Speculation: Friedman: Leafs and Isles in on Tyson Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So on Oilers Now, Friedman mentioned that the Leafs and Islanders are in on Tyson Barrie. He also mentioned Barrie/Leafs on one of the 31 thoughts podcasts.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
ASSETS:
Has good instincts from the back end and plenty of mobility, plus excellent offensive ability and a good point shot. Is a huge asset as a quarterback on a power play at the NHL level.
FLAWS:
Lacks ideal size for the blueline position at the NHL level. Needs to add some bulk to be able to better defend against bigger forwards (and cope with injuries). Is not physical.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Excellent offensive defenseman and playmaker.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Hockey News

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's a quality offensive defenseman. People are gonna hate the idea just because he's "small" but he'd give us another weapon on the back end and push for puck possession. He's youngish and signed to a pretty good contract.

Fairly underrated defenseman.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not the worst guy to be after, but he is another really good PP guy. If it did happen it would make me think Gards isn't so much in the long term plans which a lot of people here are on that train already.

neversaydie

Apr 6, 2016
Mississauga
  • That would be good, I know as a player he isn't that big shut down D, but he is a puck mover and IMO his overall contribution would be a positive addition to the team. He may make some defensive mistakes. BUT the Leafs are going to have to win by committee with their D core as getting a top 2 Dman is nearly impossible cost wise in terms of what you give up with their assets. Pittsburgh did that in the playoffs. The leafs best outlook is to smother teams offensively while playing team defence

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly-Hainsey
Dermott-Barrie/Zaitsev
Borgman-Zaitsev/Barrie

<3

You don't acquire someone like Barrie to put him on the bottom pairing. He's someone you get to play 20+ minutes, likely next to Rielly.

Hainsey is showing that he can play very well with Gardiner, assuming he wouldn't be traded to get Barrie pre-deadline.

Rielly - Barrie
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick/Polak

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You don't acquire someone like Barrie to put him on the bottom pairing. He's someone you get to play 20+ minutes, likely next to Rielly.

I think the goal here is to have 3 pairings who can play 20 minutes.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Curious what he would cost.

Wouldn't be willing to include in a trade any of: Matthews (obviously), Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly, Zaitsev, Dermott, Liljegren, or Andersen.

Reactions: FADYB

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's a quality offensive defenseman. People are getting hate the idea but he'd give us another weapon on the back end and push for puck possession. He's youngish and signed to a pretty good contract.

Fairly underrated defenseman.

I like Barrie as a player but who are we going to pair with these puck movers with iffy defensive play?

Rielly and Gardiner look miles better with Hainsey so how is having a bottom 4 with good skating puck moving guys with questionable defense going to work?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Barrie as a player but who are we going to pair with these puck movers with iffy defensive play?

Rielly and Gardiner look miles better with Hainsey so how is having a bottom 4 with good skating puck moving guys with questionable defense going to work?

Rielly is showing to be a great 2-way defenseman. He kills penalties, he PPs and is really good 5 on 5. I don't see the big deal of having both Rielly and Barrie on a pairing. They aren't physically imposing but would very well be a dominating pairing in terms of moving the puck up the ice and actually creating offence.

Hainsey will still be here and other pairings might actually benefit from him.

Also, it's possible the Leafs want to sell Gardiner high and replacing him with a similar version in Barrie as a RHD. We have plenty of LHD depth and perhaps it's a time to shift the deck chairs a little. A bit more out there as an idea but not impossible.

Reactions: Its not your fault

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think if we got him, I would actually pair him with Dermott.

Rielly-Hainsey
Dermott-Barrie
Gardiner-Zaitsev

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I'd imagine Gardiner would be going in any sort of deal.

If that is the case, it could be almost a straight up 1 for 1 trade. Barrie only has the 1 extra year on his deal, but Gardiner has the lower cap hit

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rielly is showing to be a great 2-way defenseman. He kills penalties, he PPs and is really good 5 on 5. I don't see the big deal of having both Rielly and Barrie on a pairing. They aren't physically imposing but would very well be a dominating pairing in terms of moving the puck up the ice and actually creating offence.

Hainsey will still be here and other pairings might actually benefit from him.

And keep the Gardiner Hainsey pairing together taking the tougher matchups?

I've watched a bit of Barrie and I'm not sure he can take first pair competition, I'm also not sure Rielly can carry Barrie in a top pair tough matchup situation yet and having Rielly taking mid pair matchups seems like a bit of a waste after his play this season

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
And keep the Gardiner Hainsey pairing together taking the tougher matchups?

I've watched a bit of Barrie and I'm not sure he can take first pair competition, I'm also not sure Rielly can carry Barrie in a top pair tough matchup situation yet and having Rielly taking mid pair matchups seems like a bit of a waste after his play this season

Sure? They are doing it now.

Either way, seems very unlikely pre-deadline. Feels like an off-season kind of trade to me, at which point we can fill holes/roles a little better and the prices aren't huge per say.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sure? They are doing it now.

Either way, seems very unlikely pre-deadline. Feels like an off-season kind of trade to me, at which point we can fill holes/roles a little better and the prices aren't huge per say.

They are but I'd like to see those two do it for a while longer before I'd be comfortable turning the keys over to Gardiner and Hainsey top pair

I don't think it matters when Barrie moves, it's going to be painful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad