OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
BotW is an overhyped decent game with so many fanboys who try to force it's "awesomeness" down everyones throat. Played it for couple of hours, was meh.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
BotW is an overhyped decent game with so many fanboys who try to force it's "awesomeness" down everyones throat. Played it for couple of hours, was meh.
It's firmly in the 7/10 range for me.

Note that that's ~70%, not what a ton of games journalists count a 7/10 as. It's a good enough game that trades heavily on nostalgia and name recognition. Has some really cool ideas, and some really bad ideas.

It's worth playing for Switch owners (because what the hell else is there?), but by no possible stretch does it deserve 10/10, GAME OF THE YEAR RAAAAAWR kind of support. I'll agree completely, the Nintendo fanboy hype hurts the game a little, for me, too.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm glad others feel this way, definitely feels like a decent game (but looks fantastic) at best. I was having a hard time reconciling these reviews by critics and fans ranking as one of the best ever...

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
10/10 game for me. Love it. It's just as obnoxious to hear people bash the love for it as it is to hear people fanboy over it. Ridiculous to be bothered by other people's opinion on a video game.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
10/10 game for me. Love it. It's just as obnoxious to hear people bash the love for it as it is to hear people fanboy over it. Ridiculous to be bothered by other people's opinion on a video game.
When you can't spend time in your frequent stomping grounds for gaming news/discussion without people unerringly steering conversation back to a single game, it becomes tiresome.

I don't begrudge someone for liking the game more than me, opinions are subjective. But when ANY piece of media becomes big enough that it's getting shoe-horned in, over-saturation, over-exposure, it just loses meaning. This is by no means specific to BotW, it's just the example at hand.

Think about how much people talked about Titanic, about Avatar, about comic book movies, about Harry Potter, about GoT. Most of those are things that I'm personally just kind of over hearing about, they were (or still are) discussed to death. Hell, look at what's happened to Rick and Morty. I love that show, but that's a hardcore fanbase that instantly gets a negative reaction out of me with their overzealousness. That's the same vibe I got from the hardcore and extremely vocal BotW fanbase.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think I'm running out of stuff to do in Destiny 2... Currently hovering around level 270.

Really don't enjoy Crucible, so I'm avoiding. Haven't participated in any raids yet. I still really enjoy traveling around and shooting stuff, but I'm not getting higher level gear, which is disappointing. Sounds like you almost NEED to do group events to get close to level 300?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah. I didn't start getting higher until I started doing all of the weekly milestones. You get big #'s from Nightfall and the Raid. And for a time, you have to just equip your highest level stuff even if you don't like it...just so you can get higher level drops/etc.

We've beaten the Raid 3 times now I think so the sense of accomplishment is going down a little bit each time but it's still a ton of fun and really cool to work together as a group. There are some dumb parts where you get screwed but still has been my favorite part. I think I'm around 301 now.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I saw that LA Noire is being re-released in November, I believe.

I think I'll buy it if I can find it somewhere on Black Friday for 30 or 40 bucks. It was a really cool game. Supposedly the "remastered" version has updated graphics/textures, and includes all the DLC. I don't remember playing any of the DLC, and it's been probably 4 years since I've played it initially, so I barely remember the story.

I thought it was such a unique game, though. Really cool driving in an open-world 1940's Los Angeles setting. Going to different scenes and finding clues at your own leisure.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I saw that LA Noire is being re-released in November, I believe.

I think I'll buy it if I can find it somewhere on Black Friday for 30 or 40 bucks. It was a really cool game. Supposedly the "remastered" version has updated graphics/textures, and includes all the DLC. I don't remember playing any of the DLC, and it's been probably 4 years since I've played it initially, so I barely remember the story.

I thought it was such a unique game, though. Really cool driving in an open-world 1940's Los Angeles setting. Going to different scenes and finding clues at your own leisure.

Yeah, I really had fun with this game when it was initially released. Was kind of sad when they indicated there won't be a sequel or similar type of game.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I actually bought LA Noire on PC like 4 months ago. Annoying considering they're remastering it now.

Apparently it's supposed to have VR as well. HTC Vive exclusive however (like Fallout 4 VR), which is also very annoying for those of us who have Oculus Rift.

The most interesting thing about replaying that game is how I looked upon it with rose tinted glasses regarding its facial animation. At the time it was so revolutionary, but now that technology has caught up, the faces clearly look like they're just videos painted on to the 3D heads. Some other games facial modelling looks a lot better nowadays.

All the actors had to have slicked back hair (which doesn't go against the style too much considering that was very in in the 1940's) because of the limitations of the capturing. Actors could not move their bodies or heads at all either; they had to remain mostly still and only have facial movement.

The end result looks pretty cool but on PC you can see the image noise clearly on the actors faces, and they don't have any clearly defined mouth mesh, it's just a recessed hole with the image overlayed into it.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Gran Turismo is finally out. I picked it up today, but haven't played it yet.

Shadow of War is kind of fun, but not something I'd recommend buying. It gets repetitive quickly.

Reactions: Minnesota

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Anyone get Metroid: Samus Returns? My only experience with 2D Metroid was starting Super Metroid about a year ago, but I couldn't finish it. It didn't really seem like it aged well, and I couldn't get into it. Samus Returns is awesome. Very surprised by how much I liked it, and I actually thought it was very addicting.

I totally get the 2D Metroid hype now. I was always a big 3D Metroid fan and thought I couldn't like 2D over it, but this was fantastic.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Gran Turismo is finally out. I picked it up today, but haven't played it yet.

Shadow of War is kind of fun, but not something I'd recommend buying. It gets repetitive quickly.
It'll be a great bargain buy in a year when it's ~$20. That's what I've been telling people so far.

Fans of the nemesis system from the first game will find this better, more robust, and with even more personality. But the game itself is blatantly padded, and absolutely wears thin. And the story is laughable, it's downright bad fanfiction nearly from the get-go.

The microtransaction stuff was totally overblown, though, there's no reason to spend more money on the game.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Disappointing things to hear about Shadow of War. That was one of my more anticipated games of 2017. Oh well, I'll pick up for a bargain someday like Vashanesh suggested.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Disappointing things to hear about Shadow of War. That was one of my more anticipated games of 2017. Oh well, I'll pick up for a bargain someday like Vashanesh suggested.
It's not a bad game, but the improvements they made over the first are good-not-great, and with the story being laughably bad... It's just not worth 60 bucks.

Good game, but zero longevity (that you want), no online component that matters, so playing it 6 months or a year from now, you'll still have the exact same experience you'd have now. I hate to dump on single player games for... being single player games? But this one just doesn't warrant the investment in my eyes, especially when the investment will be less soon, and the experience will be identical.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's not a bad game, but the improvements they made over the first are good-not-great, and with the story being laughably bad... It's just not worth 60 bucks.

Good game, but zero longevity (that you want), no online component that matters, so playing it 6 months or a year from now, you'll still have the exact same experience you'd have now. I hate to dump on single player games for... being single player games? But this one just doesn't warrant the investment in my eyes, especially when the investment will be less soon, and the experience will be identical.

To get the 2nd ending you do need the online portions of the game, it's the only reasonable way to get to the level cap. I don't like that you don't get any exp in the game unless it's from a quest or from kill/dominate the Captain guys. Random orcs and beasts don't give any exp.

I was level 47 and completed the first ending and all the side quests. The cap is level 60. The last Captain that needs killing, to complete the defend your forts, is level 65. I'm glad I looked it up before I went through the hassle of trying to get myself and all my defenders close to the level cap.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Looking forward to Mario on Friday ... but I'm strangely REALLY looking forward to Assassins Creed: Origins. Big fan of that series up through the American one (which I know, didn't review that well even though I loved it) and have just plain not liked Blag Flag through the last one. Origins really looks fun though.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Looking forward to Mario on Friday ... but I'm strangely REALLY looking forward to Assassins Creed: Origins. Big fan of that series up through the American one (which I know, didn't review that well even though I loved it) and have just plain not liked Blag Flag through the last one. Origins really looks fun though.
I'll have to check out Origins. I'm with you though, AC3 was one of my favorite in the entire series. Loved the colonial America setting.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Same. My two most wanted games of the year. I'm probably buying a Switch this week mainly for the Mario game.

As for AC, I've been wanting Egypt as a setting for forever, so I'm really pumped for that. I thought AC:3 (the American one) was the worst by far in the series (haven't played the past one or two though), but Black Flag may have actually been the best. That game was fantastic.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm disappointed in the new Gran Turismo. The driving is excellent, and the graphics amazing. But I miss the career mode, and thousand+ cars from all different era's; there is around 150 cars now. It's now geared heavily for online racing.

There aren't the add-on upgrades (exhaust, brakes, etc) for cars either, just a couple of basic weight and HP buttons. It has a very stock feel for all the cars.

Most of the customization is now just how the car, helmet, and firesuit look. It's kind of fun to trick out the paint job of a car, but not something I'll spend a lot of time messing with.

For how I like to play, GT-6 has so much more to offer as a game.

Edit* If the server is down or your internet is down the game has very little to do. You need to level your driver up before most of the tracks open up. You can't even save your game.

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Was reading about Red Dead Redemption 2 yesterday, and found out the the original Red Dead Redemption is backwards compatible.

Fired it up on my XB1 last night. I was actually kind of surprised at how well the graphics hold up, considering the game is almost a decade old. It's one of my favorite games ever, so it'll be fun to play through it again.

Massively looking forward to RDR2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->