GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2014 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
In regards to Ehroff and leaving money on the table he was asked straight out by the tsn panel and answered that he believes he has many good years left in him and a long term contract right now doesn't really matter to him. He went with what team he believed had the best shot next year. In his mind it was Pitt. Can't really fault him.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
In regards to Ehroff and leaving money on the table he was asked straight out by the tsn panel and answered that he believes he has many good years left in him and a long term contract right now doesn't really matter to him. He went with what team he believed had the best shot next year. In his mind it was Pitt. Can't really fault him.

Did he sleep through this year's playoffs? Pitt has more problems than just signing Ehroff to tweak things, and then there's the ornery Western powerhouses. :laugh:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Why put two of the best two way centers in the league on the same line tho? Makes no sense to me. I'd be like Boston playing Bergeron and Krecji on the same line. If we had a more capable 2C it would be fine but Weiss hasn't been able to show he can perform in that role yet. I do think Hank and Nyquist should play together, they've shown some amazing chemistry. I like Sheahan with Jurco. Datsyuk could use some fresh blood. He and Mule is a decent starting point but they need an added dimension. Instead of playing Abby there, I think Babcock should move Tatar up and give that line more speed. Dats and Tats played together sparingly last year with mixed results but I think with a little more time to get used to each other they could make a nice little duo.

Weiss is a fine 2C by all historical accounts. He was injured as hell last year and tried to gut it out. Didn't work. If he's healthy this year it'll work.

And I don't like Datsyuk and Tatar together. Tatar always wants the puck. He's banging his stick on the ice for the puck, staring down his teammate until he gets passed to. Datsyuk also needs the puck to be effective.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Did he sleep through this year's playoffs? Pitt has more problems than just signing Ehroff to tweak things, and then there's the ornery Western powerhouses. :laugh:

I highly doubt Chicago, Boston, and LA were offering Ehrhoff a deal, let alone 4 million a year. The fact that he probably thought Pittsburgh gave him the best chance at a Cup out of the teams who offered him contracts puts us even lower down on the list. Not that I'm surprised.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Weiss is a fine 2C by all historical accounts. He was injured as hell last year and tried to gut it out. Didn't work. If he's healthy this year it'll work.

And I don't like Datsyuk and Tatar together. Tatar always wants the puck. He's banging his stick on the ice for the puck, staring down his teammate until he gets passed to. Datsyuk also needs the puck to be effective.

But Tatar is a goal scorer and that's what Pav needs. He can adapt his game somewhat to playing with Pav. It's good that he wants the puck though, get open and Pav will give him all the pucks he wants. I mean Hank wants the puck all the time to, do you have a problem with Hank and Pav playing together?

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
But Tatar is a goal scorer and that's what Pav needs. He can adapt his game somewhat to playing with Pav. It's good that he wants the puck though, get open and Pav will give him all the pucks he wants. I mean Hank wants the puck all the time to, do you have a problem with Hank and Pav playing together?

Z is different in that he's phenomenal with or without the puck. It's why everyone he plays with has chemistry with him. He does a ton that goes unnoticed.

Tatar was always carrying the puck last year and I agree that his style isn't ideal for Datsyuk's wing. It could be adapted to work but I think it worked well with Jurco and Sheahan. I like keeping them as the third line.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Z is different in that he's phenomenal with or without the puck. It's why everyone he plays with has chemistry with him. He does a ton that goes unnoticed.

Tatar was always carrying the puck last year and I agree that his style isn't ideal for Datsyuk's wing. It could be adapted to work but I think it worked well with Jurco and Sheahan. I like keeping them as the third line.

That's why it's hard for me to keep Pav and Z together. They make everyone else better, seems like a waste to have it all on one line. One player benefits as opposed to four.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Tatar is a perfect transition game counter-strike winger to give some bottom6 scoring. He is the bread and butter example how the whole Slovakian National team will play.

Tatar makes us deep. Winning teams are deep with scoring bottom6. And he makes the 2nd PP dangerous.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Great quote from this article I read today

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ncy/article19435266/?cmpid=rss1&click=dlvr.it

"Edmonton Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish made the point a few weeks ago – 80 per cent of the contracts signed in free agency tend to be poor deals in the long run."

A lot of truth in that...

Keep repeating that to yourself while watching our power play this season and hope that it makes you feel better. If you don't do significant trades and you haven't developed your top prospects - in this case Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith and Adam Alvqivst - then you are forced to improve your roster via free agency. I get that Holland wants guys who have never played in Detroit to sign for a hometown discount but perhaps a better route is to overpay for a proven power play QB so your team isn't the worst scoring team in the NHL playoffs next season.

We are quickly turning into the Chicago Blackhawks under dolla Bill Wirtz. :shakehead

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just saw thAT Downie signed a 1 yr 1 Mil deal with like Pit. Whatever.

I was lectured that Downie and Boyle were going to cost big bucks come July 1st. Good to see Stevie lock down a very good net front power play guy in Boyle. I like what #19 is doing down in Tampa.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I really hope we can dump Stephen Weiss off on someone left standing at the altar, and will be fooled into thinking they are getting someone actually good.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I really hope we can dump Stephen Weiss off on someone left standing at the altar, and will be fooled into thinking they are getting someone actually good.

Oilers are looking for a stop gap 2C for Draisaitl. Holland should try Weiss and Kindl for Jeff Petry (who is RH).

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
There goes Vrbata lmao. Hysterical how worthless Holland is.

Does anyone else see the lack of grit too. Nothing has been done for that. I'm not even talking heavyweight fighters. ALL cup teams have some sandpaper. We have Justin Abdelkader. LA had Greene, King, Clifford, Muzzin had some crushing hits, Mike Richards. Chicago won with Bickell, Shaw, Bollig, and Brookbank. Boston had Lucic, McQuaid, Thornton, weasel Marchand. Our cup team won it with McCarty, Drake, and Downey on the roster correct?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
There goes Vrbata lmao. Hysterical how worthless Holland is.

Does anyone else see the lack of grit too. Nothing has been done for that. I'm not even talking heavyweight fighters. ALL cup teams have some sandpaper. We have Justin Abdelkader. LA had Greene, King, Clifford, Muzzin had some crushing hits, Mike Richards. Chicago won with Bickell, Shaw, Bollig, and Brookbank. Boston had Lucic, McQuaid, Thornton, weasel Marchand. Our cup team won it with McCarty, Drake, and Downey on the roster correct?
Abdelkader, Ericsson, Jurco (that guy will run you over), and even Smith and Glendening will get in your face. I'm actually not too worried in that department. They're not going to intimidate anybody, but they're not scared of anybody, either.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Abdelkader, Ericsson, Jurco (that guy will run you over), and even Smith and Glendening will get in your face. I'm actually not too worried in that department. They're not going to intimidate anybody, but they're not scared of anybody, either.

None of those guys are as effective at their grit roles as any of the ones I listed above. None really stick up for their teammates. Smith and Ericsson are top 4 defenseman. Ericsson watched Kronwall get murdered and did nothing good. Jurco is physical but he is supposed to be a skilled young rookie. Abdelkader thinks he's a skilled player. We don't have a Matt Greene. We don't have a Bickell. We don't have a Shaw. No Lucic. Those guys are difference makers in the playoffs.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
In my dreams...

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Ales Hemsky ($4.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Brad Richards ($2.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($1.500m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.950m) / Teemu Pulkkinen ($0.698m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.709m)
Landon Ferraro ($0.800m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
Danny DeKeyser ($2.000m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m) / Anton Stralman ($4.500m)
Mattias Backman ($0.718m) / Alexei Marchenko ($0.667m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000
CAP PAYROLL: $65,666,667
BONUSES: $945,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,333,333

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

Glendonothing is gritty. That always amuses me. :laugh:

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Good news is that if Weiss is healthy next year, and if Zetterberg/Datsyuk don't regress, and if the kids take another step forward, we may actually end up with a better team. I wonder where Alfredsson will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille