GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2014 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

we like our team*

you know it's really the offseason when people start talking about lack of toughness

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
you know it's really the offseason when people start talking about lack of toughness

Yeah I don't know where you are going with this one. Kronwall taken out on a stretcher, nothing. Datsyuk elbowed in the face, nothing. The same guy, Cowen, boards Helm and injures him, nothing. Marchand went after Zetterbergs back, shocker.

Teams don't care what they do to us because they get away with it.

Playoff and Stanley Cup winning teams have lots of grit. Glendening and Abdelkader are not Lucic, or Shaw, or Bickell, or Richards. We don't have a couple of those guys and it hurts. We limp every year, then get pushed around every year. It's VERY obvious.

Did you um watch the Boston series. They looked VERY afraid of going to the net hard and cutting to the middle because Boston makes you pay to go there.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Yeah I don't know where you are going with this one. Kronwall taken out on a stretcher, nothing. Datsyuk elbowed in the face, nothing. The same guy, Cowen, boards Helm and injures him, nothing. Marchand went after Zetterbergs back, shocker.

Teams don't care what they do to us because they get away with it.

Playoff and Stanley Cup winning teams have lots of grit. Glendening and Abdelkader are not Lucic, or Shaw, or Bickell, or Richards. We don't have a couple of those guys and it hurts. We limp every year, then get pushed around every year. It's VERY obvious.

Did you um watch the Boston series. They looked VERY afraid of going to the net hard and cutting to the middle because Boston makes you pay to go there.

The guys you mentioned, Cowen and Marchand, do cheap crap against every team though. Im not sure if the Wings having more toughness would have done anything in those situations.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
The Red Wings folded like cheap suits but hey if you think we are as good as Montreal then I'll just LOL and move on.

Detroit last year (Fully Healthy)
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller

Kronwall-Smith
DeKeyser-Ericsson
Quincey-Kindl

Howard

Montreal last year (Fully Healthy)
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta
Bournival-Briere-Weise

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Markov
Bouillon-Weaver

Price

Bolded- Better player at position

Pretty even if you ask me, difference last year was we weren't healthy while they were

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The Red Wings folded like cheap suits but hey if you think we are as good as Montreal then I'll just LOL and move on.

Pretty much agree that Montreal is much more skilled than Detroit. Detroit has typically been a team in the mold of Montreal, we just don't have the skill at this point. I don't think going the Toronto route and overpaying for guys like Dave Clarkson is the way to go. Just my opinion.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Pretty much agree that Montreal is much more skilled than Detroit. Detroit has typically been a team in the mold of Montreal, we just don't have the skill at this point. I don't think going the Toronto route and overpaying for guys like Dave Clarkson is the way to go. Just my opinion.

Montreal also has more grit.

Prust
Gallagher
Weise
Moen
Murray
Bouillon
Tougher than anything he Wings would ever line up

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Hey guys. Avs-fan here.

After striking out on FA like you guys did the other day... wouldn't it be a fantastic move to offer sheet a guy like Reilly Smith? I remember posting something here last summer about offer sheeting Nyquist when you were in the same situation.

I don't know what the maximum amount of salary you could give a guy and only pay a 2nd rounder in compensation as of today(Just over 3.2M I believe?). But wouldn't it be worth it? I'm sure he'd sign with you guys considering his brother is there. Either Bruins struggle to match it and you screw things up bad for division rival. Or, you get a pretty good young winger to your team for a 2nd rounder.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Hey guys. Avs-fan here.

After striking out on FA like you guys did the other day... wouldn't it be a fantastic move to offer sheet a guy like Reilly Smith? I remember posting something here last summer about offer sheeting Nyquist when you were in the same situation.

I don't know what the maximum amount of salary you could give a guy and only pay a 2nd rounder in compensation as of today(Just over 3.2M I believe?). But wouldn't it be worth it? I'm sure he'd sign with you guys considering his brother is there. Either Bruins struggle to match it and you screw things up bad for division rival. Or, you get a pretty good young winger to your team for a 2nd rounder.

I think it'd be a great idea for anyone to do it. The thing is I'm not sure Smith would sign it, especially if the Bruins have indicated that the will pay him accordingly in 2 or 3 seasons. The other problem is that we'll be having a lot of RFAs needing contract extensions soon and if we overpay for another teams RFA they'll likely use that as leverage to try and avoid the 2nd contract.

Hopefully someone does offer sheet Smith in the 3.2M+ range and it screws them over.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 19 s
Hurricanes brought back Tim Gleason earlier today on one-year, $1.2-million deal. Good business if you can get Leafs to buy out your guys...

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think Callahan rotates on the 4th line as the 13th forward next year. It will at least bring in some grit.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Hey guys. Avs-fan here.

I don't think you guys struck out at all. I think you guys did well.

You replaced Stasny with another solid, veteran winger and brought in a good veteran stay at home defenseman as well. I would have been happy if the Wings made the moves you guys did.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Take it with a huge grain of salt, but Eklund said Wings have interest in ex-Northern Michigan Mike Santorelli.

I actually wouldn't mind that, I thought he looked good last year. Can play center or wing, and is right handed.

He or Setoguchi could be a good RH option if Alfredsson retires maybe.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Take it with a huge grain of salt, but Eklund said Wings have interest in ex-Northern Michigan Mike Santorelli.

I actually wouldn't mind that, I thought he looked good last year. Can play center or wing, and is right handed.

Is he fast? I'd like someone fast. His size is okay, I don't recall ever watching him.

As for Seto, I keep hearing that name but I don't want him. Whenever we played the Sharks I got to watch him play, so... a lot, and I was never impressed. It was always Pavelski and Couture and Marleau that killed us. Seto was just along for the ride.

I guess if we can get him really cheap I'm not opposed, he seems like he'd be a step down from Alfie though.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013

Where would he play? Seems decent enough but I'm just not sure where he fits on the roster. I don't see him in our top six and the bottom six is already pretty crowded.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
If the Wings had upgraded their D (which we have yet to do) and iced the following roster this year

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Alfie/Mantha-Datsyuk-Sheahan
Tatar-Weiss-Jurco
Abs-Helm-Miller/Glenny Etc

Kronner-Smith
Dekeyser-Other
Ericsson- Marchenko

I have no doubt that the Wings could beat a team like Boston because fast lineups can beat gritty lineups. The Wings teams that won the cup and went to the finals were probably less gritty then that team. The key is being healthy. Losing Ericsson and having Z/Dats at 50% capacity allowed Boston to basically just bully the rookies. Those guys won't be rookies this year and if Z/Dats are healthy they'll be able to be supporting scorers and not the main focus.

I fully expect a much better forward outing this year, but our actual defense w/ Quincey still remains terrible.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i'll take santorelli. doubt he would ask big money as he is still available. i'd like that. signing santo could be one of the best UFA signings he's had in past 5 years. low risk, medium reward.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Where would he play? Seems decent enough but I'm just not sure where he fits on the roster. I don't see him in our top six and the bottom six is already pretty crowded.

He has versatility.

Could play as high as 2C if Weiss can't go, or if he plays then gets hurt.

Could play 3rd line center and bump Sheahan up.

Could play wing on line 2 or 3. He was on pace for 20 goals until he got hurt. Though he was playing with good linemates.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i'll take santorelli. doubt he would ask big money as he is still available. i'd like that. signing santo could be one of the best UFA signings he's had in past 5 years. low risk, medium reward.

I agree Choker, I would like the move.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
He has versatility.

Could play as high as 2C if Weiss can't go, or if he plays then gets hurt.

Could play 3rd line center and bump Sheahan up.

Could play wing on line 2 or 3. He was on pace for 20 goals until he got hurt. Though he was playing with good linemates.
It is pretty much a sure thing we are rarely 100% so if he could stay healthy he'd be a very nice guy to have. Still, it looks like fully healthy Jurco will probably already start in GR, so I'm hesitant to add more at forward. Someone actually useful like Santo I would like though, can just bump Glendening back to the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille