Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
And why can't we just use Nylander as a center like he should be used?
This should be the first option. If not ,the hunt is on. Put Willy in Bozaks spot,not having to go head to head with all the top centers,while still gettig PP time. He has had success as a center. Give him some decent line-mates and he will likely continue to progress!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
And why can't we just use Nylander as a center like he should be used?

I don't think Babcock liked him at centre so even though I might have an opinion on it, his opinion matters more. It's why I stopped separating Hyman and Matthews in hypothetical line ups I make lol.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This should be the first option. If not ,the hunt is on. Put Willy in Bozaks spot,not having to go head to head with all the top centers,while still gettig PP time. He has had success as a center. Give him some decent line-mates and he will likely continue to progress!

Give him Johnsson and Kapanen. It'll be a smaller line but it'll be ridiculously fast. Essentially like the Tampa Midget line. And it'll be good in both ends. Nylander would be the worst defensively and he's not even that bad. I think that's far more imposing than that Bozak line ever was 5-on-5, even when they had Marner. Either that or get him someone like Nelson instead of Johnsson so there is a good net front presence and gritty guy with some size. Both works well IMO.

Brown can play with Kadri and Marleau. That's another great two-way line and it would be our 3rd best offensive line, but Kadri and Marleau should be able to get over 25 goals and 50 points at least (Kadri should be able to get more) and Brown should be able to get at least 20-20 while being great defensively. That's amazing for our 3rd best offensive line.

That leaves Hyman-Matthews-Marner, and that's going to be very difficult to stop.

Reactions: hector morrison

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It’s a pretty big off-season between extensions and the availability of some cap space.
If JT is a legit option, I see Nylander staying stapled to Matthews wing long term. That’s some insane flexibility. Having him as a C option buffers any injury to any of the big theee C’s. There’s plenty of flexible wingers who can move up and around the lineup.
JT is probably the big domino to tip.
I fantasize about his signing, giving Leivo and Brown a shot as his wingers.
Leaving Johnsson/Aaltonen/Kapanen with Goat/Plek/some other vet FA as an insane advantage fourth line that includes at least two guys can slide into wing roles on any of the other lines. It’s like a seamless injury protection plan. Kinda drool-worthy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm bored at work and just wanted some opinions

CAR/TOR

Jordan Staal
Brett Pesce
Marcus Kruger

for

William Nylander
Nikita Zaitsev
Matt Martin

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Staal-Brown
Grundstrom-?-?
Kruger

Rielly-Pesce
Gardiner-Dermott
Borgman-Hainsey

Self assessment: First, I don't know if it's fair value or not. I guess it depends on how you look at Jordan Staal I suppose. Other then that, I think we'd still need to grab a better 4th line centre then Kruger, not sure I want to throw my eggs in 1 basket with him, and we'd need another 4th line winger.

I think the defenseman still looks like it could use one more guy but Pesce would be one of those smaller types of additions that could go a long way.

I'd look to sign Beagle still and maybe a depth defenseman like Pateryn but largely we'd be looking to add a 2nd pairing RHD. Tanev or Pysyk would be perfect depending on the cost at that point.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm bored at work and just wanted some opinions

CAR/TOR

Jordan Staal
Brett Pesce
Marcus Kruger

for

William Nylander
Nikita Zaitsev
Matt Martin

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Staal-Brown
Grundstrom-?-?
Kruger

Rielly-Pesce
Gardiner-Dermott
Borgman-Hainsey

Self assessment: First, I don't know if it's fair value or not. I guess it depends on how you look at Jordan Staal I suppose. Other then that, I think we'd still need to grab a better 4th line centre then Kruger, not sure I want to throw my eggs in 1 basket with him, and we'd need another 4th line winger.

I think the defenseman still looks like it could use one more guy but Pesce would be one of those smaller types of additions that could go a long way.

I'd look to sign Beagle still and maybe a depth defenseman like Pateryn but largely we'd be looking to add a 2nd pairing RHD. Tanev or Pysyk would be perfect depending on the cost at that point.

I'm not keen on trading 21 year old 60 point forwards unless somebody absolutely outstanding is coming back our way (which isn't going to happen)

I don't look at the Oilers right now and think to myself let's follow that model of team building, I'd much rather chase somebody cheaper or wait until the right player is available and not force something right now

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not keen on trading 21 year old 60 point forwards unless somebody absolutely outstanding is coming back our way (which isn't going to happen)

I don't look at the Oilers right now and think to myself let's follow that model of team building, I'd much rather chase somebody cheaper or wait until the right player is available and not force something right now

Fair enough, I just was trying to be creative in adding a good 2-way centre and a top 4 RHD. Kruger also has 1 year less remaining but more salary (technically)

It's purely for discussion purposes :)

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I would be very interested in Andersson from CGY in exchange for Kapanen. They're loaded on RHD, and need right handed forwards. This could be a chance to deal need for need.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Counterpoint to self: At Nylanders current age Kadri had 20 points in 51 NHL games, and anyone predicting him to be a matchup C @ the NHL level would have been laughed out of the room. Forget giving up on him, it's way too early to type cast him into an NHL role/style

Unpopular Opinion- if the decision is made (imo prematurely) that he's not a long term fit, I think the trade that is best for the team looks nothing like the splashy deals for a stud #1, and is the kind of deal a lot of people will hate. Something like 1st+Braun+Tierney that stabilizes the D in a big way short term, brings in a gritty, high motor 40 point C with strong defence and room to grow to become a long term fan favourite, and another high pick to inject talent down the road.

Anyone questioning trading a 21 year old Nylander should revisit the trading of a 21 year old Tyler Seguin.
When Seguin was traded he had scored 56 goals, 121 points in 203 games, Nylander has scored 48 goals, 135 points in 185 games.
Ask any Bruin fan if they think that was a good trade and they would tell you it may be the worst one ever made by the Bruins.
You shouldn't trade a cost controlled 21 year old potential star who is still finding his way in the League.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would be very interested in Andersson from CGY in exchange for Kapanen. They're loaded on RHD, and need right handed forwards. This could be a chance to deal need for need.

I like it. Sign willy first.

My bets.

1.) Tanev
2.) dehaan
3.) Calgary D
4.) Carolina

Calgary wants changes. Carolina is a total wildcard

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Anyone questioning trading a 21 year old Nylander should revisit the trading of a 21 year old Tyler Seguin.
When Seguin was traded he had scored 56 goals, 121 points in 203 games, Nylander has scored 48 goals, 135 points in 185 games.
Ask any Bruin fan if they think that was a good trade and they would tell you it may be the worst one ever made by the Bruins.
You shouldn't trade a cost controlled 21 year old potential star who is still finding his way in the League.

“Those who don’t need learn from history are doomed to repeat it”

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes it was a bad trade, had they gotten a better return it would have been a good trade. Fans hate bad trades, love good trades.
I won't speak for everyone but if Nylander were to be traded for a good return the fans would be ok with it, if he were to be traded for a bad return the fans wouldn't.

This seems rather obvious or at least it should.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

It's also dependent on who you get back too.

Boston felt they couldn't deal with Seguin anymore, so they got 3 prospects and a decent forward in Loui Erikson at the time. None of the prospects were in the same breath as Seguin.

If you're trading Nylander, you need to get the equivalent on the back end or you don't make the trade. The names that they should be considering are guys that would be in Nylander's draft year or guys that are a year earlier/later than that. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. But if you could get a guy like Provorov or Werenski (2015 draft year) or Rasmus Ristolainen/Seth Jones who are all cost controlled now, would you make that trade?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Because his compete when he doesn't have the puck is not where it should be still.

Why would his board play matter much as a center? He's at his best low in the offensive zone intercepting plays and forcing turnovers. Same with the defensive zone, he'll look like he's disengaged and floating, but the puck comes out of the board battle right to where he is most of the time.

He's already a strong possession player, but playing C would tap into his strengths much more and limit exposure to his weaknesses. Give him physical wingers (or hybrid guys like Kapanen/Johnsson) and watch him regularly put up 55%+ possession metrics against 2nd/3rd lines.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why would his board play matter much as a center? He's at his best low in the offensive zone intercepting plays and forcing turnovers. Same with the defensive zone, he'll look like he's disengaged and floating, but the puck comes out of the board battle right to where he is most of the time.

He's already a strong possession player, but playing C would tap into his strengths much more and limit exposure to his weaknesses. Give him physical wingers (or hybrid guys like Kapanen/Johnsson) and watch him regularly put up 55%+ possession metrics against 2nd/3rd lines.

It's not just his board play that I was talking about.

It's the play in the defensive zone.

Last night was a perfect example of where he should be. He was actually tracking back to compete in the defensive zone. If you could get that for 80% of the games, I would be okay with him transitioning to centre. But at the moment, he's only at 50% (during the regular season).

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
saw something on the main boards about Voynov wanting to come back to the NHL. Should we have interest despite the character issues? Top 4 RHD with some offensive ability (and might have really found his offensive game in the KHL), probably available for a very reasonable commitment in term and money, still in his prime having just turned 28. Or do we think this is like the NFL where this type of offense has a high probability of repeating itself?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Priorities:

1) Tavares. if not;
2) Athanasiou, Statsny or trade for Center (RNH, Jordan Staal)
3) Acquire top 4 dman (doesnt need to be a top 2) but someone that moves Zaitsev down to bottom pair with Dermott.
4) 4th line center (Ryan, Nash, Letestu)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Priorities:

1) Tavares. if not;
2) Athanasiou, Statsny or trade for Center (RNH, Jordan Staal)
3) Acquire top 4 dman (doesnt need to be a top 2) but someone that moves Zaitsev down to bottom pair with Dermott.
4) 4th line center (Ryan, Nash, Letestu)

Hainsey should probably get moved down before Zaitsev.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I would overpay for a guy in the top 4 that could handle the minutes that are required for a long season.

Going forward, if the Leafs want to be in the spot they're in, they can't rely on Hainsey playing the minutes that he is. It is beyond noticeable that he isn't 100%. He's done an amazing job throughout the season for everything that he's been asked to do, but I believe sitting in a 3rd pairing role and still playing the PK would suit him a lot better.

If that's the case, I would pay the extra money in free agency and get Carlson because we know that he's capable and he's at the age where you could play him 24+ a night.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad