GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2014 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I know guys around here don't like Malik, but he absolutely killed it here.

Great article. Beautiful. Loved this part:

Managerially speaking, for the last three or four years, save the signing of Daniel Alfresson (which worked out wonderfully well), the team's management has been treading sideways. This team has a problem with its transmission--its transmission of pucks from defensemen to forwards--and instead of attempting to fix the transmission, it's gotten new tires, new brakes, an oil change and tune-up, it's gotten a pair of fuzzy dice and one of those fancy K&N air filters, but it's done nothing to address its damn transmission.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

This stuck out to me:

Maybe it's just me, but when you strike out on literally every single free agent defenseman you are trying to sign, when asked what happened it's better to offer up anything besides "I don't know" because it's his job to know

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Also wasn't a fan of this.

Not exactly difference makers, but guys who will yo-yo back and forth between the big club and Grand Rapids if injuries are again a major factor in Detroit’s season.

So those two 5'8 and 5'9 turds better not get called up over Mantha, Pulkkinen, and Athanasiou. Stay down in GR.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
This stuck out to me:

Its comments like that that piss me off on so many levels. First of all, he should know why. It is his job. He should have a read on the market. He should do his due diligence on both sides of the negotiations: figure out why guys turned you down, not just what they want to begin with.

Second of all, even if you didn't know why free agents turned you down, you don't say that publicly to the fanbase. Talk about bad PR.

I'm starting to think that Holland is unaware of how much the internet has taken hold here. The Freep and News are no longer the only mouthpieces running the show. There are journalists all over the internet who aren't going to tow the company line anymore and are asking the real questions. The insulation is no longer there.

But meanwhile, Holland thinks he can get away with a simple "I don't know" when asked why he struck out on everyone but the undesirables.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Is there any other actual news of whats going on post-Quincey, or does Holland feel like he has done what is required of him by re-signing a retread that fits zero of our needs? Are we still exploring trades?

It's like Holland made the Quincey signing and has since gone into hiding.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
“My first priority was to be on a good team,†Ehrhoff told TSN.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Wasn't there a tweet that said it was between Pittsburgh and Detroit, but he chose Pittsburgh?

Seems like we passed his first priority check based on that.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wasn't there a tweet that said it was between Pittsburgh and Detroit, but he chose Pittsburgh?

Seems like we passed his first priority check based on that.

Wings were his "getting paid" priority.

It boiled down to

Long term with mediocre team, but secured a hefty payday for five years. (Wings)

Chance to win (Pens)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
So you say. If his first priority is to land on a good team and he lists the Wings as one of his top two picks, then they are a good team in his opinion. No getting around it, really.

Or his comment that he wanted to go to a "good team" was offered as the reason why he chose Pittsburgh over Detroit. Don't know. I'm looking at this out of context. Either way, he must think theres a considerable gap between Pittsburgh and Detroit if he left $20M+ on the table to go to the Pens.

Either way, I think everyone has a touch of the Hollands here. Yes, we made the playoffs, but its pretty clear most of the big name free agents don't think that "anything can happen" if you make the playoffs.

Thats probably why barely making the playoffs and having broken down superstars isn't seen as an upgrade over Ovechkin and the Caps missing the big show this year.

Also, as an aside, I love the fact that Buffalo had no trouble landing some decent enough players. Particularly Moulson.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
So you disagree he thinks Detroit is a good team, despite his quote and the fact it came down to Detroit and Pittsburgh?

Okay.

“My first priority was to be on a good team,” Ehrhoff told TSN.

That's all the quote says. Is there more to it?

He would only consider playing for Detroit if he got a guaranteed 25 million dollars. That is how much it was going to cost to get him to play for a mediocre team.

Bad teams have to overpay to get talent.

He took a guaranteed 4 million over 25 million, just so he could play on a good team.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Or his comment that he wanted to go to a "good team" was offered as the reason why he chose Pittsburgh over Detroit. Don't know. I'm looking at this out of context. Either way, he must think theres a considerable gap between Pittsburgh and Detroit if he left $20M+ on the table to go to the Pens.

Either way, I think everyone has a touch of the Hollands here. Yes, we made the playoffs, but its pretty clear most of the big name free agents don't think that "anything can happen" if you make the playoffs.

Thats probably why barely making the playoffs and having broken down superstars isn't seen as an upgrade over Ovechkin and the Caps missing the big show this year.

Also, as an aside, I love the fact that Buffalo had no trouble landing some decent enough players. Particularly Moulson.

Isn't that a testament to how much of a crap shoot free agency is?

My opinion:

1. Holland isn't necessarily to blame for striking out on free agency due to the chaotic nature of free agency.
2. Holland is absolutely to blame for putting himself into a position where he had to rely on free agency in order to improve obvious deficiencies in the team structure.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Its comments like that that piss me off on so many levels. First of all, he should know why. It is his job. He should have a read on the market. He should do his due diligence on both sides of the negotiations: figure out why guys turned you down, not just what they want to begin with.

Second of all, even if you didn't know why free agents turned you down, you don't say that publicly to the fanbase. Talk about bad PR.

I'm starting to think that Holland is unaware of how much the internet has taken hold here. The Freep and News are no longer the only mouthpieces running the show. There are journalists all over the internet who aren't going to tow the company line anymore and are asking the real questions. The insulation is no longer there.

But meanwhile, Holland thinks he can get away with a simple "I don't know" when asked why he struck out on everyone but the undesirables.
I think he knows why he just does not want to release it to the public and he should not. He also should not say I don't know but it is what it is.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
“My first priority was to be on a good team,†Ehrhoff told TSN.

That's all the quote says. Is there more to it?

He would only consider playing for Detroit if he got a guaranteed 25 million dollars. That is how much it was going to cost to get him to play for a mediocre team.

Bad teams have to overpay to get talent.

If his first priority is to be on a good team (and assuming you think he doesn't view Detroit as a good team), then Detroit wouldn't have been on his list to begin with. So there's that.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If his first priority is to be on a good team (and assuming you think he doesn't view Detroit as a good team), then Detroit wouldn't have been on his list to begin with. So there's that.

His priority was to play on a good team.

Failing that, his second priority was to get paid.

You are basically saying he thinks Detroit is a good team because Pittsburgh was on the list.

Each team has it's pros and cons.

Detroit

Pro - Financial security

Con - Aging and declining roster

Pittsburgh

Pro - Crosby and Malkin

Con - No financial security

At the end of the day, he valued the chance to win over financial security.

Pens have abysmal defense and a head case in net, and still routinely make it to the ECF.

Wings just get taken to the woodshed every year.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Clearly players have seen Holland do nothing for the past 5 years. They want more than a first round exit.

I also kind of think Holland always tries to get a bargain. For once, just do what the PLAYER asks because your team needs it badly enough OBVIOUSLY. Ehrhoff said he wanted 5. Holland says no sorry Christian only 3. Ehrhoff turns the other cheek and gives another team a stab. What if Holland said okay, 5 it is?! You think we'd have Ehrhoff on the team? I do. Worst case scenario it doesn't work after a year or 2, he is still very much an easy trade piece.

Pavel and Hanks last few years are gonna go to waste. Then to make matters worse he signs the LEFTY for over 4 million a year.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Isn't that a testament to how much of a crap shoot free agency is?

My opinion:

1. Holland isn't necessarily to blame for striking out on free agency due to the chaotic nature of free agency.
2. Holland is absolutely to blame for putting himself into a position where he had to rely on free agency in order to improve obvious deficiencies in the team structure.

Its quite obviously a testament to the future of the organization. No one minds signing with a team that has the best chance to be the next Pittsburgh/Chicago, especially with Murray's widely publicized and thus far well-executed plan.

On that note, I think its also a testament to the fact that the city is a minor consideration for most players. Buffalo is far from a gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad