OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Been playing The Show lately. The franchise mode is awesome. Going to lead the Twins to glory.

Yeah, it's an impressive baseball sim that's for sure. Road to the show is fun too, but I think it's time to up the difficulty... a homer or two a night for the Chatanooga Lookouts is getting a little unrealistic!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, it's an impressive baseball sim that's for sure. Road to the show is fun too, but I think it's time to up the difficulty... a homer or two a night for the Chatanooga Lookouts is getting a little unrealistic!

Haha yeah, I started a RTTS while I was waiting for the comprehensive roster from Operation Sports to be released.

I was a 3B and got drafted by the Braves. I feel like I need a hitting difficulty between Veteran and All Star. On Veteran I just smash, and All Star I get killed :laugh:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Haha yeah, I started a RTTS while I was waiting for the comprehensive roster from Operation Sports to be released.

I was a 3B and got drafted by the Braves. I feel like I need a hitting difficulty between Veteran and All Star. On Veteran I just smash, and All Star I get killed :laugh:

LOL. I went through the same thing. Was not hitting All-Star so I turned it back to the medium difficulty with the thought that I'd put it back on the adaptive setting once I get called up to the Twins big league roster. But I'm hitting something like .440 now with 30+ HR and they haven't even moved me up to Triple-A.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So I've had an itch for some city simulationing and since the most recent Sim City is garbage, I went looking for other stuff and ended up getting Cities Skylines.

I'm going to be losing whole days to this game. Holy crap. It's like what the evolution of Sim City should have been after Sim City 4. MY city is tiny and its challenging and rewarding!

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
So I've had an itch for some city simulationing and since the most recent Sim City is garbage, I went looking for other stuff and ended up getting Cities Skylines.

I'm going to be losing whole days to this game. Holy crap. It's like what the evolution of Sim City should have been after Sim City 4. MY city is tiny and its challenging and rewarding!

C:S is a fantastic game, and leagues better than most recent Sim City. Every now and then I find myself wanting to come back to C:S, but I get disheartened a bit because my savegame has a whole host of modded content that disappears when the mods are gone, rendering most of my city worthless and unplayable. I just never quite feel like starting a whole new city from scratch.

Plus I'm not a very good city planner. Most of my neighborhoods end up being grids :laugh:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
My problem with C:S is that my PC is a bit too underpowered for it. Not much, but I feel I could enjoy the game far more if I could run it more smoothly and properly enjoy the graphics. Right now, medium-low settings, and I'm getting occasional frame drops and stuff which don't exactly add to the experience.

Still, it is addictive and so, so very good. Especially once you get to explore all the modded content, which there is aplenty.

A couple of old screenshots, from the time I still had time to play:

[spoil]
xt7TZLR.jpg

8Tv6ijkCjc.jpg

H9wkFpNEN8.jpg

[/spoil]

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
C:S is a fantastic game, and leagues better than most recent Sim City. Every now and then I find myself wanting to come back to C:S, but I get disheartened a bit because my savegame has a whole host of modded content that disappears when the mods are gone, rendering most of my city worthless and unplayable. I just never quite feel like starting a whole new city from scratch.

Plus I'm not a very good city planner. Most of my neighborhoods end up being grids :laugh:

Why do mods disappear?

And I too am suck in the grid mindset I have developed from years of Sim City on SNES, Sim City 2000 in DOS and Windows, and Sim City 4 out the wazoo on my two previous machines. I really need to start taking advantage of freeform and curved roads.

Right now my city is in a transition phase. I'm trying to get another residential area going, but the damn area is a hill and it's halving the amount of zones that can be stuck in. I'm also trying to get the garbage and sludge off the waterfront which is where I had to put the sewage pipe when I started the city because I had yet to expand to another body of water. All of my industrial zones seem to be dying off despite being in demand and having good connections to the highway (I ****ing love how easy it is to construct custom interchanges btw, I just wish there were different grades of highway from 2 lanes up through 10 and 12 lanes. Additionally, why no three lane one way roads on the medium road panel?), and I'm constantly making minor ****ups that leave part of my city without power for a day or two.

This is fun as hell and really rewarding compared to the cakewalk that is Sim City 4.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Overwatch is still really good. Still play a few hours every week.

Anyone know the next character? Not sure they've announced another one past Orisa...

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Cities Skylines is amazing. And yeah like everyone said, I always end up making grids lol. The traffic can be very annoying though. I'll have a perfect layout and they can still find a way to create major gridlock

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Damnit guys, you're making me want to buy this game. :laugh:

It looks like it is coming out on XB1 this Friday, actually. That's intriguing.

Although it seems like a game that would be much easier to play on PC.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Damnit guys, you're making me want to buy this game. :laugh:

It looks like it is coming out on XB1 this Friday, actually. That's intriguing.

Although it seems like a game that would be much easier to play on PC.

Sim City 1 played just fine with an SNES controller, so I have to imagine Cities: Skylines will play just fine with an Xbox controller.

City builders are one of the few genres that can translate well between console and pc.

And my god I can not put this thing down. I should have been in bed hours ago so I could sleep before the game, but nope! Playing cities, finding ways to attack that ****ing perpetual traffic jam that is my town square as well as crafting lovecraftian freeway exits because every ****ing exit by my industrial areas is a ****ing traffic nightmare.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 again. Old PC games with a decent story lines.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Sim City 1 played just fine with an SNES controller, so I have to imagine Cities: Skylines will play just fine with an Xbox controller.

City builders are one of the few genres that can translate well between console and pc.

And my god I can not put this thing down. I should have been in bed hours ago so I could sleep before the game, but nope! Playing cities, finding ways to attack that ****ing perpetual traffic jam that is my town square as well as crafting lovecraftian freeway exits because every ****ing exit by my industrial areas is a ****ing traffic nightmare.

Make sure to visit the subreddit.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's been rumored for a while, IIRC.

He was rumored before Sombra was, for sure. Can't remember if he was was supposed to be before Ana as well. I know his name's been brought up pretty much since the game was released. At least it feels like that anyway.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He was rumored before Sombra was, for sure. Can't remember if he was was supposed to be before Ana as well. I know his name's been brought up pretty much since the game was released. At least it feels like that anyway.

I thought pre-Ana as well. At this point it feels like he'll never come out. Maybe they're having difficulty getting his mechanics to balance well with the other characters.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Been playing Cities: Skylines on XB1 for a couple days now. I'm really enjoying it! The controls are really intuitive and work very well, which is something I was skeptical about.

Are there like "challenges" that come with the game, or is it all just a sandbox, start a new game on a new map and do whatever you want?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad