Frederik Andersen is a top 10 goalie in the NHL

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
No, OP, the narrative on Andersen hasn't been that he can't handle a starter's workload. The "narrative" - which is about as old as his NHL career and has been hard to miss out on, especially for fans of a franchise who's majority had for quite some time downplayed his caliber before acquiring him - has been that he has game-breaking ability, but has not been able to play to that level with the consistency to warrant being considered a definite top-10 goalie or better. The first couple months of this season have emboldened that "narrative", not made it vanish.

Reactions: Scorcho

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Because there are about 10-12 goalies better than him in the NHL? Off the top of my head, I'd say Rask, Crawford, Bobrovsky, Talbot, Dubnyk, Price, Schneider, Lundqvist, Murray, Holtby, Quick and Fleury are better than Andersen. That puts him at around 13, which I think most people would say is fair for Andersen.

Saying Andersen is average isn't an insult, he's a good starting goalie and he's definitely someone you can win with. Would it be better if I said above average? Because I have him in the 10-15 range, I think him and Fleury are very comparable.

Yes it would be better if you said he's an above average goalie.

He's a top 15 goalie easily.

I don't care if he's top 10 or top 5, but I know he's in the top 15 and can depend on that when that's all the Leafs need.

Someone (op) is just looking for some love I guess.

The people who shat on him don't get it.

I've been watching the Leafs a long time and Andersen is solid, that's it. Even when he's bad it doesn't look bad like Toskala, Bernier, Reimer. Dude is big and chill as f*** when he's dialed in and that is solid goaltending. The stuff going in on him in October were all perfect roofers and deflections.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Oh how bi polar is Toronto. In the start of the year he was the reason they were losing now hes the saviour.
LOL; that was my first thought after reading the title of this thread.

Weren't there all sorts of "trade proposals" to correct the situation in net for Toronto?

(I am not insinuating the op was one of these people.)

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Lol, starting a thread like this, you better hope he remains solid because as soon as he starts slipping, you know you're going to get absolutely pounced on!

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Probably in the 12-15 range.

Any goaltender in the league (or even the AHL) can steal games - it is consistency that makes a goaltender great instead of good.

Reactions: Vipers31

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
15-16: .919 SV%
16-17: .918 SV%
17-18: .922 SV%

Seems pretty consistent.
He doesnt even have 250+ games played and his career save percentage is below .920

By consistency I meant consistency of greatness. Andersen is pretty damn consistent but as an above average goaltender. A top 10 goaltender averages above a .920 in most, if not all, of there seasons. Andersen hasnt done that once yet as a starter.

Hell, even some sub par goaltenders have had > .920 seasons.

Edit: Andersen’s only .920+ season was his first with the Ducks in 13-14, with 28 games played. Hasnt broken it since.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
He doesnt even have 250+ games played and his career save percentage is below .920

By consistency I meant consistency of greatness. Andersen is pretty damn consistent but as an above average goaltender. A top 10 goaltender averages above a .920 in most, if not all, of there seasons. Andersen hasnt done that once yet as a starter.

Hell, even some sub par goaltenders have had > .920 seasons.

Edit: Andersen’s only .920+ season was his first with the Ducks in 13-14, with 28 games played. Hasnt broken it since.

Andersen is 2nd all-time next to Ken Dryden for Win% among goaltenders with >200GP... How more consistent do you want?

Reactions: DashingDane

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Toronto is going to burn him out before the playoffs. He has played the most minutes of any goalie in the league and has faced the most shots in the league.

He has played very well after his usual slow start to the season. However he needs to play less if the Leafs hope of going anywhere in the playoffs.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
- Polaris1010

- Thewave

- Zeke

As you can see, I'm not BSing you, there's 3 example of leaf fans calling him the worst ever + countless calling him average.

Suddenly he's top 5-10? what?

You act like I have an agenda, I'm just telling you what I've seen posted on these forums, and there's countless more messages of people crapping on andersen.

These are ALL leaf fans, you're welcome to check yourself, @ViewsFromThe6ix

Right, and he was the worst goalie in the league at that point

From what you quoted hardly anyone mentioned his play overall as being the worst in the NHL, the ones who did were trolling, like they usually do whenever the Leafs go on a losing streak (I.e is Babcock different than Carlyle, etc)

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hes right in that 10-20 range...the top 10 to 20 goalies in the nhl are all about the same, very good, rock solid goalies, whom arent elite, but are good enough to win with

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Because there are about 10-12 goalies better than him in the NHL? Off the top of my head, I'd say Rask, Crawford, Bobrovsky, Talbot, Dubnyk, Price, Schneider, Lundqvist, Murray, Holtby, Quick and Fleury are better than Andersen. That puts him at around 13, which I think most people would say is fair for Andersen.

Saying Andersen is average isn't an insult, he's a good starting goalie and he's definitely someone you can win with. Would it be better if I said above average? Because I have him in the 10-15 range, I think him and Fleury are very comparable.

I’d say your wrong, out of those you listed you can make a case he’s better or on par with Lundqvist, Talbot, Rask and Fleury. I’m also not sold how good Dubnyk would be playing outside Minny.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Not that it matters but I disagree with the bolded.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
- Polaris1010

- Thewave

- Zeke

As you can see, I'm not BSing you, there's 3 example of leaf fans calling him the worst ever + countless calling him average.

Suddenly he's top 5-10? what?

You act like I have an agenda, I'm just telling you what I've seen posted on these forums, and there's countless more messages of people crapping on andersen.

These are ALL leaf fans, you're welcome to check yourself, @ViewsFromThe6ix
Not sure why I'm involved here, my quote called him ABOVE average and our BEST goalie since Belfour. All I said is he isn't the best in the league, which is true. I LOVE Freddie, and do agree all the bashing he took was nonsensical, most of it agenda posting.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Canucks have 3 goalies better than him. That easily bumps him to 13
I assure you, if there is one team Leafs fans aren't jealous of its your scrape heap team, please make the playoffs or finish 9th, enjoy your life of mediocrity :) Cant even rebuild properly, lol.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Based on what, though? They're both workhorse starters that usually end up between .916 and .920 in save%. Yeah, Fleury had a bad year last year, but he put up a .921 save% in 2015-2016, a .920 save% in 2014-2015 and has a .925 save% in a ridiculously small sample size this year.
I believe the OP is saying top 10 right now....not all time. What Fleury did 2 years ago means squadoosh.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Ya im not saying hes a bad goalie just funny how fast the narritive changed lol. Thats big markets for ya

I'm not sure anything changed. He was bad in Oct and any sane leaf fan knew Nov would be different.

Also what do you mean losing in Oct? Our GA was bad, but we were still winning more games than losing and were at the top of the league.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's been putting up Vezina worthy numbers over the last month. He put up waiver worthy numbers in October.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Bishop, Quick, Holtby, Price, Rinne, Bobrovsky, Murray, Schneider and Crawford are better IMO.

Then there is Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Talbot, Gibson, Anderson, Jones, Allen, Rask, Luongo, Varlamov, Smith... You can throw Andersen with them, which puts him in 10-20 range.

Reactions: stampedingviking

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He's 10th among active goalies with 200+ games for career save % (
Active NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Save Percentage Leaders)

Goalies with <200 games that I would consider comparable or better include Murray, Jones, Vasilevski, Gibson, etc.

So he's probably just outside the top 10 I'd argue. Though I also think most goalies in the ~8th-15th range are pretty comparable, and in any given year some of those will jump/fall.

Reactions: Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad