Frederik Andersen is a top 10 goalie in the NHL

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
So what you're saying is, hypothetically, going forward, he puts up near league best numbers for several years in a row (none of which have actually happened yet), he should be considered one of the leagues best?

Can't this be said about every player in the league? In every sport?

If Zdeno Chara pitches with a sub 1.50 ERA for the next 10 years, he should be considered a top 10 pitcher. So lets talk about it now!

I never said I considered him to be one of the league's best. At the same time, when he is playing like he is now, he is one of the best. He needs to do it more consistently but at least his top end capability is right there with the top goalies.
His career has been good thus far...216 games played with a record of 126-50-27 .918 sv 2.48 gaa.
I have watched him closely since he has become a Leaf and it seems like after October he really locks in. We will see if he can continue to develop but he certainly seems to have both the size and talent to be an elite goalie.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
He is certainly getting there.
If he can keep up his .923 + save percentage for the next few years he will easily be a top ten goalie.
Or maybe he should put up > .920 for almost every season he plays - like top-end goaltenders to.

Schneider only has one season under .920 in the NHL as a starter, for example.

Reactions: Scorcho

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Yes, I think he is a top 10 goalie in the league. IMO he was probably the biggest reason the Leafs were a playoff team last season (along with Matthews). Considering he sees the most shots in the league and has a unimpressive defensive team in front of him I think he gets underrated quite a bit.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Reaching a top 10 status in goaltending all about consistency, and that's mostly a mental thing which is why it's hard to put that on a young goalie. He hasn't been consistently good during his early career, A disappointment in Anaheim behind some pretty good teams, then an average debut season last year in Toronto. So far yeah Andersen is #10 in save % so I guess he is top 10 through a small sample of 20 games for what that's worth but it's a bit early to call him a top 10 in the league. Could take him years of play like this (I'd like to see 3 seasons in a row above .920) to get that kind of consideration but he sure could get there.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Reaching a top 10 status in goaltending all about consistency, and that's mostly a mental thing which is why it's hard to put that on a young goalie. He hasn't been consistently good during his early career, A disappointment in Anaheim behind some pretty good teams, then an average debut season last year in Toronto. So far yeah Andersen is #10 in save % so I guess he is top 10 through a small sample of 20 games for what that's worth but it's a bit early to call him a top 10 in the league. Could take him years of play like this (I'd like to see 3 seasons in a row above .920) to get that kind of consideration but he sure could get there.

Where have you heard he was a disaapointment in Anaheim?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Toronto is going to burn him out before the playoffs. He has played the most minutes of any goalie in the league and has faced the most shots in the league.

He has played very well after his usual slow start to the season. However he needs to play less if the Leafs hope of going anywhere in the playoffs.

He played 66 last year and didn't burn out. He'll start playing less as the season goes on, we have alot more btbs coming up and we now have two capable goalies in the minors that can step in as well.

He doesnt even have 250+ games played and his career save percentage is below .920

By consistency I meant consistency of greatness. Andersen is pretty damn consistent but as an above average goaltender. A top 10 goaltender averages above a .920 in most, if not all, of there seasons. Andersen hasnt done that once yet as a starter.

Hell, even some sub par goaltenders have had > .920 seasons.

Edit: Andersen’s only .920+ season was his first with the Ducks in 13-14, with 28 games played. Hasnt broken it since.

Since Andersen entered the NHL in 2013-2014 only 6 goalies have a 0.920 SV% (min 100 games played).

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I've always said he's elite. The Leafs are an elite team and the goalie is part of that. We are one about five serious contenders this year.

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
Or maybe he should put up > .920 for almost every season he plays - like top-end goaltenders to.

Carey Price has had 6 out of 10 completed seasons with a >= .920 save percentage...though his last 4 in a row have been over .920. Hopefully Andersen can do that too.
Price was about 300 games into his career when he started his elite run. Andersen is around 216 games right now.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Not sold on him to play at this level for the whole season and still not sold that he is somewhat a top 10 goalie. He at timely is the team killer and you can't say a guy who averages 4 GAA for a month is anything but mediocre. Meh everyone has their own opinion and quoting people from old threads is just stupid, when he is out of for people may quote you the same.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Lol. The Leafs fans that were saying he's shit are fools, I was one of the many defending him, saying he is indeed our #1. However, the flipping of the narrative by Buffalo fans is great, on this site and all the others they were proclaiming Lehner a top tier goalie, and now want to pretend that never happened.

What I've been saying: He's a top 12 goalie in the league on any given night.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
When he is on his game he is easily a top 10 goalie, but I would like more consistency out of him.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
umm

early in the season many leaf fans were calling him the worst goalie ever.

this is why you don't jump the gun.

Do you remember James Reimer?

Well here's the thing. He has a cult following in Toronto. So when Andy doesn't stand on his head, they come out of the shadows and start calling him the worst goalie on the planet.

Then when he goes back to normal beastmode Andy, they crawl back under whichever rock they emerged from.

Then we start the same shit next October.

I'm not even making this up. They still cry about Reimer to this f***ing day

Reactions: SaltNPeca

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Carey Price has had 6 out of 10 completed seasons with a >= .920 save percentage...though his last 4 in a row have been over .920. Hopefully Andersen can do that too.
Price was about 300 games into his career when he started his elite run. Andersen is around 216 games right now.
Very fair, but we cant crown him a top 10 goaltender yet if he hasnt put up top 10 numbers in a full season yet.

He very well could become one or better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Top-10 starters this year + last year

SV%

1.Bobrovsky .931
2.Quick .925
3.Holtby .924
4.Gibson .923
5.Vasilevsky .922
6.Crawford .922
7.Dubnyk .921
8.Rinne .920
9.Raanta .920
10.Andersen .919
11.Howard .919
12.Price .919
13.Luongo .918
14.Murray .918
15.Lehner .917

dSV%

1.Bobrovsky +2.32
2.Quick +1.95
3.Gibson +1.58
4.Crawford +1.03
5.Murray +1.00
6.Andersen +0.96
7.Holtby +0.91
8.Talbot +0.87
9.Fleury +0.86
10.Miller +0.77

He's getting there, but still has proving to do.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I just find it amusing how many leafs fans wrote him off at the start of the year, even though he played better than his stats indicated and with his history of being a slow starter.

Amusing, and tragic at the same time.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Yeah those .918 and .919 seasons are crippling, if only he had made a couple more saves he would be elite like Schneider. I hope you don't take yourself seriously because that statement is a laugher.

Until Freddy gets his October issues sorted out I am not comfortable calling him elite but generally he gives us a chance to win every night and he steals games. I don't need HF posters to tell me we have a good goalie.

Some of the lists of guys who are "definitely better" are questionable at best. Talbot? One great year as a starter, one solid one, let's hold off on that one. Fleury? Seriously? He's one of those goalies every year you wonder which will show up, the good or the bad.

There are a handful of goalies who are money every year at the top and then a big group that are solid but human and then the bottom guys who are just pure out gambles.

Freddy is in that second group right now but he does appear to have the tools to join the first if he can develop greater consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad