Frederik Andersen is a top 10 goalie in the NHL

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I know this is silly to do but if you remove October from Andersen's two years as a Leaf these are his stats:

2016: 31-14-11, 0.922 SV%, 4 shutouts
2016 Playoffs: 2-4-0, 0.915 SV%
2017: 10-3-1 , 0.942 SV%, 2 shutouts
Total: 43-21-2, 0.925 SV%, 6 shutouts
October counts though

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Elite goalie
Elite forwards
Elite defenseman
Elite coach
Elite GM
Elite prospects

Still suck

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Bishop, Quick, Holtby, Price, Rinne, Bobrovsky, Murray, Schneider and Crawford are better IMO.

Then there is Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Talbot, Gibson, Anderson, Jones, Allen, Rask, Luongo, Varlamov, Smith... You can throw Andersen with them, which puts him in 10-20 range.
Good grouping, I'd have mike smith in the top tier or at the top of the second tier. He's really good now that he plays in Canada

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
This is such a bad thread, the entire argument is so off.

If your argument is his November record then someone can easily just post his October record to argue why he's one of the worst.

Bottom line, don't use a small sample size to base your argument, there are much better ways to go about it.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
This is such a bad thread, the entire argument is so off.

If your argument is his November record then someone can easily just post his October record to argue why he's one of the worst.

Bottom line, don't use a small sample size to base your argument, there are much better ways to go about it.

I really don't like removing October for this argument, either. But since he's been a Leaf, Andersen has been overall fantastic. Plus he passes the eye test with flying colours. Top 10 might still be arguable. But I would make the case that he is in that top 10.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

I think at this point i'd take Andersen tbh. Rask nowdays is pretty much the definition of average NHL starter. Back to back 91.5% seasons before this year and every year he seems to have couple stretches where he's flat out terrible and it takes some time for him to bounce back.

I like how Andersen has developed especially mentally the last couple years and i think he's better.

There was also a couple names that are debatable for sure. I think there's a legit case for Freddy to squeeze in to the top 10, even if it's "just" #10.

But with goalies it's a matter of preference i guess.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I really don't like removing October for this argument, either. But since he's been a Leaf, Andersen has been overall fantastic. Plus he passes the eye test with flying colours. Top 10 might still be arguable. But I would make the case that he is in that top 10.

For Sure, he's probably up there and there are probably arguments to be made. OP did a horrible job at it though and is just setting himself and other leafs fans up for hate.

Reactions: iSophagus

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He is pretty good. I've long said that Toronto's going to need another goalie if they want to become a true Stanley Cup contender. Watching Andersen's game last night I think he could be good enough to get Toronto to the Cup final.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
He's able to steal games and is better than anything we've had in a long time. Top 10? Not sure. But I'm happy with what we have.

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
He is certainly getting there.
If he can keep up his .923 + save percentage for the next few years he will easily be a top ten goalie.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Maybe he should put up a full season's stats at .920+ before you crown him a legit top-10 goalie

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
If I had to put a number on him I would say he somewhere in the 10-15 range making him league average to above average. He's a really solid goalie and that's all that matters

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He is certainly getting there.
If he can keep up his .923 + save percentage for the next few years he will easily be a top ten goalie.
So what you're saying is, hypothetically, going forward, he puts up near league best numbers for several years in a row (none of which have actually happened yet), he should be considered one of the leagues best?

Can't this be said about every player in the league? In every sport?

If Zdeno Chara pitches with a sub 1.50 ERA for the next 10 years, he should be considered a top 10 pitcher. So lets talk about it now!

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
Looking at career numbers, it looks like it took Carey Price about 300 games before he really established himself as an elite goalie in the league. To me it looks like it was 2013-2014 where Price's numbers became consistently elite. Andersen has 216 games under his belt and his career compares very favorably to Price's early career.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Why other Leaf fans? What'd they have to do with his post?

Okay so you're telling me that people aren't calling out Leafs fans in this thread as a whole? This always happens whenever leafs fans make bold statements, people hate on the fanbase as a whole. In my post i didn't say anything about my personal opinion of leafs fans, but i've been on this forum enough to acknowlegde that threads like this make some people hate on leafs fans, wouldn't you agree?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad