Speculation: Friedman: Leafs and Isles in on Tyson Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
forget barrie, EJ makes much more sense.

EJ does make a lot of sense..... but I don't think EJ is realistic. He's a leader in that locker room, has made it known he wants to play for the Avs for the long, long haul and pretty much threw some shade (matter of interpretation) at Duchene for wanting out.

Would be great if we could get him though, fits a lot of the check-boxes for us.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I like Barrie, but I don't really see what he brings as a need on our blueline. We can move the puck fine and get plenty of production from the back-end. If we're investing in defencemen from outside, IMO they should be able to play Polak's role and knock him out of the lineup.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We can develop our own Barrie. No need to spend but it is telling how in a rush management is. Just hope they aren't in a big rush.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Not sure why they would want Barrie, he is an exact replica of gardner. He'd be great if we didnt already have gardner, but they are identical. Yes Erik Johnson would be such a great fit but he's too valuable and loved by the avs. Zadorov would be a better fit... not another soft offensive defensemen with shaky defense.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
We can develop our own Barrie. No need to spend but it is telling how in a rush management is. Just hope they aren't in a big rush.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are in a rush. They should be "in on" everything if only for the sake of being thorough. You get information just by going through the motions.

Reactions: MattySnipes

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Don't want to trade one of the big 3 at all.

As far as d-man targets though, Barrie is one of the best ones imo.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It really depends on how much he costs and how we use him. He basically is at his best when used like Gostisbehere. Which means sheltered bottom pairing minutes, with extensive 1st powerplay minutes. I don't think he's a great partner for Rielly. He could work with Gardiner if we keep that line really sheltered, and then trust Dermott-Hainsey to get decently tough usage.

I can't see them letting him go for cheap. Which means the ask is going to involve our 1st, and likely one of Dermott or Liljegren.

Our real need is a solid 2-way guy who can eat tough ES minutes and PK.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't really think the Leafs can afford to trade for a Dman right now.

With the younger bodies they have on the blueline with upside, I think you have to see what you have first.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
If it happens we may have to slap ourselves Ek first reported this in aug/sept.

Tbh he is a cheaper OEL. Numbers are very similar. I could see this happen and then we move gardiner.

What would colorado want? Spoke to some fans they are saying...Kadri, will or Mitch.

All of which are not likely unless we make a deal to acquire a center first. After our NHL lines we have goat and miro...simply put 3 4th line centers.

While we could move Marleau in the middle Babcock has said hed rather not so any1s guess.

1 issue I have with Barrie is he seems to get injured at big times...but i guess we shall see. Dunno why Isles want him...if Tavares walks they are screwed.

Any1 know if Barrie has a NMC? Or NTC?

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
It really depends on how much he costs and how we use him. He basically is at his best when used like Gostisbehere. Which means sheltered bottom pairing minutes, with extensive 1st powerplay minutes. I don't think he's a great partner for Rielly. He could work with Gardiner if we keep that line really sheltered, and then trust Dermott-Hainsey to get decently tough usage.

I can't see them letting him go for cheap. Which means the ask is going to involve our 1st, and likely one of Dermott or Liljegren.

Our real need is a solid 2-way guy who can eat tough ES minutes and PK.

Agree and no way we should pay such an asking price. Not worth it by a long shot.

I feel like he’s a better version of Gardiner, if that.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Why do you suppose they called dermott up in the first place. We know what we have in Borg, Carrick? Gard? Rielly and so forth...

I only see a need or want to trade for Barrie if it meant we make another move trading a PMD that leaves Gardiner or Dermott bc Rielly is untouchable

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He seems to be doing well this year. Only problem is that it keeps Polak in the line up. Unfortunately the only way I see Polak out of this line up is injury or we get a big physical right handed d man that’s better than hm

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
As well I realmy think our weakness is center...after 34 42 43 its very slim. Imagine now we lose 1 for a long period. You can slot Marleau in buf babcock doesnt like that idea. Nylander needs to work on 2way game. So really its center we need

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
Rielly-Hainsey
Dermott-Barrie
Gardiner-Zaitsev

I think I might faint if this happens

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
Why do you suppose they called dermott up in the first place. We know what we have in Borg, Carrick? Gard? Rielly and so forth...

I only see a need or want to trade for Barrie if it meant we make another move trading a PMD that leaves Gardiner or Dermott bc Rielly is untouchable

I’d be pissed if we traded Dermott. He could end up better than Barrie depending on how he develops.

I’m all for moving out guys like Gardiner/JVR/Bozak for the right price, but not the kids. We should develop them and see how they turn out.

God knows we’ve traded away enough picks and potential talent over the years.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hainsey Rielly
Gards Zaitsev
Dermott Lijegren
Borg Carrick
Rosen Polak

Unless he can kill penalties why the interest?

We got Mo, Z, Lil, Travis

All capable of playing quarterbacking the PP with 4F and 1D pp units what’s the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce