Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Mike Matheson signs extension (8 years, $4.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They're making a max term commitment to a player in no position to ask for a max term commitment.

What a terrible thing to have atleast 23y top4D with elite skating locked up for 9 more years at u5M, terrible thing in a Cap World.

These threads show how many just post in these threads without knowing anything about the team or the player.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
8 years is too much risk not enough reward.

Why not let him play this season and see what you get? Unless he put up 50pts it's not going to push him far above $5m. I would rather know what I have and then pay him $6m or so than take this unnecessary risk.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
They're making a max term commitment to a player in no position to ask for a max term commitment.
I see what's not to like there, but if it plays out into brilliance we will all be smirking.

edit: also, matheson is gonna be great. Would trade steen for him and a pick. Florida knows better. Would trade steen for him straight up.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brutal contract.

I came to this thread to say that as I just saw that on Cap Friendly...

I mean, Matheson is already a decent player with good potential but he has played 86 NHL games and a whooping 17 points. He is just 23 y/o and a cost controlled asset for a few more years.

4.875 for 8 years? Is this a joke? It is even worse than Jack Eichel.

You have like 4 RFA years and 4 UFA years... Do they think he will be a top-20 D-man in a few years or what?

I can't imagine how much Werenski is going to sign for, or every decent player for that matter. Going straight to another lockout.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I came to this thread to say that as I just saw that on Cap Friendly...

I mean, Matheson is already a decent player with good potential but he has played 86 NHL games and a whooping 17 points. He is just 23 y/o and a cost controlled asset for a few more years.

4.875 for 8 years? Is this a joke? It is even worse than Jack Eichel.

You have like 4 RFA years and 4 UFA years... Do they think he will be a top-20 D-man in a few years or what?

I can't imagine how much Werenski is going to sign for, or every decent player for that matter. Going straight to another lockout.

Since when is that the expected price for top20 D-men in few years?

Why would you want to sign him for less years and give him a much bigger contract in few years when you have to work on new contracts for Barkov/Trocheck as well?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Since when is that the expected price for top20 D-men in few years?

Why would you want to sign him for less years and give him a much bigger contract in few years when you have to work on new contracts for Barkov/Trocheck as well?

I said Top-20 but it was just an arbitrary number, really not the important part of my post.

So ok then, he has to be worth over 6.5 per in his 4 first UFA years to make this deal worthy.

My opinion : real risky for nothing, to save basically nothing. Unless they really think he'll be as good as Subban (for example)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The guy has one half decent season in the league and he gets 8 years? Not sure why they were in such a rush to sign him long term. I don't see this guy ever being worth more than 5M, so the risk of him not living up to the contract is there. Strange move IMO.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Look, Matheson is really good and probably gonna become a 40+pt dman who plays good defense, but 8 years is just too damn much for a guy on his second season in the NHL. So many things can go wrong especially for a young dman. Good luck with that one, gonna need it.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
should have accepted 5 million instead, not a big difference but its an odd cap hit

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I said Top-20 but it was just an arbitrary number, really not the important part of my post.

So ok then, he has to be worth over 6.5 per in his 4 first UFA years to make this deal worthy.

My opinion : real risky for nothing, to save basically nothing. Unless they really think he'll be as good as Subban (for example)

I really don't this kind of thinking.

He'll have a 4.8M cap hit during his UFA/prime years which will be a damm steal and already fair/good value from the start of this contract.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Look, Matheson is really good and probably gonna become a 40+pt dman who plays good defense, but 8 years is just too damn much for a guy on his second season in the NHL. So many things can go wrong especially for a young dman. Good luck with that one, gonna need it.

What indication has he given for that?

I mean, Matheson is a fine enough defenseman. I see him as a #4 type guy for a long time. So essentially, the Panthers have paid market value at max term for essentially no reason.

Open market #4 guys are in the 4-5 million range. So why pay now, at max term, when you don't even really know what he'll turn out to be? They just absorb all the risk, but with no reward of having a big future discount.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
So many people keep calling this guy a defensive defenseman.

Funny enough, if you watch him play he is probably the most creative defenseman we have in the offensive zone because of his skating.

It's not his fault the staff is in love with giving Ekblad and Yandle the pp time. He only averages 30 seconds and thats the tail end of any power play.

If they gave this kid pp time, trust me, his points would significantly increase.

He is no defensive defenseman.

Reactions: Dabeast

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
8 years is too much risk not enough reward.

Why not let him play this season and see what you get? Unless he put up 50pts it's not going to push him far above $5m. I would rather know what I have and then pay him $6m or so than take this unnecessary risk.

Exactly. There's no upside. He's not much of a threat to become a 6m+ player, so why lock him up for 8 years, when you can sign him for 4, and give him 4 more if it's working out when the time comes?

Reactions: Breakdowns

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
honestly I barely know who this guy is... but doesn't change my opinion

contracts like this are the reason the next cba will cancel another season

stupid stupid stupid stupid

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
What indication has he given for that?

I mean, Matheson is a fine enough defenseman. I see him as a #4 type guy for a long time. So essentially, the Panthers have paid market value at max term for essentially no reason.

Open market #4 guys are in the 4-5 million range. So why pay now, at max term, when you don't even really know what he'll turn out to be? They just absorb all the risk, but with no reward of having a big future discount.

He's already a 3-4 with 2 potential

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Weird deal. Basically just entirely bypasses the UFA thing for Matheson. So i can sort of understand why they're paying him almost a million over what all the comps seem to be getting, in that ~$4M ballpark (on more established track records as well). As long as he continues to progress, it won't be a bad deal. But it's a weird, unconventional gamble to make. 6-year ~$4M would've been more expected if they wanted to lock him up and gamble on term with expected progression. With 8 years and more cap accordingly...it's a huge risk to take on, and an overpay for probably the first year or two...in the hope that it's a "steal" in those 7th and 8th years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad