Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Thornton has had a great career... but he missed a lot of time last year. Is that a fluke, or is he breaking down? He'd be a great get on a two year deal, looking for a cup.
for sure, it's a gamble but one we might be able to afford with Nylander starting in a winger position. I can't imagine that Thornton would want longer than a 2 year deal too

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well this is likely Bozak's last big paycheck so he should probably do what is best for him and his family moving forward.

Also, I am pretty sure he didn't take less to stay in Toronto, or at least not significantly less. The offers weren't there so he came circling back.

Generally, teams in the bottom 10 in the standings or competitive teams that missed out on players like JT (x2) will throw money at Bozak.

from what i remember, Bozak didn't shop UFA. he wanted to be a Leaf.
like he wasn't making league minimum, taking a smaller contract could still be beneficial if he wanted to be a leaf.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
from what i remember, Bozak didn't shop UFA. he wanted to be a Leaf.
like he wasn't making league minimum, taking a smaller contract could still be beneficial if he wanted to be a leaf.

He definitely had an offer from Detroit at the time but opted to re-sign with us.

Detroit then turned around and signed Weiss.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
how on earth do you know that?
he took less to stay 5 years ago.
as we've seen - some players def. take less than we think to stay with the team they wanna be with.

I can’t see the Leafs giving him term (ie more than two years) and he has his family’s financial future to think about. He’d be a fool to turn down say a 16 million dollar (4x4) offer from another team to take a two year deal from the Leafs - I certainly can’t see his agent letting him do that.

I also don’t buy for a moment he took less to stay with the Leafs 5 years ago. He hadn’t hit 50 points and there were significant questions if he could produce away from Kessel. Quite frankly, given the context of the time of his Nonis contract was probably on the slightly higher end.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
5 years ago he could have had more (and his performance was worth it) , and he took less because he said he wanted to be a leaf etc. I mean he COULD leave for more (ie: if the Leafs don't make him an offer which could be possible) but i wouldn't assume because this is his 'last' contract he'd price himself out.

he could easily want to stay with the team where he developed with, been through a LOT of crap, and is now poised to do great things. that's just as important.

who will pay him more, and where are they?

Vancouver media has been speculating that the Nucks are looking to sign him.

I also think you’re thinking a bit too much like a fan. Got to remember for these guys it’s as much as a business as it is a game.

He’s a “middle class” type of player and risks not getting any kind of contract in say 3 years from now.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If Bozak was was willing to take a contract below market value to be our number 4 center I would be all over it from a Leafs perspective. He is effective on the draws, can kill penalties he has in the past but not this regime and did well. I can see Bozak taking a contract on the high end what hes making today with the Leafs. But I can also see teams not seeing the worth of this type of contract.

One team I wouldnt be surprised in him going to is Pittsburgh on a cheap deal. But even that would mean him being a 4th line center with Crosby-Malkn-Brassard ahead of him.

Maybe he will come back to Toronto on a cheap prove it deal as Polak did with no suitors.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Vancouver media has been speculating that the Nucks are looking to sign him.

I also think you’re thinking a bit too much like a fan. Got to remember for these guys it’s as much as a business as it is a game.

He’s a “middle class” type of player and risks not getting any kind of contract in say 3 years from now.

so? I didn't say i wasn't?
all i know is sometimes people just stay put for less money if the team they are on is trending really well. I look at Doan who stayed (and took less and less money, to the point he got booted out unceremoniously by Arizona - to stay in Arizona? Why? because that was his team).

Bozak could go and get money from vancouver - or anywhere else. I'm not denying that. but what i am saying is that he could also take a little bit less to stay where he is comfortable for a Cup-Contending team. I dont understand why this is so far out of the realm of possibility of thought.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I can’t see the Leafs giving him term (ie more than two years) and he has his family’s financial future to think about. He’d be a fool to turn down say a 16 million dollar (4x4) offer from another team to take a two year deal from the Leafs - I certainly can’t see his agent letting him do that.

I also don’t buy for a moment he took less to stay with the Leafs 5 years ago. He hadn’t hit 50 points and there were significant questions if he could produce away from Kessel. Quite frankly, given the context of the time of his Nonis contract was probably on the slightly higher end.

as SprDave said, Detrioit def. made an offer and he chose us.
I don't understand truly why when some people on this team take cheap deals they believe in us and they're great, but Bozak flat out said he wanted to be a Leaf and came back it's basically because no one wanted him which is what you are inferring.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
so? I didn't say i wasn't?
all i know is sometimes people just stay put for less money if the team they are on is trending really well. I look at Doan who stayed (and took less and less money, to the point he got booted out unceremoniously by Arizona - to stay in Arizona? Why? because that was his team).

Bozak could go and get money from vancouver - or anywhere else. I'm not denying that. but what i am saying is that he could also take a little bit less to stay where he is comfortable for a Cup-Contending team. I dont understand why this is so far out of the realm of possibility of thought.

I think the issue is term. If the leafs were offering a little less on a 5 year deal sure. But if they offered 1-2 years as compared to 5-6 that’s a terrible deal.

Doan was the franchise. I don’t think he was a 31 yr old UFA who took a 1 year deal instead of a long term contract.... would you?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I dont think its out of the question that both Bozak and JVR come back on team friendly deals. Again I agree with some, we are a championship caliber team that both of these players grew up in. Why not???

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think the issue is term. If the leafs were offering a little less on a 5 year deal sure. But if they offered 1-2 years as compared to 5-6 that’s a terrible deal.

Doan was the franchise. I don’t think he was a 31 yr old UFA who took a 1 year deal instead of a long term contract.... would you?

but why would the leafs offer only 1-2?
all i am saying that, Bozak could choose to stay for less because he wants to stay with the Leafs for a chance to win. other ppl do it i don't think it's so bananas to think Bozak would.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
as SprDave said, Detrioit def. made an offer and he chose us.
I don't understand truly why when some people on this team take cheap deals they believe in us and they're great, but Bozak flat out said he wanted to be a Leaf and came back it's basically because no one wanted him which is what you are inferring.

It’s because I think the gap in terms of deal with the Leafs vs what he could get on the free agency market is likely pretty substantial.

If we were talking about just a couple million dollars I’d agree with you, but as mentioned I have a hard time seein the Leafs offer him more than 2 years at about 4 million per. And I think he could get twice as much term from another team (and so about 8 million dollars worth of guaranteed income).

Is there a chance he could still stay with the Leafs? Absolutely, but I think the smart bet is he’s playing for another team next year.

I also don’t think anybody’s really taken a cheap deal to stay with the Leafs over the last couple years (again, not to say such a thing is never going to happen).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
but why would the leafs offer only 1-2?
all i am saying that, Bozak could choose to stay for less because he wants to stay with the Leafs for a chance to win. other ppl do it i don't think it's so bananas to think Bozak would.

I guess none of us really know, but with the cap crunch in 2 yrs I think they are not going to want to get stuck with a long term deal on a mid 30s player. I mean. I could be wrong and they sign him for 4.2 x 5 again but I think they will go with a stop gap 1 yr UFA like Thornton or Stastny (overpaying in cash instead of term) then see if will can move over at 23.

You could be 100 percent right. IF they want a long term Center. Bozak might give them a bargain. I just don’t know that they will. We have like 25 to spend next year and then it gets tight. I would overpay Stastny for 1 year myself

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You could be 100 percent right. IF they want a long term Center. Bozak might give them a bargain. I just don’t know that they will. We have like 25 to spend next year and then it gets tight. I would overpay Stastny for 1 year myself

If you go to places like Cap Friendly, we have $25 to spend, before the Cap goes up. That's expected to be an increase of $5-7 million. That is also not putting Horton on LTIR, which gives us another ~ $5 mil. So, closer to $35 mil next year is available.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Might not want to deal with all the media/fame that comes with it. I will say though that Lou has set it up fairly well.

Some say that. Phil Kessel was able to deal with it. I can't see why JT wouldn't. If his girlfriend and family have ties in Toronto, I think we should be able to convince him to come home.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hockey players have to be the only professional players that would rather sign with Arizona than the Leafs from what people say. In any other sport, they all enjoy the fame, the prestige and the idea of playing for that kind of team no matter how much pressure there is. Yankees, Cowboys, Man U., etc. Then you hear for X player that doesn't want to deal with the Toronto media... Blows my mind.

No idea how JT feels but if the Leafs offer a competitive offer, it will be considered.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hockey players have to be the only professional players that would rather sign with Arizona than the Leafs from what people say. In any other sport, they all enjoy the fame, the prestige and the idea of playing for that kind of team no matter how much pressure there is. Yankees, Cowboys, Man U., etc. Then you hear for X player that doesn't want to deal with the Toronto media... Blows my mind.

No idea how JT feels but if the Leafs offer a competitive offer, it will be considered.

Solid post. I understand the idea of great place to be when winning, not so much when losing, and don't know that one can really exist without the other. Yet it seems, for whatever reason(s), there's something about the positives that outweigh the negatives for other franchises in other sports to a greater extent.

I think a corner is being turned though with Marleau signing here and Nash's willingness to not have the Leafs as part of his no trade protection. Maybe not the same stature as a Tavares, but it's still something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad