for this game ... is it a slower burn that's going to catch up to me later? I'm pretty early on in the game, I think, just unlocking the camera and now trying to regain some memory.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm also buying a Switch soon mainly for the Mario game, but also a Zelda fan, so I'm curious.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I had a nice reply typed up about BotW, but the boards ate it because they seemingly insist on constantly refreshing...

TL;DR: if you're more than ~10 hours in and the game hasn't "clicked" for you, it probably won't.

Between the weather issues, weapon degradation, etc, the game felt like a slog for me, and I gave up after about 40 hours, and likely won't go back. It's a good game, not a great game, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad