Speculation: Friedman: Leafs and Isles in on Tyson Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This Leaf team is closer to the Bruins than he 2013 team was and that team had the Bruins all but beaten if not for some mental mistakes, including the coach in the last 12 minutes of game 7.

I'd be interested in Barrie but I don't see Leafs willing to pay market price.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Definitely impressive. I'm just feeling like strength of schedule is a clear factor that cannot be ignored. Like I said before though, beating teams you should beat, consistently, is still impressive... I mean look no further than us. I believe we've lost 4 of 6 vs Detroit, Ottawa and Florida this season. I know you cannot win them all usually, but a team of the calibre we want to consider ourselves needs to have more of those.

Yup, all true. And it's true that we're past the toughest spots in our schedule whereas for Boston, the worst is yet to come so we could close the gap on them some though catching them seems like a bit much to hope for.

Anyway, I don't care that much about Boston TBH. I'm more concerned about the Leafs - will we get our s..t together and start playing like I think we're capable of and to into the playoffs on a high note like last season? Or will we continue to be consistently inconsistent.

I give Boston credit for being good, even very good. They're a veteran team and I think we can count on them to be ready when the playoffs start. We have to be at our best to give them a fight.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Glad Lou and company don't have the same defeatist attitude .

Do you think Islanders, Flyers and Devils are thinking similarly because they have Wash, CBJ and Pit ahead of them in their division? Anything can happen in the playoffs if your goalie gets hot. Otherwise let's forget the rest of the season and just have the Bruins and Lightning play a 7 game series to determine who goes to the SC final.
I hope Lou and company realize that anything can happen in the playoffs, BUT they're chances of winning a cup are a long shot at best. Prudent move is to move impending UFA's if possible and roll with Kappy, Leivo, Goat as fill ins. Yes they'll not be as good offensively, but they'll be better defensively which is how playoff hockey is played. This plan of action ensures the future of the team is entact, and they still get a chance of winning a cup, however far fetched the odds. I personally don't see a future for Bozak or Moore on the team going forward. I'm hesitant on what it would cost in both dollars and term to keep JVR (who's defensive liabilities are a huge issue with me), and then there's uncle Leo, who if used properly is worth keeping at the right price, however Babcock's perchance to over use him is a problem that solves itself if he's not here. Assets acquired form said moves could be used to help improve the back end for next year. This to me is the smartest route for both for this season and the future, it just makes too much sense not to employ. Guess will see if the Leafs are like minded in the weeks to come........................

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Dermott keeps playing the way he has, I see no reason to waste assets on another offensive defenceman.

If Babs utilizes our roster properly, I think our defence core could be much better than most people think once everyone is healthy.

Reactions: stickty111

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Glad Lou and company don't have the same defeatist attitude .

Do you think Islanders, Flyers and Devils are thinking similarly because they have Wash, CBJ and Pit ahead of them in their division? Anything can happen in the playoffs if your goalie gets hot. Otherwise let's forget the rest of the season and just have the Bruins and Lightning play a 7 game series to determine who goes to the SC final.

Sorry, but building a team on "hopes and dreams" instead of common sense and smart decisions, isn't the way to go.

Especially if there's young pieces waiting to potentially make an impact.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Bruins are good, but they are far from untouchable. They've been very hot lately, and they get full marks for winning games they should, but as a team they are closer to us than they are Tampa.

Lol.

That's....just not true.

That's not what their recent record over the past several weeks says.

It's also not what the standings say.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Lol.

That's....just not true.

That's not what their recent record over the past several weeks says.

It's also not what the standings say.

Literally just went over this. You can hold your opinion on it, but calling mine untrue is also just that. I presented my case.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Leafs can match up to any team in the league as long as we get #1 type goal tending for 60 minutes, imo.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Literally just went over this. You can hold your opinion on it, but calling mine untrue is also just that. I presented my case.

What case?

Tampa - 49 GP - 71 points
Boston - 47 GP - 66 points
Toronto - 51 GP - 61 points

They are 5 points ahead of us. They are 5 points behind Tampa. They have games in hand.

There is no case.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
What case?

Tampa - 49 GP - 71 points
Boston - 47 GP - 66 points
Toronto - 51 GP - 61 points

They are 5 points ahead of us. They are 5 points behind Tampa. They have games in hand.

There is no case.

Boston will crumble. Injuries, age and suspensions will catch up to them. Chara, Bergeron, Backes and Krecji cant and wont keep going as they are. They will come down to earth in a little while and Toronto will pass them in the standings. Same with TB losing Hedman as long as they have.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Boston will crumble. Injuries, age and suspensions will catch up to them. Chara, Bergeron, Backes and Krecji cant and wont keep going as they are. They will come down to earth in a little while and Toronto will pass them in the standings. Same with TB losing Hedman as long as they have.

Young guys Danton Heinen, Jake Debrusk, and Charlie McAvoy will only get better and better.

Krejci missed about 18 games the first half, doubt he misses that much in the 2nd half. Backes missed about as many.

They aren't going to reel off points in 18 straight again, but they aren't going anywhere. They are a very, very good team.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
what evidence do u have to support this claim? you can't argue that toronto will pass them in the standings without providing reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad