Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It is JT or bust. And when I say JT I mean Tavares.
I don't care what Lou and Shanny do, they need to show the love for Tavares, heck-can we all pitch in and put up a sign or an ad saying something like #comehomeJT.
We need another C that can play a two way game with offence. A look at all the team that are doing well in the playoffs, they all have 3 capable Cs playing.
Rick Nash will be interesting as long as it is not over 4mil for 3 yrs. He provide a much needed edge and size for the Leafs and I can see him benefit from having Marner as the opposite winger.
As for Dmen, we need someone who can play the physical game on the right side. Doesn't need to be a top D but just someone who plays solid in the zone, with an edge and can clear the crease, pretty much a better version of Polak-which should not be hard to find-and the only reason the Leafs still searching for one is mainly b/c they thought Polak is good enough.

Lastly, unless Nucks is willing to take Bracco and a 3rd rounder, we should not even attempt to trade for Tanev aka Mr. 50 games.

Doughty to me is THE #1 Dman, if you have been reading my posts, you will know that I would even trade Willie and Marner for Doughty. However, after this playoffs, I am having my doubts. He doesn't have the fire and leadership that I once thought, on top of that he is starting to become sideshow bob on ice.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'd love James Neal as a solid replacement for JVR. We will definitely miss the net presence but his toughness is needed in the top 6.

But yes, JT would be huge if we add him to this core.

Hymen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Letestu - Leivo
Martin

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - FA (Ozhiganov)
Bergman, Carrick

Freddie
Sparks

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Neal would be an amazing replacement for JVR as would Nash. Both are beasts downlow unlike JVR and can easily fill a front of the net role on the PP...Neal is actually a very good sniper and would fit in beautifully on our roster but unfortunately for us he will need long term dollars. No chance we can afford to sign Tavares and Neal both. Only reason Nash works in theory is because we can sign him to a 1 year potentially. To me its Tavares and Nash with Nash as a 1 year...OR Thornton and Neal with Thornton as the 1 year.

I know D is an issue but i dont see any real options and i do think if Zaitsev can bounce back and Rielly and Dermott can continue development we have a pretty solid d core with great skating ability. If we get Tavares we have an amazing group of two way Cs up the middle and with that combined with our bluelines great skating ability and freddie in goal, we will be more then fine.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think someone mentioned it, our Ds are all the same, as in they are essentially the same type of Dmen. We need a mix, and I think Gards might be the odd man out, just hope the other D coming back is just as good.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I am shocking myself with this as I have never been a fan of his antics, but I’m starting to think with a focu and discipline like he’s been showing in San Jose, if a UFA Evander Kane is someone we should be pursuing this offseason.

Big, skilled, can skate, and is extremely physical. Young enough to be part of our core and with Godfather Lou and Straight Arriw Shanahan keeping him in line........

Again, can’t believe I’m saying it, but he’s been a prominent piece in the Sharks playoffs thus far.

Thoughts?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
CDH is "nice" but he's had a lot of shoulder injuries and is another LHD, he won't move the needle very much.

Reality is if we want to add a defenseman that can make a different it will cost us. Do we want to pay that price now or later? I am prepared to do it now IFFFF it's the right defenseman. Mentally I am prepared if it has to be Nylander but I am not pushing him out of town by any stretch. Defenseman just cost a lot in this league to acquire.
I compare CDH favourably to Tanev. Many fans believe Tanev is the answer for the D group at the cost of a 1st + 2nd + prospect. CDH only costs cap space. Hainsey is getting old, CDH is still a young player.

I think blowing up the core this early is crazy, even for Doughty. Drop JVR and Nylander from the forward group and the talent isn't there up front. It is creating a hole to fill another. We've likely seen the best of Doughty, Nylander could still explode. I don't want to see him to do that somewhere else.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@firstemperor I agree completely about it being a fine line, but I think that's a line that has to be walked, and you walk it through player selection. Not just trade for "high motor" but for "high motor with offensive skill and upside" eg. if you look at Tierney that's someone that's going to be a Kadri type/ secondary core player. I got into these debates a lot in the summer of 15, advocating for packages like Montour++, Trochek++ etc rather than being entrenched on needing Theodore/Huberdeau etc. Basically I think this thread places way too much of a premium on familiar proven "name brand" talent rather playing for the win gambling on the undervalued. I'm not saying we should move on from Nylander for a package, but that IF we do move on I'd rather see us win the deal with shrewd speculation on a mix of pieces that contribute both short and long term rather and than fixate and overpay. Be the Bruins, not Brian Burke.

Kessel for 2 x 1st + 2nd (but less futures based) not Kessel+ AHL Marchand+ AHL Mcquaid/Boychuk+ 1st for xxxx

Last edited:
Reactions: firstemperor

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Not getting Vatanen was a big miss imo. He would fit our team quite well. The Ducks got Henrique, but were also injury riddled at the time, so I could see the possibility that they would've taken a futures-based deal at the time.

Maybe Bracco, Nielsen, 2 2nd's?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Not getting Vatanen was a big miss imo. He would fit our team quite well. The Ducks got Henrique, but were also injury riddled at the time, so I could see the possibility that they would've taken a futures-based deal at the time.

The Ducks hadn't signalled they were rebuilding. If they were they would have let Vegas take Vatanen and protected Theodore. We couldn't give up a Henrique level player off the roster.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The Ducks hadn't signalled they were rebuilding. If they were they would have let Vegas take Vatanen and protected Theodore. We couldn't give up a Henrique level player off the roster.

There's 2 guys that I would like to get from the Ducks (that could possibly be available). Jakob Silfverberg & Brandon Montour. If the Leafs feel like they made a mistake or simply just see more in Montour, then a swap of Zaitsev could be a fit. As for Silfverberg, I think the Leafs could use some veteran scoring up front and I think that you could send Leivo the other way to give him a chance in a new organization.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
There's 2 guys that I would like to get from the Ducks (that could possibly be available). Jakob Silfverberg & Brandon Montour. If the Leafs feel like they made a mistake or simply just see more in Montour, then a swap of Zaitsev could be a fit. As for Silfverberg, I think the Leafs could use some veteran scoring up front and I think that you could send Leivo the other way to give him a chance in a new organization.
Zaitsev has negative value until he rebounds. They killed Leivo's value as well by not playing him at all. Those deals would need to be reworked.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Zaitsev has negative value until he rebounds. They killed Leivo's value as well by not playing him at all. Those deals would need to be reworked.

Obviously more would have to be involved to get a deal done, but I don't think that Zaitsev has negative value. He isn't playing well at the moment (and after the injury).

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

The number of times I was told in this thread that he "wasn't the type of d-man we needed." Same with Ellis and Spurgeon. Effective defense and transition is effective defense and transition, no matter the size of the player bringing it.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Trade jvr, Bozak rights for JT. Offer JT 8 year contract, throw in conditional picks depending on who signs.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Lol at Zaitsev + Leivo getting Montour + Silv showtime

Also don't think Tavares can be signed for 8 years by anyone but NYI even if they trade rights. Has to be on the team at the trade deadline for 8 year eligibility

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Also don't think Tavares can be signed for 8 years by anyone but NYI even if they trade rights. Has to be on the team at the trade deadline for 8 year eligibility

And he has to sign before July 1 with the isles for that

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Thought we might have had a chance to acquire him prior to the expansion draft, but IIRC, circumstances changed for the Ducks (related to injuries?, NMC with Bieksa?). Really nice fit, but the asking price or what we could've afforded to part with didn't align afterwards.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Any UFAs people have an interest in besides Carlson or Tavares? I had a couple I was interested in.

• Greg Pateryn on a 1-2 year deal, should be cheap, can work on the 3rd pairing or 7th. Originally he was our pick lol
  • Dan Hamhuis might work on 1 year deal depending on other moves we make, if Gardiner moved as an example, i'd be interested in him as a vet 3rd pairing LHD guy OR maybe if Dermott moved to RD.
  • Ian Cole, similar to Dan Hamhuis BUT I think he might be too expensive for the role
  • Chris Wagner might not be a bad signing as a spare forward, he received HEAVY defensive starts with both NYI and ANA but can muck it up

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

That wasn't my actual trade proposal. I was just saying that I would like to get those 2 players out of Anaheim. I also don't think that Zaitsev will get any love from these boards to his actual ability.

I think that Silfverberg is a good 3rd liner for this team going forward. He's a 40 point guy that could give the Leafs depth. I don't see a huge price tag on him though. As for Montour, he's going to cost a good prospect and an NHL body. I don't necessarily want to give up on Zaitsev at this point, but I think that Montour has a bit of a higher ceiling than Zaitsev does.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Literally none of them have ever been proven and there was legitimate proof that those women were paid off by CNN prior to "coming out" just before they said it. Sorry man, don't drink the liberal koolaid.
“I did try and f*** her. She was married. I moved on her like a bitch. But I couldn't get there. I just start kissing them. I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything—grab them by the p***y. You can do anything.”

Now that's a stand up guy you want around your daughter!

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
I’m not willing to give him a chance article I read said he was found guilty of kicking his wife multiple times while she was on the ground, why would we want a coward playing for the leafs? A guy kicking a guy while he is on the ground is cowardly but your wife that is some piece ****.

I’m sorry if you look like a ****
Sound like a ****
Act like a ****

You are a ****
Fair enough but I doubt that Tie Domi's legendary status amongst his fans hasn't changed one iota since he violated his wife/daughter's restraining order years ago.

I realise that the Domi and Voynov cases don't equate but I think alot of people don't apply equivalent standards to all players.

If Domi had done what Voynov did while a player I sincerely doubt any of his biggest fans would have wanteed him gone.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
God I hope were not in on Carlson lmao.

Dudes much worse than Hainsey defensively and we dont need another defenseman that needs sheltering. Literally what people thought Shattenkirk was (incorrectly I might add), Carlson is.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think they sign a guy like Pateryn and trade for Tanev.
Say Connor Brown + 1st rounder for Tanev + 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad