OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Hugart

Dec 23, 2016
Farming Simulator 2017

Go ahead...judge me.

I've played Farming Simulator 2015. It's a great way keep busy (kind of) while listening to some podcast. FS always reminds me of Cox n' Crendor which is what I listened to when I played. I like to drive around and just mow grass everywhere :D (Is that right? mow grass? Or do you cut grass and mow the lawn?)

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I've played Farming Simulator 2015. It's a great way keep busy (kind of) while listening to some podcast. FS always reminds me of Cox n' Crendor which is what I listened to when I played. I like to drive around and just mow grass everywhere :D (Is that right? mow grass? Or do you cut grass and mow the lawn?)

That's usually what I do too. Mute the TV and listen to podcasts/audiobooks. It's a good way for me to wind down before I got o bed.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Went to Walmart this morning after work and came home with Doom, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Fallout 4.

For 95 bucks.

I think that's gonna be money very well spent.

Been playing Cities: Skylines on XB1 for a couple days now. I'm really enjoying it! The controls are really intuitive and work very well, which is something I was skeptical about.

Are there like "challenges" that come with the game, or is it all just a sandbox, start a new game on a new map and do whatever you want?

There are some scenarios I think. Especially if the XB1 version comes with Natural Disasters included.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Went to Walmart this morning after work and came home with Doom, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Fallout 4.

For 95 bucks.

I think that's gonna be money very well spent.

Wow, that's some good value for 3 great games.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Fallout 4 is definitely very good. As is GTA V.

The beauty of those games is you can go like 6 months or a year without playing and jump right back in. I go in spurts like that with Fallout 4, GTA V, and Skyrim.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I tried to get into Fallout 4 but I just couldn't. Was a huge let-down from the previous games in the franchise (well, minus FO3). Basically none of the choices you make actually have any impact on the game and the dialogue wheel options are vague and sometimes inaccurate. Plus the dialogue is just not very great. Such a pretty game and there was a really cool world built around a mediocre main game.

If it wasn't called "Fallout" I'd probably enjoy it more, but I expected a RPG and I got more of an Action-Adventure game. Like if they would've had FO4's world, with NV's dialogue/options, and none of that building crap that would be one of the best games ever.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I bought PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. I've never played mouse/keyboard before, so that takes some adjustment. So far my best is 18th in solo (twice). Basically my strategy has been to jump off the plane to somewhere sparse, hope you find a car, then just drive quite a ways away to start looting in peace. Lotta fun so far even if I suck.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I bought PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. I've never played mouse/keyboard before, so that takes some adjustment. So far my best is 18th in solo (twice). Basically my strategy has been to jump off the plane to somewhere sparse, hope you find a car, then just drive quite a ways away to start looting in peace. Lotta fun so far even if I suck.

I wish I had a PC to play that on, I keep watching the Giant Bomb streams and it looks so fun.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I wish I had a PC to play that on, I keep watching the Giant Bomb streams and it looks so fun.

This is literally the first PC game I've ever bought. I bought a good enough gaming laptop a few months back, and I'm running with the graphics set to pretty low, but it still runs very well. It is definitely fun... if you're good. :laugh: I think duo/squad would be more fun than solo too. From the streams I've watched, it gets super intense at the end, but I've only made it to 18th, so not quite there yet.

The good news is that it's supposedly coming to consoles down the line, but I'm guessing that's a long ways off still.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I tried to get into Fallout 4 but I just couldn't. Was a huge let-down from the previous games in the franchise (well, minus FO3). Basically none of the choices you make actually have any impact on the game and the dialogue wheel options are vague and sometimes inaccurate. Plus the dialogue is just not very great. Such a pretty game and there was a really cool world built around a mediocre main game.

If it wasn't called "Fallout" I'd probably enjoy it more, but I expected a RPG and I got more of an Action-Adventure game. Like if they would've had FO4's world, with NV's dialogue/options, and none of that building crap that would be one of the best games ever.

I think this sums up my feelings on FO4 really, really well.

It's not that it's a bad game. To me, it's just not a great Fallout game. I put maybe 15-20 hours into 4 and just wasn't in love and the story hadn't sucked me in. Set it down for some other flavor of the month, and never went back.

I think a bit of it is fatigue with Bethesda's style of open-world RPGs, too. From FO3, to Skyrim, to FO4, they just feel very similar to me.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
what kind of game is it?

They describe it as a "rhythm violence" game. You're on a track and you have to do the correct actions as you go at some pretty breakneck speeds. it's a game that you just turn off the lights, put on some headphones on real loud, and get in a zone.

It's a game that i've seen gameplay of but it never really made me want to play it, but once I started actually playing it I fell in love. Came out last year for PC/PS4 but it just came out on the Switch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad