Post-Game Talk: Game 4: Canucks 2 Cowgary 5 | That was...sub-optimal.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What can he do, the team isn't good and their star players aren't leading. Green isn't superman, he cant turn a **** team into a good one, Willie couldn't either.

So what was the point of firing Willie? The only point was it was Benning trying to save his job for another couple years. Hiring another rookie coach may just have screwed himself...then again, are we surprised?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
11 minutes of ice-time for Gudbranson. What a fall from grace.

And look how bad he sucks even with 11 minutes.
DMJ0qNzVwAAfaYj.png

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Green was NOT A FAN of Horvat's game tonight.

Called him average.
He's not wrong - he was pretty average. But where he is wrong is how short of a leash he gives Horvat over "veterans" like Gagner, Sedins, etc

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Of course its a terrible team that was not the point, its some of his decisions such as sitting brock, taking him off the top power play unit, coaches letting sedins stay out for the entire power play and 5 on 3 only to get scored on these are little things willie got criticized for, playing sutter more then any other forward some nights, nobody is asking him to win with this roster, just develop our young players and put them in positions to succeed and make them the priority. Alot of that is also on management. Nobody is above criticism just because they have a bad team either.
This is Green's first season, this isn't Willie Desjardins in his 4th season. Green has to give the Sedins a chance to get time on the PP, they are still considered top players on this team and Green will not start the season with Sedins on the 2nd PP unit. That's a dumb move and if he doesn't have the respect of the leaders (Sedins) then he's already losing the locker room. That's coaching 101.

Green isn't starting the season waving the white flag and allowing the prospects to do whatever they want. His mantra the whole time he was in this organization is not giving anything for the young players and making them earn whatever they get. That's how Virtanen got back into the NHL, under Green's coaching and I hope Green doesn't change his way of coaching once he comes into the NHL. You're not even giving Green a chance to coach if you are calling him out already. You're basically saying your a better coach than him and I don't think that's true.

He has my trust until he f***s up.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
God damn I hate jim benning. Been actively cheering for the opposing team for more than a year now and it's at the point where it's just depressing.

Go easy on Benning.....no he's not smart, no he has no business being an NHL GM, yes you could probably step in today and do a better job than he does...

...but If you look at what bits of info there are about him as a person, it seems he has a good heart,

Aqua is the guy who thinks he shouldn't have to go through the life cycle of an NHL team, HE'S the guy that will not accept a re-build and who the yearly "Were going for the playoffs!" B.S comes from

Benning is just a patsy, he isn't smart enough to be this delusional. And he's been set up as a living lightning rod during these tumultuous times

But the reason I say go easy on him is that he could be fired today and nothing would change, Linden could be fired and nothing would change.

It always starts at the top, whether it's good or bad. Aqua, who deserves ZERO credit for the resurgence of the Canucks in the early 2000's, the team was already fully recovered and printing money when he came on board, is behaving like a spoilt brat having a tantrum because his toy is working like it used to.

It would have been MUCH better if Tom Gaglardi (Who Brian Burke backed) hadn't been screwed out of ownership by Aqua,

And remember, Aqua is no business genius, he was born into money, a family business which he did not build but lives off the proceeds from. I have no negative judgment of him because of that, plenty of people are born into money and are fine, but Aqua behaves like a spoilt child, he threw money at the Canucks when they were already the hottest ticket in town, so he could act like he was a part of it and "Buy" some local celebrity, now that the realities of running the business of the Canucks have reared their ugly heads, he has proved that he is no businessman, but a man of leisure and wealth who doesn't like it when he throws money at things and they don't do what he says.

Auqa needs to GO

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think i've ever seen a game where the sedins as a millstone around the team's neck was clearer.

anyway, my reviews

sedins and vanek - awful. a day late and a dollar short all night. got twice the ice time they deserved. ensured we had no sustained momentum all night.

horvat - an off night but looked fine when he was allowed to string some shifts together. baertschi struggling is hurting him right now, although i think baertschi is working hard.

boeser was fine. is showing less game against nhl opponents though. needs to find away to get his shots off in the pp, and needs to carry and distribute the puck with more authority. looking like he is just a shooter right now, but quite a shooter.

del zotto and hutton -- game but struggled. seems like neither of them can play a whole game against top line match ups.

tanev -- ok, but caught the running around bug.

stecher -- has made the mistake of trying to be a complete dman instead of a little guy who uses his speed and passing. needs to watch tape of what he was doing last year. i think he will be replaced by biega next game.

gudbranson - bad night. hit on tkachuk was brutal -- i think green sat him for a long time after that.

pouliot -- plays offence like a forward. surprised he had the green light to do it, but maybe they are trying to rebuild confidence. he was noticably slow to recover a couple of times defensively. i don't think he played a forward on his side straight up once. overall, interesting.

gagner -- shy. staying out of tough areas. patrolling the wing like a 34 year old hired gun playing out the last year of his contract.

markstrom -- a night to forget. showing signs of mental problems. did not like his reaction to some goals. god bless ryan miller for sparing us goalie drama for 3 years.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
This is Green's first season, this isn't Willie Desjardins in his 4th season. Green has to give the Sedins a chance to get time on the PP, they are still considered top players on this team and Green will not start the season with Sedins on the 2nd PP unit. That's a dumb move and if he doesn't have the respect of the leaders (Sedins) then he's already losing the locker room. That's coaching 101.

Green isn't starting the season waving the white flag and allowing the prospects to do whatever they want. His mantra the whole time he was in this organization is not giving anything for the young players and making them earn whatever they get. That's how Virtanen got back into the NHL, under Green's coaching and I hope Green doesn't change his way of coaching once he comes into the NHL. You're not even giving Green a chance to coach if you are calling him out already. You're basically saying your a better coach than him and I don't think that's true.

He has my trust until he ****s up.

Wrong,

Brock's performance was superior to that of anyone throughout the preseason, and his play last year was a revelation.........he was benched/scratched

Jake was second only to Brock, scoring goals making plays and providing the energy and speed this team is dying for........he plays token minutes or is scratched

Based on having "proven" something Erikson, Gagner and Vanek should all be benched or scratched before these two

Based on "in-game mistakes" and "Blown coverage" or "Bad penalties" The Sedins should have been benched waaaaay before Brock or Jake.

Now listen carefully, this is the problem we are having with Green: Not only is he saying one thing while doing another and insulting our intelligence by expecting us to believe that he isn't, what he has done in respects to what has been discussed: DOES NOT MAKE SENSE......PERIOD

You, Green, Aqua whoever can tell us one plus one equals three, but at the end of the day

IT DOESN''T

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Wrong,

Brock's performance was superior to that of anyone throughout the preseason, and his play last year was a revelation.........he was benched/scratched

Jake was second only to Brock, scoring goals making plays and providing the energy and speed this team is dying for........he plays token minutes or is scratched

Based on having "proven" something Erikson, Gagner and Vanek should all be benched or scratched before these two

Based on "in-game mistakes" and "Blown coverage" or "Bad penalties" The Sedins should have been benched waaaaay before Brock or Jake.

Now listen carefully, this is the problem we are having with Green: Not only is he saying one thing while doing another and insulting our intelligence by expecting us to believe that he isn't, what he has done in respects to what has been discussed: DOES NOT MAKE SENSE......PERIOD

You, Green, Aqua whoever can tell us one plus one equals three, but at the end of the day

IT DOESN''T
The Sedins are gods. The Canucks have to write them a blank cheque for the rest of their career. Can't trade them or bench them and if they want to resign here we will resign them for however long they want. We owe it to them and anything less would be a travesty.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
i don't think i've ever seen a game where the sedins as a millstone around the team's neck was clearer.

anyway, my reviews

sedins and vanek - awful. a day late and a dollar short all night. got twice the ice time they deserved. ensured we had no sustained momentum all night.

horvat - an off night but looked fine when he was allowed to string some shifts together. baertschi struggling is hurting him right now, although i think baertschi is working hard.

boeser was fine. is showing less game against nhl opponents though. needs to find away to get his shots off in the pp, and needs to carry and distribute the puck with more authority. looking like he is just a shooter right now, but quite a shooter.

del zotto and hutton -- game but struggled. seems like neither of them can play a whole game against top line match ups.

tanev -- ok, but caught the running around bug.

stecher -- has made the mistake of trying to be a complete dman instead of a little guy who uses his speed and passing. needs to watch tape of what he was doing last year. i think he will be replaced by biega next game.

gudbranson - bad night. hit on tkachuk was brutal -- i think green sat him for a long time after that.

pouliot -- plays offence like a forward. surprised he had the green light to do it, but maybe they are trying to rebuild confidence. he was noticably slow to recover a couple of times defensively. i don't think he played a forward on his side straight up once. overall, interesting.

gagner -- shy. staying out of tough areas. patrolling the wing like a 34 year old hired gun playing out the last year of his contract.

markstrom -- a night to forget. showing signs of mental problems. did not like his reaction to some goals. god bless ryan miller for sparing us goalie drama for 3 years.

Was at the game as well - don't necessarily agree with what you said.

Sedins not great no but when your team if full of 3rd liners who else are you going to play. They couldn't seem to win a draw at all on the powerplay and were a bit slow and not as crisp tonight as the last few games.

Horvat looked very pedestrian tonight.

Boeser made some AMAZING tape to tape passes and you can tell this guy has a VERY high hockey iq. Thought he was for sure one of our better if not our best player tonight. His goal at least gave me a glimmer of hope for something to look forward to this season.

Del Zotto was ok - Hutton seemed to struggle with the pace of the game a bit.

Agree with what you said on Stecher.

Gudbranson - LOVED what he did to Tkachuk who was being a little too aggressive in front of our net so Guddy popped him. We killed the penalty and I noticed the next face off in our end Tkachuk and Gudbranson were lined up next to each other and Tkachuk stayed well away - if anything I like the fact that we have someone on our team who isn't a snowflake.

Pouliot - I could see Green trying to rebuild his confidence - didn't see a ton of him but when i did I noticed a couple of rather poor decisions with the puck. Hoping he can improve.

Gagner - Too much perimeter play and not willing to pay the price.

Erickson - Some good news for fans (as there has been some heavy hate on him) is that he appears to have been injured so we should theoretically see a lot more of Jake moving forward.

Overall not a lot other than Boeser to be excited about - Markstrom seems to have a habit of giving up a poor goal each game he's played in - I don't care if he stops everything else he's gotta stop letting soft goals in.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Hope I live long enough for the Canucks to draft someone like Ovechkin or Laine who actually can fire a one-timer on the pp.....this group comprised most of dippsy-doodlers who kill their own power-play even if they can gain the offensive zone.....we could be in Rasmus Dahlin sweepstakes by Xmas.

Not unless we can get him 3 or 4th overall. Canucks don't get top picks, no matter how far down in the standings they finish. I know it sucks, but I don't make the rules.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Everyone keeps talking about how amazing Boeser was, but I saw him mess up the same set play twice. It wasn't a rocket science complicated play, either... be in the required spot, accept the pass, and shoot. The goal was a beauty, but I don't think he had that great of a game, and I think he'd be the first to tell you that.

Reactions: Wave

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Not unless we can get him 3 or 4th overall. Canucks don't get top picks, no matter how far down in the standings they finish. I know it sucks, but I don't make the rules.

I actually do believe in curses, being a fan of this team will make you a believer

But where did this one start? How could this team be so perfectly soul-destroying?

As far as I know, no one has ever actually cursed the team

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
What can he do, the team isn't good and their star players aren't leading. Green isn't superman, he cant turn a **** team into a good one, Willie couldn't either.

The point is not making the team "good", it's about letting young players play and gain experience at NHL level, even if said young players may not mount to much.

Rolling a bunch of shitty 30 year old farts is much worse.

Reactions: Andre Boudrias

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I actually do believe in curses, being a fan of this team will make you a believer

But where did this one start? How could this team be so perfectly soul-destroying?

As far as I know, no one has ever actually cursed the team

Some questions we're just never meant to know the answers to, I think. I just accept it for what it is, and that helps make it not so frustrating and painful.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

He has my trust until he ****s up.

Oh wow, because i have a few issues with his decisions I am somehow saying having an opinion means I think i am a better coach? If we should just assume the coaches know best why are we constantly firing our coaches and finishing near the bottom of the league? Why even have these discussions about coaching at all.

He has plenty of time to win me over as i said prior if he adapts and puts more focus on prospect development he can easily win me over. And willie never coached 4 seasons. Also the sedins are saying in the media they know the focus is on moving young players forward and getting them into the mix, they know they are finishing up nhl careers, they are not dumb. In game one he actually went with the horvat unit as the first unit because he was having a better game and it became a media story, do you mean to tell me that was a dumb move and he lost the locker room because the sedins were on the 2nd unit?

Furthermore who said anything about the sedins and the second unit in my post?

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Wrong,

IT DOESN''T
Brock's performance early was good, but the last 2 pre-season games against NHL rosters, he was below average. I'd say his best game out of those 2 pre-season games and this game, is this game against the Flames. The game he scored a goal in.

Virtanen didn't bring the same game he did in the pre-season. These are facts and the truth is that NHL players play differently from the pre-season to the regular season. Looking good in pre-season and looking good in the regular season are 2 different things. As a young player, you have to prove that you can play, you don't get the luxury of having past NHL seasons to back you up. Green specifically said that starting on the 4th line leads to playing on the 3rd, then the 2nd, then maybe even the 1st line. Make your minutes count, Virtanen didn't do that, but he'll get another chance because Green gives young players chances. See that? A perspective that makes young players earn it, isn't that what everybody on this forum shouts around?

Like I said, benching your leaders is a stupid idea and a quick way to get the players to hate you. If you knew anything about hockey, you'd know that's a terrible move especially as a rookie coach. You act as if Green is treating all young players like shit, but Boeser gets scratched, but also gets the opportunity to play on the 2nd line and PP time. I don't know what your point is, but you are picking and choosing what you say. You don't mention Boeser's ice-time, but you mention he gets scratched the first two games.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
horrible signing on sutter, eriksson and gagner.

HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next year, sign kane + tavares, do not sign the sedins if they want a damn chance at the cup.

kane tavares boeser
??? horvat ???

figure it out!

but make sure u tank for ramsus dahlin or get the LW russian , this draft year is one of the deepest since 2003.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
How bad are we going to be next year without the replacements for the Sedins??

If juolevi, pettersson don’t make the team, and virtanen is just a grinder....

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
horrible signing on sutter, eriksson and gagner.

HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next year, sign kane + tavares, do not sign the sedins if they want a damn chance at the cup.

kane tavares boeser
??? horvat ???

figure it out!

but make sure u tank for ramsus dahlin or get the LW russian , this draft year is one of the deepest since 2003.
Lol like Tavares or Kane would want to come to this sad sack franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad