Post-Game Talk: Game 4: Canucks 2 Cowgary 5 | That was...sub-optimal.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
My focus is not on Green - Benning fired Willie to buy himself some borrowed time, everything that happens this season will land squarely on his head. And rightfully so.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Pretty sad. Not gonna lie Im probably gonna miss more games this year then last year. Interest is def dropping and i thought i was a diehard. I guess I will follow our prospects who seem to be good but this NHL team and how its put together is a joke. Eriksson Sedins Sutter Bermistrov Dorset Gagner Vanek combined age of almost 1000 years is a joke. Most of us are sick of Virtanen and his crappy 4 years of being a junk prospect but hell id rather have him in there right now then Eriksson or Dorset

I don't agree,

Some of the most interesting times to follow a team is during their dark days

To me, following a sports team is like watching a soap opera, it's a story ARC. The bad times, the good it's all just another part of the story, and I've always found the story of the Vancouver Canucks to be fascinating.

I'll be here for every turd dropped, just like the 90's

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The point is not making the team "good", it's about letting young players play and gain experience at NHL level, even if said young players may not mount to much.

Rolling a bunch of ****ty 30 year old farts is much worse.
Yeah, Boeser gets 16-17 mins of ice-time, I guess he isn't getting enough experience eh.

Oh wow, because i have a few issues with his decisions I am somehow saying having an opinion means I think i am a better coach? If we should just assume the coaches know best why are we constantly firing our coaches and finishing near the bottom of the league? Why even have these discussions about coaching at all.

He has plenty of time to win me over as i said prior if he adapts and puts more focus on prospect development he can easily win me over. And willie never coached 4 seasons. Also the sedins are saying in the media they know the focus is on moving young players forward and getting them into the mix, they know they are finishing up nhl careers, they are not dumb so why would the coach need to win them over? In game one he actually went with the horvat unit as the first unit because he was having a better game and it became a media story, do you mean to tell me that was a dumb move and he lost the locker room?
I don't get it though. You're roasting him for scratching Boeser, well why don't you trust him and give him 5 games before getting so upset. A plan takes time and saying Green isn't playing young players made sense in game 1 and 2, but then game 3 and 4 Boeser gets 16-17 mins. As for Virtanen, Green told the media his plan for Virtanen, give him 4th line minutes and allow Virtanen to earn more minutes based on how he plays. Let's not forget that Virtanen is in the NHL right now because of Green's work in the AHL for the last season. I can't remember where I heard this (might have been Green ironically), but you can't treat every prospect the same, they all have different ways of getting in the NHL and developing in the NHL. Virtanen's plan is different than Boeser's (that's what it looks like) and people should understand that before they jump all over on Green for playing Virtanen 8~ mins.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
My focus is not on Green - Benning fired Willie to buy himself some borrowed time, everything that happens this season will land squarely on his head. And rightfully so.

It definitely does start at the top I dont think anyone would dispute that even if we do disagree with some of greens decisions.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Yeah, Boeser gets 16-17 mins of ice-time, I guess he isn't getting enough experience eh.

I don't get it though. You're roasting him for scratching Boeser, well why don't you trust him and give him 5 games before getting so upset. A plan takes time and saying Green isn't playing young players made sense in game 1 and 2, but then game 3 and 4 Boeser gets 16-17 mins. As for Virtanen, Green told the media his plan for Virtanen, give him 4th line minutes and allow Virtanen to earn more minutes based on how he plays. Let's not forget that Virtanen is in the NHL right now because of Green's work in the AHL for the last season. I can't remember where I heard this (might have been Green ironically), but you can't treat every prospect the same, they all have different ways of getting in the NHL and developing in the NHL. Virtanen's plan is different than Boeser's (that's what it looks like) and people should understand that before they jump all over on Green for playing Virtanen 8~ mins.

Incase you didnt see my edited post either who said anything in my post about the sedins on the 2nd unit?

Now to resspond to your last message, I am not getting that upset, I dont like some of his decisions thats all, you do realize you are on a forum? And if I like some of his moves in the future I will compliment him. And yeah boeser got ice time tonight and rewarded green with a big goal after sitting for no reason. He had two sub par pre season games after having huge pre season games and that somehow means he deserves to sit? If Everyone was judged by that standard we would not be icing a roster. And sitting two games at the start of the season in the press box does nothing to help our prospects develop at all.

And i never said anything about virtanen either. Again your making up points to argue.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Gotta say and not to knock the Flames or anything but they really havent looked that good tonight. They had some great moves and took advtg of some opportunities but thought this game was more about the Canucks sucking then anything else

Couldn't agree more. I think they get run out of the rink by most teams w a performance like that. I'm no expert but I thought that was one of the worst played NHL games I've seen in years. Watching the powerplay made my eye twitch. Sloppy sloppy performance, can't get over how checked out we look this early in the season. Going to be a long one.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

That's not my point. What I am saying is that no one is faulting Green for losing games, not even Babcock can turn this team into anything meaningful. People wants Willie's head because this moron plays Sutter on PP and thinks Megna is the second coming of Jesus. If Green is to do the same then the fans will call him out for this lunacy. It really doesn't have much to do with either games are won or lost.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not much doubt about it, can't see Jimbo surviving another 29th place finish......didn't take note of the attendance tonight, but guessing it wasn't a sellout again.....and if this team does end up being a 'dead-team tanking' after Xmas the acres of red seats will be hard to ignore.....if's usually the erosion in the marketplace that triggers a change as much as the on-ice product.

Jimbo has been decent in the draft, but the trades and UFA signings are what they're going to be chiseling on his tombstone. Spending to the salary cap for one of the worst teams in the NHL.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Ive been saying the same shit of green since 2014. Guys in love with grinders and his deployment of youth is absolutely atrocious. Should have been let go from utica in 2016

Reactions: Peen

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I can't believe this is me saying this, but can we tone it down a few notches?

- Virtanen was barely capable of completing a full shift in the AHL last year. That he is not playing in the NHL in October is not some big surprise. I would prefer to see him getting minutes in Utica instead of sitting in the pressbox, but that is on Benning.
- Brock Boeser played 17 minutes tonight and scored a sweet goal. Nobody is messing him up; he is fine.
- Bo Horvat will also be fine. He is not some fresh-faced rookie anymore; he signed his first big-money contract and is one of the big boys on the team. Future captain. If Green wants to show him some tough love then fair enough. Outside of some nice shifts in game 1 he has done little so far.
- Nobody else on this team is worth a good God damn and it makes little difference how much they play or don't play. This clusterf*** of a roster is Benning's fault, not Green's.

I do not care about Travis Green and was not a big supporter of the lazy way he was hired, but holy mother of f*** calm down people. This is not "Linden Vey and Emerson Etem get 20 minutes of ice time because they were good in Medicine Hat 10 years ago" stuff.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Not much doubt about it, can't see Jimbo surviving another 29th place finish......didn't take note of the attendance tonight, but guessing it wasn't a sellout again.....and if this team does end up being a 'dead-team tanking' after Xmas the acres of red seats will be hard to ignore.....if's usually the erosion in the marketplace that triggers a change as much as the on-ice product.

Jimbo has been decent in the draft, but the trades and UFA signings are what they're going to be chiseling on his tombstone. Spending to the salary cap for one of the worst teams in the NHL.

I...really can't see that he was...

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Brock's performance early was good, but the last 2 pre-season games against NHL rosters, he was below average. I'd say his best game out of those 2 pre-season games and this game, is this game against the Flames. The game he scored a goal in.

Virtanen didn't bring the same game he did in the pre-season. These are facts and the truth is that NHL players play differently from the pre-season to the regular season. Looking good in pre-season and looking good in the regular season are 2 different things. As a young player, you have to prove that you can play, you don't get the luxury of having past NHL seasons to back you up. Green specifically said that starting on the 4th line leads to playing on the 3rd, then the 2nd, then maybe even the 1st line. Make your minutes count, Virtanen didn't do that, but he'll get another chance because Green gives young players chances. See that? A perspective that makes young players earn it, isn't that what everybody on this forum shouts around?

Like I said, benching your leaders is a stupid idea and a quick way to get the players to hate you. If you knew anything about hockey, you'd know that's a terrible move especially as a rookie coach. You act as if Green is treating all young players like ****, but Boeser gets scratched, but also gets the opportunity to play on the 2nd line and PP time. I don't know what your point is, but you are picking and choosing what you say. You don't mention Boeser's ice-time, but you mention he gets scratched the first two games.

1. ERIKSON

2. VANEK

3. GAGNER

4. THE SEDINS

Do I need to go on naming guys who have played worse than Bo, Brock and Jake? I can if you want me to

Do I need to pull up one of the many articles about how Green had a " talk" with the Sedins and told them it was a clean slate for everyone, and that no one would get preferential treatment, that if you played well, you played, if you didn't you wouldn't, whether you were a rookie or the Sedins themselves, and the Sedins quoted as saying they were "fine" with all of that?

Do I need to go over game film with you now to establish that Green was lying through his teeth?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Like I said, benching your leaders is a stupid idea and a quick way to get the players to hate you. .

HAHAHA! That's EXACTLY what Green said he was going to do!

Said it to the Sedins himself

So, I guess you've officially joined the "Green is an idiot" club

Welcome aboard

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Incase you didnt see my edited post either who said anything in my post about the sedins on the 2nd unit?

Now to resspond to your last message, I am not getting that upset, I dont like some of his decisions thats all, you do realize you are on a forum? And if I like some of his moves in the future I will compliment him. And yeah boeser got ice time tonight and rewarded green with a big goal after sitting for no reason. He had two sub par pre season games after having huge pre season games and that somehow means he deserves to sit? If Everyone was judged by that standard we would not be icing a roster. And sitting two games at the start of the season in the press box does nothing to help our prospects develop at all.

And i never said anything about virtanen either. Again your making up points to argue.
It's not "sitting for no reason". It's called a plan and it doesn't seem usual, but Green clearly has confidence in Boeser and is giving him a chance. If he didn't have confidence or didn't want to give him a chance, then Boeser would barely play. I don't know why Green sat him aside from the fact that he has a plan for Boeser, but I'll just finish this by saying Green clearly trusts Boeser and will give him minutes to succeed, which should be good enough to please you. The Virtanen part is proof that Green has a plan for Virtanen and Boeser. My post connects the dots if you cannot see it. Green has different plans for different types of prospects, that's my point. It's not making up points, it's called looking at the bigger picture to understand what Green is doing here which you fail to recognize.

That's not my point. What I am saying is that no one is faulting Green for losing games, not even Babcock can turn this team into anything meaningful. People wants Willie's head because this moron plays Sutter on PP and thinks Megna is the second coming of Jesus. If Green is to do the same then the fans will call him out for this lunacy. It really doesn't have much to do with either games are won or lost.
Okay, well then I agree.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
guy might get his $500 worth just picking up towels.

why are tix still so expensive if no one is going to the games

if the canucks win this game, i will delete my account

Sedins & Vanek Ice Time through 1 period
Henrik: 8:30
Daniel: 8:24
Vanek: 8:35

:laugh:

So we're to blame the goalie again
Good lord

Read through the whole thread. These are some highlights I enjoyed.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It's not "sitting for no reason". It's called a plan and it doesn't seem usual, but Green clearly has confidence in Boeser and is giving him a chance. If he didn't have confidence or didn't want to give him a chance, then Boeser would barely play. I don't know why Green sat him aside from the fact that he has a plan for Boeser, but I'll just finish this by saying Green clearly trusts Boeser and will give him minutes to succeed, which should be good enough to please you. The Virtanen part is proof that Green has a plan for Virtanen and Boeser. My post connects the dots if you cannot see it. Green has different plans for different types of prospects, that's my point. It's not making up points, it's called looking at the bigger picture to understand what Green is doing here which you fail to recognize.

Okay, well then I agree.

If you think sitting him was part of some master plan, then I am done responding.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
"Jim Benning has been decent in the draft"

Virtanen. Terrible choice over Ehlers and Nylander.

McCann: Traded him away for trash.

Boeser: Brackett

Gaudette/Lockwood: Brackett

Juolevi: Terrible choice over Tkachuk/Keller.

Pettersson: Remains to be seen.

Tryamkin: Lol

Lind/Gadjovic: They look like solid picks, but again, remains to be seen.

A big part of being able to draft well is not throwing away or screwing up your picks' development. Jim Benning has failed in nearly every aspect of being a GM.

When the league needs to step in and help your GM and President understand the rules of the CBA, it's clear your front office has absolutely no idea what it's doing.

They didn't even study the ****ing CBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peen

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
1. ERIKSON

2. VANEK

3. GAGNER

4. THE SEDINS

Do I need to go on naming guys who have played worse than Bo, Brock and Jake? I can if you want me to

Do I need to pull up one of the many articles about how Green had a " talk" with the Sedins and told them it was a clean slate for everyone, and that no one would get preferential treatment, that if you played well, you played, if you didn't you wouldn't, whether you were a rookie or the Sedins themselves, and the Sedins quoted as saying they were "fine" with all of that?

Do I need to go over game film with you now to establish that Green was lying through his teeth?

HAHAHA! That's EXACTLY what Green said he was going to do!

Said it to the Sedins himself

So, I guess you've officially joined the "Green is an idiot" club

Welcome aboard
So you believe everything that Green says to the media and he's really going to bench the Sedins. Like I said, that's a quick way to put a lot of heat on yourself from the players, from the Sedins, and from the media. No coach is doing that, I'm not going to reply back to a gullible person.

If you think sitting him was part of some master plan, then I am done responding.
Meh, doesn't matter what I think. The point is that Green clearly trusts Boeser and you think he has something against Boeser. You're acting irrationally.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Brock Boeser the best forward out there tonight. Great goal, great on the PP. Why was he out for the first 2 games? He is going to get better and better.

Baertschi needs to go at the trade deadline.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
"Jim Benning has been decent in the draft"

Virtanen. Terrible choice over Ehlers and Nylander.

McCann: Traded him away for trash.

Boeser: Brackett

Gaudette/Lockwood: Brackett

Juolevi: Terrible choice over Tkachuk/Keller.

Pettersson: Remains to be seen.

Tryamkin: Lol

Lind/Gadjovic: They look like solid picks, but again, remains to be seen.

A big part of being able to draft well is not throwing away or screwing up your picks' development. Jim Benning has failed in nearly every aspect of being a GM.

When the league needs to step in and help your GM and President understand the rules of the CBA, it's clear your front office has absolutely no idea what it's doing.

They didn't even study the ****ing CBA.

i think benning is absolutely superb after drafting the first pick....hes HORRIBLE at drafting the very first pick so far....except for petterson who is clearly the most overall skilled in that draft. 6'2" but small frame, really needs to fill it out.

and benning is HORRIBLE at getting sutter, eriksson and gagner signed.

what the f*** man. MZD is the only good one.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Benning did hit in the draft. Gustav Forsling has more points than anyone on our hockey team. Good thing we gave him away for some, "swag."

Edit. Its tough following this team when its led/owned by such brutal incompetence. But then again I watched or listened to every game in the 80's.

Nice to see the stands empty, and hilarious tonight, that they are putting towels on the seats to mask it.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
1. ERIKSON

2. VANEK

3. GAGNER

4. THE SEDINS

Because the Sedins don't f***ing matter anymore.

Green's primary responsibility, I think everyone would agree, is to help grow and develop the next Canucks core. That means Bo Horvat. That means Brock Boeser, hopefully.

His message to Bo is essentially: "Look, you signed your first big contract. Now you have a big role to fill. You are an absolutely critical part of this team going forward, and we need you to be that leader. We need and expect more from you."

Whether or not not that message is fair or not is one thing, but asking why he is not giving the same message to Thomas motherf***ing Vanek, a guy who hopefully won't be here come March, are you serious?

Tom Vanek is irrelevant. So is Eriksson and Gagner. Hell, so are the Sedins. He felt he needed to send a message to Horvat, because Horvat actually f***ing matters. That is what he is doing. Boeser played a ton tonight; I don't know why anyone would be complaining about Boeser's deployment. Who else is there? Virtanen, a guy who scored 7 goals in 55 AHL games last year, and we are hopping mad that he doesn't get first-line ice time to start this season. Come on people for real.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad