Frederik Andersen is a top 10 goalie in the NHL

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He's a historically slow starter. .896 SV% in October this year, and an .876 SV% in October last year.
Besides these past 2 years, hes actually been a great starter so I wouldnt call him a historically slow starter...

Andersen has shown to go through really good stretches, but also really poor ones (Check out his SV% through each month last year). Currently hes in a good stretch.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wish this thread wasn't created but i'll say he's above average, he sees a lot of crap in front of him. The most shots against this year.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Because there are about 10-12 goalies better than him in the NHL? Off the top of my head, I'd say Rask, Crawford, Bobrovsky, Talbot, Dubnyk, Price, Schneider, Lundqvist, Murray, Holtby, Quick and Fleury are better than Andersen. That puts him at around 13, which I think most people would say is fair for Andersen.

Saying Andersen is average isn't an insult, he's a good starting goalie and he's definitely someone you can win with. Would it be better if I said above average? Because I have him in the 10-15 range, I think him and Fleury are very comparable.
Andersen bus above Lundqvist, Quick, Rask and Fleury IMO. But to each their own.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He's a borderline top ten goalie, but you can't take out the bad and only highlight the good.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I have a really tough time imagining how you'd argue that Andersen is better than Crawford, Talbot or Lundqvist, and I think Fleury and Andersen are very comparable.

Fleury, Andersen, Luongo, Jones...I think you can put all of these guys in any order in the 10-15 range and have it be correct.

I get the argument for Crawford, so I won't say you're wrong on him. Talbot has struggled noticeably this season. Lundqvist isn't the same game-breaker consistently that he was earlier in his career. And Andersen is better than Fleury.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
hes definitely a massive reason why the leafs are where they are. the amount of quality scoring chances he faces and stops is impressive.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Correction the starting goalie issue is solved the fact remains if he goes down this team is VERY VERY ****ed because the backup situation isn't good enough
What???? Our backup is incredible.
We have 2 nhl quality backups in the AHL. Absolutely dominating the AHL. On top of that we have mcbackup who's an NHL average backup as well.
I'd go so far to say our goaltending depth is a strong point.

I don't agree with Mcbackup starting over Pickard, but the depth is incredible.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Andersen bus above Lundqvist, Quick, Rask and Fleury IMO. But to each their own.

I'm not all that high on Quick, but I disagree on Lundqvist and Rask and I think you can debate Fleury against Andersen. Rask is a Vezina caliber goalie on a bad defensive team and Lundqvist is still a great goalie, even though he's not elite anymore. I would definitely not be comfortable saying Andersen is better than Lundqvist.

I get the argument for Crawford, so I won't say you're wrong on him. Talbot has struggled noticeably this season. Lundqvist isn't the same game-breaker consistently that he was earlier in his career. And Andersen is better than Fleury.

Fleury and Andersen have been about statistically the same for the last couple of years. Fleury on average is usually a .916-.918 save% goalie while being able to play in a ton of games over a full season, which is pretty in line with what Andersen is.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I have a really tough time imagining how you'd argue that Andersen is better than Crawford, Talbot or Lundqvist, and I think Fleury and Andersen are very comparable.

Fleury, Andersen, Luongo, Jones, Rinne...I think you can put all of these guys in any order in the 10-15 range and have it be correct.
I can not get even close to agreeing with you on Andersen and Fluery being comparable. I can understand people not thinking he is top 10 because honestly outside of the top 5 or so the next group is really jumbled up and can be subjective....But Andersen is better then Fluery.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What???? Our backup is incredible.
We have 2 nhl quality backups in the AHL. Absolutely dominating the AHL. On top of that we have mcbackup who's an NHL average backup as well.
I'd go so far to say our goaltending depth is a strong point.

I don't agree with Mcbackup starting over Pickard, but the depth is incredible.

Mcbackup has a 900 save% that's not even his career average let alone NHL average

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can not get even close to agreeing with you on Andersen and Fluery being comparable. I can understand people not thinking he is top 10 because honestly outside of the top 5 or so the next group is really jumbled up and can be subjective....But Andersen is better then Fluery.

Based on what, though? They're both workhorse starters that usually end up between .916 and .920 in save%. Yeah, Fleury had a bad year last year, but he put up a .921 save% in 2015-2016, a .920 save% in 2014-2015 and has a .925 save% in a ridiculously small sample size this year.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I'm not all that high on Quick, but I disagree on Lundqvist and Rask and I think you can debate Fleury against Andersen. Rask is a Vezina caliber goalie on a bad defensive team and Lundqvist is still a great goalie, even though he's not elite anymore. I would definitely not be comfortable saying Andersen is better than Lundqvist.

Fleury and Andersen have been about statistically the same for the last couple of years. Fleury on average is usually a .916-.918 save% goalie while being able to play in a ton of games over a full season, which is pretty in line with what Andersen is.

Sure, but systems also come into play here as well. IIRC Pitt had one of the best defences in terms of scoring chances and shots in the NHL last season

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sure, but systems also come into play here as well. IIRC Pitt had one of the best defences in terms of scoring chances and shots in the NHL last season

That's not true, they bled scoring chances against last year. They were really good under Johnston, which is why you saw Fleury have like a .925 save% in his career with Mike Johnston as the coach, but they've been below average in terms of HDCA since Sullivan became coach. Which doesn't really matter, because they outscore any defensive issues they have.

That's why what Murray did last year was so impressive. Fleury didn't have a great season last year, but you can't reasonably expect him to have done much better. Murray was legitimately great on a team that gave up a ton of scoring chances.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What are you talking about. We have 3 legit back up goalies.

Mctrash is not an NHL caliber backup he i a guy that had a career year last year and has since reverted back to what he was before last year which was, by NHL standards Garbage

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Hard to pick my favorite leafs player because they are all the best at everything in life. I'll go with carrick he's good enough for every other team in trade proposals so he must be the best.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Based on what, though? They're both workhorse starters that usually end up between .916 and .920 in save%. Yeah, Fleury had a bad year last year, but he put up a .921 save% in 2015-2016, a .920 save% in 2014-2015 and has a .925 save% in a ridiculously small sample size this year.
You have to also look at the teams. Andersen outperformed Fluery last year easily on a far far worse defensive team. Yes Fluery from a couple years ago is a better goalie....but it isn't a couple years ago. I just don't think there is anyway that in the scenario that the Leafs replace Andersen with Fluery that things turn out as good.

Gandalf The Habs Fan

Oct 29, 2012
Québec
Price, Holtby, Dubnyk, Lundqvist, Fleury, Murray, Vasilevsky, Crawford, Rinne, Quick, Brobrovsky, Schneider, Rask and I must miss some so no...he is not a top 10!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Mctrash is not an NHL caliber backup he i a guy that had a career year last year and has since reverted back to what he was before last year which was, by NHL standards Garbage

So you are only looking at this year? Sample size is too small.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad