Speculation: Friedman: Leafs and Isles in on Tyson Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think we would be smart to get in on Barrie if the cost is Gardiner with even a small add. Barrie may just be about to break out. He had a great WC last spring before he got injured in it with 7 pts in 3 games and this season had 27 pts in 34 games. He is just entering his prime as a d-man at age 26.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Not the worst guy to be after, but he is another really good PP guy. If it did happen it would make me think Gards isn't so much in the long term plans which a lot of people here are on that train already.
Agreed. Spending assets on Barrie means we won’t have enough for Gardiner’s new contract (unless they make several moves which is unlikely and risky). Barrie provides the leafs with a good offensive option. I’m okay with it as long as the offer isn’t insane, lol.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not surprised as talk's been out there. Definitely like him, but I don't really see the fit with our team and possibly in trade too with the Avalanche. Could see us moving Gardiner and bringing in a RHD from outside of the organization (not necessarily in one deal), but didn't think Barrie would be a realistic target. Interesting and noteworthy, in any case.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I don't think we would be willing to give up what they want. Look at how long it took them to trade Duchene. They'll be asking for Marner or Nylander and I doubt we are interested in that.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Curious what he would cost.

Wouldn't be willing to include in a trade any of: Matthews (obviously), Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly, Zaitsev, Dermott, Liljegren, or Andersen.

Well, in July Babcock specifically mentioned Bozak, JVR, Kadri and Komarov in saying that at least 2 of them they couldn't move forward with. My guess is that those are the guys on the table:

Babcock brought up Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri, James van Riemsdyk and Leo Komarov.

“They’re real good players,” the coach said. “And two of them or . . . any way you look at it, we can’t all be on the team as we move ahead. It doesn’t work like that. We have to figure out a way when you have opportunities to do what you can.”

Most in hockey believe the Leafs will start peddling excess forwards for help on the blue line.

Mike Babcock excited about Leafs’ additions and the team’s depth | Toronto Star

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
A dman that has put up 27 points in 34 games is going to cost you a lot.

If the deal makes sense, I wouldn't be opposed.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like him as a player, but don’t see him as a good fit with Rielly or Gards. If Gards is the main piece going back, then it makes sense, as I could see Dermott/Barrie being a long term, high end 2nd pair.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I actually don't mind the idea of Dermott - Barrie, but I doubt we'll want to move up what Sakic will want.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Makes sense - particularly given that the Leafs were in on Harmonic this past summer. Barrie would be a update on the team - but curious what the cost is

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So on Oilers Now, Friedman mentioned that the Leafs and Islanders are in on Tyson Barrie. He also mentioned Barrie/Leafs on one of the 31 thoughts podcasts.

What are everyone’s thoughts?
I'd like to know who told Friedman this? Who broke the "cone of silence" the Leafs operate under? If it was someone from the Av's side they'd most likely of killed any potential deal, Lou doesn't like airing deals, so where did Friedman here this from, or is he just throwing *** at the wall?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why is Colorado trading Barrie, when they've been on a tear and are battling for a playoff spot right now?
Think the logic is they've been doing all that while he's been out. He hasn't been contributing, so likely wouldn't be missed.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Think the logic is they've been doing all that while he's been out. He hasn't been contributing, so likely wouldn't be missed.

If you look at both ends of the rink, how do you feel about JVR or Bozak? Neither player takes over a game or does much to take us to a higher level. Unique extremely talented skills in close on JVR within 10ft of the crease but outside that??

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you look at both ends of the rink, how do you feel about JVR or Bozak? Neither player takes over a game or does much to take us to a higher level. Unique extremely talented skills in close on JVR with 10ft of the crease but outside that??
I won't be bothered when they both walk.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Colorado knows they ain't winning the Stanley cup. Why waste assets. Look at what they got for Duchene. Even Tampa did the same thing last year with Bishop,Boyle and Fill. Cinderella stories rarely happen nowadays and if they do the team usually regresses next year(Ottawa). Smart by Sakic.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Call me crazy, but a guy like Barrie, I think can be developed from within.

Dermott, Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen will need to push out the likes of Polak/Maricin/Carrick.

Don't need to waste any assets.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Call me crazy, but a guy like Barrie, I think can be developed from within.

Dermott, Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen will need to push out the likes of Polak/Maricin/Carrick.

Don't need to waste any assets.

I wouldn't put Carrick in that group, but otherwise I'd go with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad