Speculation: Friedman: Leafs and Isles in on Tyson Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kelowna produced a real dud in Luke Schenn!

Too bad his poor skating skill wasn't identified by Burke and company! Imagine if we hadn't traded up to select Schenn and just took Karlsson instead.
Fletcher picked Schenn fwiw and Burke flipped him for JVR.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Fletcher picked Schenn fwiw and Burke flipped him for JVR.
Yes, TY, my timing of how things went down was off! However, I was at the draft here in Ottawa. I did see Fletcher and Burke talking b4 the draft began, so, I assumed that Fletcher new Burke was coming and he was consulting with him over the Leafs selection.

Yes, and Burke flipped Schenn for JvR, I know. It has somewhat turned out in our favor, but, why are most of our fan base hell bent on trading him now?

What could have been if Fletcher had just selected Eric Karlsson with our pick and not traded up to select Schenn? Would we be talking about acquiring Tyson Barrie?

Reactions: Anthrax442

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

Too bad his poor skating skill wasn't identified by Burke and company! Imagine if we hadn't traded up to select Schenn and just took Karlsson instead.
Karlsson in his draft year, was a late riser, scouts thought he might break into the 1st round. A lot of Ottawa fans were pissed at the pick. so like can't play the hindsight game like that.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I'm pretty happy with where the team is now and the direction we're going. I think it's pretty useless to play the hindsight game now that we're looking great

Reactions: Bullseye

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
not very interested in barrie and personally i don't buy into this rumour.

we need a solid defensive dman or two, what in the world is barrie going to provide that we don't already have?

no thanks.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

we need a solid defensive dman or two, what in the world is barrie going to provide that we don't already have?

no thanks.

So this.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Karlsson in his draft year, was a late riser, scouts thought he might break into the 1st round. A lot of Ottawa fans were pissed at the pick. so like can't play the hindsight game like that.
The Ottawa fan I was with at the draft wasn't pissed, puzzled, but not pissed!

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Think management should be building around this as the core for next 3 years:

Rielly-X
Dermott-Liljegren
Borgman-Zaitsev

So not sure where Barrie fits.

Tanev should be the target IMO.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
But but Cup Run

They aren't ready for a cup run right now.

As long as Tampa and Boston are in the same division, they aren't going very far.

Have to be realistic about the situation - they have some good pieces on that blueline, and some younger pieces in the system that are projecting to be very good NHL pieces. Free agency is also a route, with some names likely to fall into the FA pool over the next 2 summers.

There shouldn't be any immediate pressure on this team to make a trade.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Barrie is a far worse defender than Jake Gardiner. Jake Gardiner is actually very good defensively his gaps and zone entry breakups are off the charts, which makes up for his brainfarts. Barrie could actually be a good addition to the team. Even though he is VERY soft defensively at least he would help drive possession. Him and Dermott replacing Borgman and Polak boosts are puck possesion a ton. People have to realize puck possession is better than having big rugged defenseman who have 30% corsi every game. That being said, although Barrie is a great skater and puck mover he is a PP asset and we would not be utilizing him properly so it wouldn't be worth giving anything up of value. Not even a Kapanen or Brown would be worth it at this point.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

As long as Tampa and Boston are in the same division, they aren't going very far.

Have to be realistic about the situation - they have some good pieces on that blueline, and some younger pieces in the system that are projecting to be very good NHL pieces. Free agency is also a route, with some names likely to fall into the FA pool over the next 2 summers.

Bruins are good, but they are far from untouchable. They've been very hot lately, and they get full marks for winning games they should, but as a team they are closer to us than they are Tampa.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

no thanks.

Not exactly. The NHL has become a puck moving and possession game. The days of the "defensive defenseman" by and large have passed by. We just need more strong skaters/puck movers who are capable in their end. And experienced.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs have been interested in getting Barrie for a really long time. They must really like him. The price might not be good enough if they haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Not sure it makes sense in season though.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Get Barrie now without losing the core. In the summer deal Gardiner in a deal for Tanev in Vancouver. Offense for Defense. Role with a D next season of:

Reilly-Tanev
Barrie-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Very solid D.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Get Barrie now without losing the core. In the summer deal Gardiner in a deal for Tanev in Vancouver. Offense for Defense. Role with a D next season of:

Reilly-Tanev
Barrie-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Very solid D.

Barrie is RHD.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

All this is spot on, especially the bolded part.

Bruins are good, but they are far from untouchable. They've been very hot lately, and they get full marks for winning games they should, but as a team they are closer to us than they are Tampa.

Nobody's untouchable. That said, Boston has had many injuries this season, to be where they are now is remarkable and suggests that at full health, they are a very strong team. They are much closer to TB than to us, the standings say so and I don't see any good arguments to the contrary.

Reactions: Tak7

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Nobody's untouchable. That said, Boston has had many injuries this season, to be where they are now is remarkable and suggests that at full health, they are a very strong team. They are much closer to TB than to us, the standings say so and I don't see any good arguments to the contrary.

That's fine. Agree to disagree.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's fine. Agree to disagree.

Sure, opposing points of view are what interesting discussions are borne of. If you think Boston is closer to us than to TB I'd be interested to hear your reasoning if you feel like sharing it.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Glad Lou and company don't have the same defeatist attitude .

Do you think Islanders, Flyers and Devils are thinking similarly because they have Wash, CBJ and Pit ahead of them in their division? Anything can happen in the playoffs if your goalie gets hot. Otherwise let's forget the rest of the season and just have the Bruins and Lightning play a 7 game series to determine who goes to the SC final.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sure, opposing points of view are what interesting discussions are borne of. If you think Boston is closer to us than to TB I'd be interested to hear your reasoning if you feel like sharing it.

FWIW, I'd like to start by saying.. my point was never to say the Bruins aren't a good team. I think everything you've said in your post is fair. It's even a fair opinion to hold that they are closer to TBL than us. I mean, the stats/standings are on your side.

The part I get hung up on is this...

Bruins last 16GP (which is where they primarily not only overtook us but started climbing toward Tampa's pace:

3-0 W vs BUF
2-1 W vs WPG (so)
3-1 W vs DET
5-1 W vs OTT
4-3 L vs WSH (so)
5-0 W vs OTT
5-1 W vs NYI
7-1 W vs CAR
6-5 L vs PIT (0t)
4-3 W vs MTL (ot)
3-2 L vs DAL (ot)
4-1 W vs MTL
5-2 W vs NYI
4-1 W vs MTL
3-2 W vs NJD
3-2 W vs OTT

In that 16gp:

vs playoff teams: 1-0-3 (with the one win coming in a shootout)
vs non-playoff teams: 12-0-0 (8/12 of which being against the bottom 7 teams in the league, 11/12 being against the bottom 11)

That's why I said, they get credit for winning games they should win. That is not always a given in this league. I just don't personally buy yet that the Bruins are the powerhouse this streak is making people believe they are.

This said, I haven't checked if Tampa has had a similar run of games yet (we haven't had ours yet).. That said Tampa has demolished everyone, so I think it's a little different there. Consider that Tampa is 10-1 against the Central which is pretty much unarguably the best division in the league this season.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I could see where he'd fit next season (if Gardiner is moved in this deal or another) as he'd replace Gardiner on the PP, Hainsey/Zaitsev/Rielly are still on the PK and joined by Dermott (or maybe Borgman), arrange the left side (Rielly, Dermott, Borgman?) and right (Hainsey, Zaitsev, Barrie) as you wish for ES.

IIRC, he has two full years left on his contract. I wonder what happens if Liljegren is ready the season after next? (assuming he is ready/not traded) Guess one of Rielly, Barrie or Liljegren isn't on the PP?

Still not sure we match up that well trade-wise with the Avs. Wonder too if we're looking at him as a two year acquisition, or if we feel we can sign him to his next deal? Could affect what we'd be willing to part with in trade.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
FWIW, I'd like to start by saying.. my point was never to say the Bruins aren't a good team. I think everything you've said in your post is fair. It's even a fair opinion to hold that they are closer to TBL than us. I mean, the stats/standings are on your side.

The part I get hung up on is this...

Bruins last 16GP (which is where they primarily not only overtook us but started climbing toward Tampa's pace:

3-0 W vs BUF
2-1 W vs WPG (so)
3-1 W vs DET
5-1 W vs OTT
4-3 L vs WSH (so)
5-0 W vs OTT
5-1 W vs NYI
7-1 W vs CAR
6-5 L vs PIT (0t)
4-3 W vs MTL (ot)
3-2 L vs DAL (ot)
4-1 W vs MTL
5-2 W vs NYI
4-1 W vs MTL
3-2 W vs NJD
3-2 W vs OTT

In that 16gp:

vs playoff teams: 1-0-3 (with the one win coming in a shootout)
vs non-playoff teams: 12-0-0 (8/12 of which being against the bottom 7 teams in the league, 11/12 being against the bottom 11)

That's why I said, they get credit for winning games they should win. That is not always a given in this league. I just don't personally buy yet that the Bruins are the powerhouse this streak is making people believe they are.

Fair enough, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think it's fair to add that the only 3 games they lost were all lost in OT so not one regulation loss in 16 games, that's impressive. And 12-0 (even against bad teams) is also impressive.

I would stop short of saying they're a powerhouse myself. I do think that at this moment in time they're closer to TB and they are to us but we'll see what happens. North American sports culture being what it is, the playoffs are everything so if Boston loses to us in the 1st round (certainly possible), all they've accomplished so far will mean nothing.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Definitely impressive. I'm just feeling like strength of schedule is a clear factor that cannot be ignored. Like I said before though, beating teams you should beat, consistently, is still impressive... I mean look no further than us. I believe we've lost 4 of 6 vs Detroit, Ottawa and Florida this season. I know you cannot win them all usually, but a team of the calibre we want to consider ourselves needs to have more of those.

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad