GDT: Game 27: Avs @ Lightning|12/7, 5:30pm MT|Insert witty comment here

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Considering this game was against the best in the league I'm not that frustrated, at the end of the night we lost 5-2 but we didn't just get skated out of the building, we put up a reasonable fight until our mistakes just became too much to overcome.

It's just the same **** over and over with this squad. Continually shooting ourselves in the foot in the defensive end and not capitalizing on our chances on the other end.

Simply put this team isn't very good, yet. We have some players it's just going to be a year or two before we start to grow as a team. On defense we've got Girard, Makar and Timmins all coming in along with Zadorov, we got some nice young depth up front with MacK, Rantanen, Landy, Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Bowers, Greer, Kamenev.

It's going to be painful for awhile to watch for another year or so, but I really think this team is going to be better. We just need to wear it with Bednar this year and then find a real coach and go from there.

Yeah I agree here although I think I jumped the gun with all of the positivity a couple of days ago. Like you said, it might be a couple of years. My only hope is that we stay the course and do this the right way. I don’t want to go through all of these shit years to give it some half assed attempt at a cup.

On the Barrie front, I’m kind of done with him too. Just seems like he’s going through the motions.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I watched the 1st but left for work as the 2nd was starting and missed the rest of the game (though I was able to watch on my phone the first 10 minutes of the 3rd). Tampa clowned us tonight. The score could have been much worse after the 1st period.

That said, it's shocking how close this game could have been had Compher scored on both, or even just one, of his breakaways. That kid is going to score some goals in this league, it's just a matter of time. He's too fast, too smart and has too good of a shot not to.

Why does this coaching staff insist on playing Mark ******* Barberio so *** damn much? Seriously, why? He should NEVER, EVER, EVER play more than Nikita Zadorov. I don't care how bad Zadorov is playing, you don't give his minutes to a journeyman 7th defensemen in a development year. Zadorov saw 10:51 tonight, Barberio saw 18:05. Second most on the team! Why?! That's the kind of stuff that ****** me off to no end and makes me question my sanity. Barberio playing more than every defensemen not named Erik Johnson is a fireable offence. Only half joking, too.

Oh well. On to the next loss.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah I agree here although I think I jumped the gun with all of the positivity a couple of days ago. Like you said, it might be a couple of years. My only hope is that we stay the course and do this the right way. I don’t want to go through all of these **** years to give it some half assed attempt at a cup.

On the Barrie front, I’m kind of done with him too. Just seems like he’s going through the motions.
Agreed on Barrie, I'd be shopping him hard before the league realizes that he is atrocious in his own end and picks up a lot of garbage points. Hopefully we can sell some team that is desperate for an offensive dman that he is top end and we get some more great futures.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Man I wish the Avs could play Tampa every game. Such a professional franchise and one that the Avs should try to emulate. Just flat out dominate tonight and never stopped attacking. Ondrej Palat plays the game so beautifully and Kucherov is just flat out scary. This game just showed us how far away we are and should be a good wake up call to everyone and an example of what they need to become. Loved MacKinnon this game, just so pissed that he wanted to beat the Lightning single handedly.. That bull in the china shop X factor he has always comes out when he is playing the best or in a big moment (i.e. playoffs). Playing with that kind of emotion is when he takes his game to the next level and he's at his best, and really the main reason why I am so excited he's on the Avs.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Agreed on Barrie, I'd be shopping him hard before the league realizes that he is atrocious in his own end and picks up a lot of garbage points. Hopefully we can sell some team that is desperate for an offensive dman that he is top end and we get some more great futures.

Chet, besides Barrie, if Sakic is smart enough, we should also trade Landy. I know there will be a lot of comotion but if the deal is there, then do it.

hold3n

Registered Loser
Jul 15, 2011
London, ON
Is it realistic for me to believe that they have been showcasing Barrie on the top PP unit? I mean... Girard looked so good on it and as soon as Barrie was healthy they threw him back on it. Or is that just seniority?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is it realistic for me to believe that they have been showcasing Barrie on the top PP unit? I mean... Girard looked so good on it and as soon as Barrie was healthy they threw him back on it. Or is that just seniority?

I think it's because he's one of the best offensive defensemen in the league, who is currently tied for 6th in the NHL in PP points among defensemen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, I wasn’t too bummed about this loss. Avs were just outclassed, no shame in that. A little frustrated with some choices made by Bednar and Co. as well as Colin Wilson playing the role of the Grinch Who Stole Offense, but other than that I thought they put up a decent effort.

Guess since Sea Eagles is still gone it’s my turn to play the role of board optimist. I still think this team is too good to outright tank. I don’t think they’re that great by any means but I don’t think this will continue into the death spiral of last season. Guess we will see, but I was actually encouraged a bit by tonight’s performance.

And while I thought Bednar made some terrible decisions tonight (seriously, of all the different combos tonight you went with Barberio-Lindholm? Really Jared? Really?!) I commend him for FINALLY taking Nieto off that line and putting someone on there who better fits. Andrighetto is still digging himself free from the doldrums but I finally saw signs of life tonight.

Of all the bad decisions tonight though I thought Bednar really f***ed up when he pulled the goalie on the power play. Normally I’d commend such boldness but a good coach has GOT to read the room, and when the team is playing with such little confidence, you could see them tighten up without the goalie back there. They got nervous and looked over their shoulders instead of going full bore for the net, especially Barrie, and sure enough...empty netter.

tl;dr: I thought the Avs were decent against a superior team, but I thought Bednar made some really terrible decisions both before and during the game, especially pulling the goalie as early as he did. I also think the Avs will turn it around soon.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Chet, besides Barrie, if Sakic is smart enough, we should also trade Landy. I know there will be a lot of comotion but if the deal is there, then do it.
I'm not a huge Landeskog fan, but I've been good with him this year, I'm hopinh he realizes that he has to play this way every season moving forward. It's pretty clear when he isn't in the lineup that we struggle immensely. I'd hang onto Landy for the foreseeable future.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Wow. Maybe you should play Z more ften you ****in dumb **** Bednar

That was really good pressure by the boys. Zads made some good plays...bet he'll get benched.

In one shift Z did more offensively than Barberio has all year but we need to keep playing Mark more. How the hell does Joe not see how stupid Bednar is?

Yeah he's looked really strong, is he waiver eligible?

That shot on net by Zads was such a smart play. Quick shot, don't need to load up 100% every time.

Zadorov dynasty league owner here. I'll take a sliver of hope! Can someone tell me what happened? How he played in general? Strengths/weaknesses shown this season? Thanks. Also would be nice to get a clip of his hit on Sergachev

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I went to Starbucks the other day and I swear, the worker who gave me my coffee looked exactly like Zadorov, face, size and everything.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
To the people asking for this organization to trade Tyson Barrie... good god. Do you people want to suck forever? You never appreciate what you have until it's gone. The guy is on pace for 62 freaking points and people want to trade him? Of course he has his defensive warts but you trade him and who in the blue hell is going to produce for us from the back end? And don't anyone say Cale Makar because he's got years to go before he can even potentially produce offence the way Barrie can.

He's struggling right now, that's something we can all see. It doesn't mean ship him out. I'm still not convinced he is healthy.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
To the people asking for this organization to trade Tyson Barrie... good god. Do you people want to suck forever? You never appreciate what you have until it's gone. The guy is on pace for 62 freaking points and people want to trade him? Of course he has his defensive warts but you trade him and who in the blue hell is going to produce for us from the back end? And don't anyone say Cale Makar because he's got years to go before he can even potentially produce offence the way Barrie can.

He's struggling right now, that's something we can all see. It doesn't mean ship him out. I'm still not convinced he is healthy.
Barberio!!!

Reactions: Pokecheque

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I don't plan on getting my hopes up, but I really hope Bednar gets fired at some point if the team continues to lose games. He does some decent things but more times than not he makes really poor decisions with the players and constantly gets outcoached (I do understand we played the best team in the league tonight but it's been an issue since he got here). It's just painfully obvious he's not an NHL coach. Not to say the players have been good, but we really need an experienced coach badly.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
As much fun as it was winning to start the year, realistically having one more bad season is whats best for the team. It allows us to draft one more really high end piece, hopefully two if ottawa can pick it up a bit. Also a bad year means bednar is almost definately gone and i cant see this team taking the next step with him as coach. The way he handles players like zads and barbs is ridiculous and we still have no system

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The problem I see with Bednar getting fired is that this organization refuses to look for an experienced NHL coach. Granato, Sacco, Roy, Bednar. For whatever reason, they don't like hiring NHL coaches with experience. This is a business, and you have to make the best decisions for your organization. I hate losing, but if a 10-12 game losing streak is enough to get Jared Bednar and Nolan Pratt both fired (because I do also believe Pratt is a big problem defensively), so be it.

This organization should have been all over Gerard Gallant when he was available but refused. If Bednar is fired, they'd probably just promote EV and give him a nice contract.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I hope today stops the nonsense that Barrie is a good or okay or average defender. It was hilarious how hard he bit on Lightning's 3rd goal.
What's funny is I always thought he was underrated defensively in former seasons when many people complained about him regularly. This season when more and more people started to praise him for his defensive work I actually think he took some steps back and is not so good defensively anymore.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I’d be curious to see Rantanen moved off MacKinnon’s line for a game. He has all the talent to carry a line on his own. I know MacKinnon is racking up points and they have good chemistry, but I think we should be expecting more of Rantanen, and he needs to shoulder a bigger load.

No doubt this team is short top-6 players.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I find it strange reading this kind of comment because everything is setup so that we DO move out Barrie in the not too distant future :

- Barrie went through the arbitration process a year and a half ago, would you like to see the list of players who end up staying with the team for the whole contract after that? It's quite a short list.
- The Avs drafted TWO right-handed D-Men last draft with their top draft picks (Makar and Timmins will be in the NHL before too long)

Of course people are going to point to Makar, he was the 4th overall pick last year. It's not unreasonable to expect him to be in the NHL soon-ish. (whether that's MY strategy or anyone else's is irrelevant...if the Avs feel Makar is ready for the NHL, they'll sign him next spring and we'll see him finish out the year like we saw Jost last spring.)

But that's neither here nor there : the actual facts are that most people look at the Avalanche roster and it leaves them scratching their heads. The Avs have a really good collection of talent but finished dead-last a year ago and are now below .500 again this season. You look at teams like Vegas and New Jersey and when you compare them with the Avs on paper the players and the talent...something just doesn't add up.

For me, I see things very much like this : remember how FOR YEARS it always seemed way more complicated and difficult than it needed to be to find wingers that Matt Duchene could play with? The whole chemistry thing always seemed to be 'off''? Does that remind you of anyone on the backend at all? Isn't Barrie that very same guy where we're always having a hard time finding him the right partner?? EJ you can pretty much plug anyone and he's good-to-go but Barrie, it's always more complicated. We played one game without him this year and I thought the defense looked frikkin' fantastic. Maybe its a coincidence, maybe it's not.

If we are out of it come trade deadline time, I think he gets moved out. There's a good chance our 1st round pick in 2018 is going to end up a D-Man as well so if the Avs can move out Barrie and fill a need (Mitch Marner would be a good fit - he's that Claude Giroux/Matt Barzal pure playmaker type that I keep going on about and that would improve our offense quite a bit) I think the Avs will do it.

Think of it this way : if we are not winning with a guy like Barrie being on pace to put up 62 points in our lineup, then it's probably time for a change. At some point, something has to give.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00