GDT: Game 27: Avs @ Lightning|12/7, 5:30pm MT|Insert witty comment here

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Oh boy Barrie, not good. If he is injured he should sit. His play is a major reason for the slide and decline in offensive production.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
In all fairness you need talent other than a 1st line to win in the NHL, just look at the Oilers.

Avs 2nd line is pretty much non existent, other than Kerfoot there is no one there to provide anything. The defense is still awful. Coaching change won't change much, they need players. Makar can't get to NHL soon enough.
Yep and even Makar is not gonna be impact player on first season I believe. Look at Girard

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Boring NHL game on one monitor and boring game award show on another :<

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This team is so desperate for a player like Zadina right now, it's actually ridiculous.

Can you imagine Zadina on MacK's wing, or Svechnikov? Hell, Dahlin feeding MacK passes? I'm so tired of watching how poorly this team moves the puck.

If we do end up a bottom-5 team, Sakic needs to look at getting a proven coach, and letting him bring in the staff he wants.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Didn't follow along this thread all game but just wanted to stop by and say f*** Tyson Barrie.

Also, shame on the coaching staff for how they use him. Treating him like he's a PP threat and running the PP around him is disgraceful.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I guess the positive is that we might getting another difference maker other than MacK.

We have some good things coming but man is there still alot of bad about this team. When you see your teammate playing balls to the wall the way Mackinnon was tonight how does that energy not spread throughout that bench? Some of the young guys look lifeless of late. Not you JT you been good.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yep and even Makar is not gonna be impact player on first season I believe. Look at Girard
True, and when Makar hopefully turns into a good NHL d-man, Barrie needs to be traded for a 2nd line winger because now Avs drafting d-men and traded for Girard, they are lacking forwards. Jost obviously is not NHL ready yet.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We have some good things coming but man is there still alot of bad about this team. When you see your teammate playing balls to the wall the way Mackinnon was tonight how does that energy not spread throughout that bench? Some of the young guys look lifeless of late. Not you JT you been good.

That's precisely why MacKinnon needs to be the captain of this team. Give him the C

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs were outplayed and outcoached, but stampa is just so good. It was the expected result.
There were lots of negatives in this game which include a long list of players that were horrendous but you're still right. Tampa are damn good. They mad the Avs look like a junior team tonight.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's precisely why MacKinnon needs to be the captain of this team. Give him the C

Meh, Landy had a boneheaded penalty but I thought he played pretty hard on that line as well.

Actually for that matter, I thought the entire line played pretty good. Rantanen was a lot more bullish tonight and used his body more then he has in previous games. Still not as good as he can be, but better.

As per usual, the Top line had a solid game really. They had multiple offensive zone shifts and generated a goal.

What did the rest of the team do? Haha you guessed it, f***ing nothing.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Considering this game was against the best in the league I'm not that frustrated, at the end of the night we lost 5-2 but we didn't just get skated out of the building, we put up a reasonable fight until our mistakes just became too much to overcome.

It's just the same shit over and over with this squad. Continually shooting ourselves in the foot in the defensive end and not capitalizing on our chances on the other end.

Simply put this team isn't very good, yet. We have some players it's just going to be a year or two before we start to grow as a team. On defense we've got Girard, Makar and Timmins all coming in along with Zadorov, we got some nice young depth up front with MacK, Rantanen, Landy, Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Bowers, Greer, Kamenev.

It's going to be painful for awhile to watch for another year or so, but I really think this team is going to be better. We just need to wear it with Bednar this year and then find a real coach and go from there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Some advanced stats to laugh hysterically at:

Matt Nieto with an impressive 9% in the Corsi department at even strength. 1 Shot for, 10 shots against for a -9 overall. In all situations it was an even more impressive 8% with 2 shot attempts for and 23 against. But he was arguably not even the worse.

Our favorite Dman Mark Barbeiro came in with an impressive 26%, including 20 shot attempts against when he was on the ice. Tampa Bay had 48 shot attempts at even strength. Almost half of them came when Mark Barbeiro was on the ice.

That said, if you want an example of why Corsi isn't a very reliable stat to use by itself. Look no further then Tyson Barrie tonight. He led the team at even strength at 63.33% and a +8 rating. Mackinnon was the only other player on the team above 50%(Landy, Zadorov, and Soderberg were all at 50% exactly).

It's not a reliable stat by itself. But paired with the eye test it shows a pretty good picture of tonight's game, with the exception of Barrie.

Reactions: MacBradley

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I like Nemeth on the PK. Mostly because he seems to understand the concept of passing lanes.

Compher was decent, but he probably wishes he would have had better finishes on his breakaways.

Reactions: Arnusson

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Compher is going to be our Marchand soon enough. Not quite as much of a pest(Though he does have that ability in his game), but his smarts and speed on the PK are going to create a lot of turnovers and odd man breaks for himself once he really starts to figure himself out in the league.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
And another game where we give up 3+ goals.

Only 7 times this year we have held a team to 2 or less goals. That's on pace to be even worse than last year.

And our goals againsts, shots against, and goalie stats are all right there with last year.

Bednar is the greatest.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Some advanced stats to laugh hysterically at:

Matt Nieto with an impressive 9% in the Corsi department at even strength. 1 Shot for, 10 shots against for a -9 overall. In all situations it was an even more impressive 8% with 2 shot attempts for and 23 against. But he was arguably not even the worse.

Our favorite Dman Mark Barbeiro came in with an impressive 26%, including 20 shot attempts against when he was on the ice. Tampa Bay had 48 shot attempts at even strength. Almost half of them came when Mark Barbeiro was on the ice.

That said, if you want an example of why Corsi isn't a very reliable stat to use by itself. Look no further then Tyson Barrie tonight. He led the team at even strength at 63.33% and a +8 rating. Mackinnon was the only other player on the team above 50%(Landy, Zadorov, and Soderberg were all at 50% exactly).

It's not a reliable stat by itself. But paired with the eye test it shows a pretty good picture of tonight's game, with the exception of Barrie.

So what you are saying is we should continue to feed Barberio all the ice he desires.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Not impressed with Tampa's defensive play, they'll never win the cup with that defense.

Coburn and Dotchin are injured. Sustr and Koekkoek are 7th and 8th D. Lightning third in league in goals against if not mistaken.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
That's three absolutely terrible games in a row now.

This is the Avs. The lineup is horrible. I've been pretty skeptical about Erik Johnson in the past, and he looks a lot like a second pairing defenseman at this point in his career.

It's also becoming very clear to me that Zadorov will never be the answer.

The forward corp is weak but not terrible, I think this team will be able to finish outside of the bottom three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad