Speculation: Friedman: Leafs and Isles in on Tyson Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
A fantastic powerplay player and up forwards going sucka, but this is dirt talk all over. Leafs don't need that. We already have those. Rielly, Gardiner, even Zaitsev. We don't need but two or three good offensive guys. Even Hainsey can do some solid work at rare times offensively. But yeah, we need more that polak type for us. Not Barrie. Lou is looking for a guy like hamonic, jack johnson, erik johnson etc. Why would avs even move barrie LOL. They going into the playoffs real hard. :biglaugh: This is just the typical useless rumour talk.

Reactions: weems

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
When healthy I'll argue that the Leafs can ice an acceptable D corp. Or, at least one that I want to see moving forward so that adjustments can be made in the offseason. We are improving as a team defensively, thus less pressure on the defensive group. We might be seeing the re-imurgence of our offense, thus less pressure on the defensive group. Barrie doesn't offer enough at the cost I suspect he would require to pull the trigger.

Reactions: weems
Feb 24, 2004
Curious what he would cost.

Wouldn't be willing to include in a trade any of: Matthews (obviously), Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly, Zaitsev, Dermott, Liljegren, or Andersen.

I would trade Zaitsev for Barrie in a heartbeat.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The last defenseman i'd want to add to this team. He's a nightmare defensively.

Reactions: zeke

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
I think itd cost to much tbh. Likely Gardiner + Liljegren. Or Gardiner + Leivo + Goat/2nd round pick?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I think itd cost to much tbh. Likely Gardiner + Liljegren. Or Gardiner + Leivo + Goat/2nd round pick?

For Barrie? Good grief, nooo. If he's any better defensively than Gardiner, it's by a smidgeon, and when Gardiner is playing well, not at all. Adding Liljegren would be wrong, considering Leivo + Goat or a 2nd would also be wrong, but not as much as Liljegren.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If you look at both ends of the rink, how do you feel about JVR or Bozak? Neither player takes over a game or does much to take us to a higher level. Unique extremely talented skills in close on JVR within 10ft of the crease but outside that??

not the same thing, not even close really because Barrie is not in the lineup therefore not contributing.

Bozak and JVR are both in the lineup and they both contribute.

You can't compare a player not in the lineup to 2 players that actually help their team, that is not how this works

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We can develop our own Barrie. No need to spend but it is telling how in a rush management is. Just hope they aren't in a big rush.

How is it a rush, they have nearly every piece they need to be a contender and most of it was drafted or if not drafted like in the case of Zaitsev the player still has been developed by Toronto.

Matthews Franchise C
Nylander #1 Winger
Marner #1 winger
JVR #1 winger
Kadri #2 C
Brown #3 winger
Rielly top pair D
Gardiner top 4 D
Zaitsev top 4 D
Andersen #1 goalie
Marleau #2 winger
Hyman #3 winger
Komarov #4 winger
Bozak #3 center

By my count that is 14 players 11-12 of them were either drafted, signed or developed by the Leafs, in other words the Leafs didn't draft Hyman, Gardiner Zaitsev and Bozak but they did develop them, and you can make an argument they developed JVR too. but that one can go either way, but if you take JVR out you are left with 11 players of the 14 the Leafs have developed .

the only ones they didn't Marleau and Andersen and JVR if you choose to remove him.

in that group you have a stud goalie, you have a franchise center, you have 3 players capable of being #1 wingers, you have a top pair D man, you have 2 other top 4 D men, you have great depth wingers in Hyman and Brown, you have quality depth down the middle behind Matthews in Bozak and Kadri

you have almost everything you need to be a legitimate contender and you have developed the vast majority of it yourself.

What you are lacking is 1 more top 4 D man and you have the prospect capital to get it.

I don't know how you can see them being interested in Barrie, or Mcdonagh, or whoever else as being in a rush, they haven't rushed anything, they drafted and developed, or signed and developed the vast majority of this team, either way they developed most of it.

Now they have a gap to fill, that doesn't mean they are ushing anything because the core is already in place now they are just looking to fill a hole.

Every team does that this is no different, in fact age wise it is perfect because he is only 26.

Price wise that is another question but the point remains they haven't rushed anything.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We already have a very potent power play and generally solid offense from the blueline.

Given the trade cost, we'd be better targeting someone else, or just waiting for better options to become available.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Rielly-Hainsey
Dermott-Barrie/Zaitsev
Borgman-Zaitsev/Barrie

<3
zaitsev is never ever gonna be a third pair ....he ll be a solid no 2 pair or on the no 1 if we ever get a stud d man ..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
barrie isn't actually good. he's a shektered offensive dman whose offense is inconsistent and doesn't even handle sheltered minutes very well.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
barrie isn't actually good. he's a shektered offensive dman whose offense is inconsistent and doesn't even handle sheltered minutes very well.

That sounds painful, is there a cure? ;)

Barrie sounds like a dman made in the same mold as Green, Shattenkirk, Gardiner, ect

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Barrie was a star Dman for my Kelowna Rockets in the past in the WHL.

Kelowna is a Dman factor producing the likes Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, Alex Edler, Tyler Myers, Damon Severson, Luke Schenn, Josh Georges, and the list goes on and on and Tyson Barrie on the list.

So what is not to like about adding him. :wg:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How is it a rush, they have nearly every piece they need to be a contender and most of it was drafted or if not drafted like in the case of Zaitsev the player still has been developed by Toronto.

Matthews Franchise C
Nylander #1 Winger
Marner #1 winger
JVR #1 winger
Kadri #2 C
Brown #3 winger
Rielly top pair D
Gardiner top 4 D
Zaitsev top 4 D
Andersen #1 goalie
Marleau #2 winger
Hyman #3 winger
Komarov #4 winger
Bozak #3 center

By my count that is 14 players 11-12 of them were either drafted, signed or developed by the Leafs, in other words the Leafs didn't draft Hyman, Gardiner Zaitsev and Bozak but they did develop them, and you can make an argument they developed JVR too. but that one can go either way, but if you take JVR out you are left with 11 players of the 14 the Leafs have developed .

the only ones they didn't Marleau and Andersen and JVR if you choose to remove him.

in that group you have a stud goalie, you have a franchise center, you have 3 players capable of being #1 wingers, you have a top pair D man, you have 2 other top 4 D men, you have great depth wingers in Hyman and Brown, you have quality depth down the middle behind Matthews in Bozak and Kadri

you have almost everything you need to be a legitimate contender and you have developed the vast majority of it yourself.

What you are lacking is 1 more top 4 D man and you have the prospect capital to get it.

I don't know how you can see them being interested in Barrie, or Mcdonagh, or whoever else as being in a rush, they haven't rushed anything, they drafted and developed, or signed and developed the vast majority of this team, either way they developed most of it.

Now they have a gap to fill, that doesn't mean they are ushing anything because the core is already in place now they are just looking to fill a hole.

Every team does that this is no different, in fact age wise it is perfect because he is only 26.

Price wise that is another question but the point remains they haven't rushed anything.

Thats a concise post!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We already have a very potent power play and generally solid offense from the blueline.

Given the trade cost, we'd be better targeting someone else, or just waiting for better options to become available.

There is enough talent on the farm in duplication. We can not play them all in the same time frame. It really depends on Lou's plan on how the third line is going to be built. Three scoring lines is likely possible but is it affordable beyond the expiration of entry level contracts.

Its a moving target but we have assets and plenty of draft picks banked. Shanny likes long term sustainability as the starter of his idea of team building. I agree but we can't keepem all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad