OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
A couple of hours into Super Mario Odyssey. It's fun, very pretty, and sounds good. I really don't like Nintendo shoving motion controls into the game when they left at least 2 buttons on the pro controller basically unmapped. It also doesn't feel as tight as Galaxy felt to me. I'm having fun but I'm really not getting a huge "10/10, best game of the year!!!" feeling yet.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
A couple of hours into Super Mario Odyssey. It's fun, very pretty, and sounds good. I really don't like Nintendo shoving motion controls into the game when they left at least 2 buttons on the pro controller basically unmapped. It also doesn't feel as tight as Galaxy felt to me. I'm having fun but I'm really not getting a huge "10/10, best game of the year!!!" feeling yet.
So pumped to play it. Need to buy a Switch though still.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 recently. The only problem I had with the first game was that it was difficult to get into the story-line right away, as the game sort of threw a soft intro at you with a tutorial dungeon. In the end, I loved D:OS and got crazily addicted to it, but it took about 2-3 hours before I started to get into it. D:OS2 has captured me immediately. The story starts off with a bang, and wastes no time in any kind of a soft tutorial type of dungeon like the first one did, instead letting the player learn on the fly from the pop-up help (which can be disabled when no longer needed). It retains all of the class/ability customization of the first game, and now some of the builds from the first game are actually even more viable, or viable much sooner than they used to be, allowing the scaling of power vs levels to be smoother. As an example, I'm playing an undead character, focused on fighting, geomancy (for poison spells), and necromancy, making him a stort of D&D Blackguard. Because he's undead, poison heals him inherently while hurting all the living enemies around him, and the more blood on the battlefield, the better, as he can also heal from that. In the first game, a build like that wouuld have taken over half the game to get rolling, as you'd need to find ways to get your poison resistance up above 100%.

So, I got addicted to that game right away, and since I'm in school right now for a STEM degree which requires a lot of studying, I've actually had to force myself to shelf the game until winter break, during which I will smash my way through it! I would recommend that game at full price ($45) for any Isometric RPG lovers, and would also recommend it to anyone that just likes fun stories and has lots of time on their hands.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I want to like original sin (both 1 and 2) because it really is right up my alley.... But I bounce off of the combat very hard. All of the environmental damage and status effects make for a very messy battlefield and I can't get around it. I'll probably try to get back into the newest one after I'm done with assassins creed and mario.

That being said, having a ton of fun with assassins creed. Egypt as a setting is amazing, story so far seems interesting. Quests are largely the same as all previous games though. Mario is fun but like TGF mentioned, motion controls are a pain the ass

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I want to like original sin (both 1 and 2) because it really is right up my alley.... But I bounce off of the combat very hard. All of the environmental damage and status effects make for a very messy battlefield and I can't get around it. I'll probably try to get back into the newest one after I'm done with assassins creed and mario.

That being said, having a ton of fun with assassins creed. Egypt as a setting is amazing, story so far seems interesting. Quests are largely the same as all previous games though. Mario is fun but like TGF mentioned, motion controls are a pain the ass

I get that. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about it either, but eventually I found myself enjoying the combat because it was a bit messy. It forced me out of the streamlined combat I'm used to in games, and made me consider all the combinations of actions and all their consequences. It's not a particularly forgiving system when you make a mistake, but it is often spectacular.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Has anyone played NHL18?

The expansion draft part of it seems interesting, but it could have been implemented badly.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I've been playing it...mainly just Be a Pro and EASHL. I haven't really gotten into the new stuff a whole lot yet. So far it seems like a lot of the same stuff as NHL17, but I can't say for sure. I did see that you can create your own team to make it 32 in the league which is intriguing. I'll probably try that sometime.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So I bought a Switch last night with Odyssey, and I'm loving it so far. The concept of Power Moons is very different. I found like 9 on the first level before deciding to look up how many there were on each level, and I was shocked to see 50+ on some. That's crazy. It's really a bunch of mini objectives in that sense. Exploring is a lot of fun to me at least. I think I ended with around 45 Moons last night from the first few levels.

For those mentioning motion controls, is there anything where you have to actually use motion? I was having the hardest time getting that spin attack to work with motion (i.e. to collect coins in a circle), and I hadn't found yet if there was a way to use buttons.

I was mostly playing with the separated joycons, and I'm just not a huge fan of those things. I'll probably have to get the overpriced pro controller here pretty soon.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've played a bit of NHL 18, basically just a few quick games and a bunch of the Threes mode with some buddies. None of the hardcore modes yet.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Anyone gonna get star wars battlefront 2? It looks way better than the 1st one.
I pre ordered it. I guess there is a significant story mode on this. Pre ordering gets me some bonuses like the Millennium Falcon. Yay!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So Reddit is AT WAR with EA right now over this Star Wars Battlefront game. :laugh:

They're apparently doing an AMA tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I saw that Game Informer pulled their review because of some changes...Andrew Reiner who is writing it is talking about how there are huge advantages for people who pay to play or buy loot packs with real money/etc. I hate that kind of stuff, if I put $60 into a game I don't want to sink any more into that.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah apparently to unlock characters (like Darth Vader) you have to either play like 60+ hours, or just pay for them.

I'd be pretty annoyed if I payed full retail for a game and then was hit with that paywall.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
SkyrimVR is cool as hell. Too bad that the visual quality of the PSVR headset is kinda poor and that the PS4 isn't powerful enough to really make it look good. Even so though, its a lot of fun.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Triple chicken dinners tonight, one solo & two squad.
Damn, son! I'm terrible at that game. I've got two chicken dinners my entire time playing it, and I seem to actually be getting worse. Once upon a time I was halfway decent at FPS games, but I've played too many RPGs since then.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This makes me happy. GT Sport is getting the "Sunday Cup" race content added in a December patch.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Trying to get my hands on a SNES Classic. Anyone fortunate enough to have gotten one?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Been playing through Red Dead Redemption again. It's such a great game, I'm SO pumped for the new one. Can't wait to see what Rockstar will be able to do with the Old West setting on the current gen consoles.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Been playing through Red Dead Redemption again. It's such a great game, I'm SO pumped for the new one. Can't wait to see what Rockstar will be able to do with the Old West setting on the current gen consoles.

I'm bummed they haven't done a remaster yet, i'd like to play it again before the new game is released and don't want to pay for PS's streaming service.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->