Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Mike Matheson signs extension (8 years, $4.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well thats surprising..

Good for him I guess. Hope Florida knows what they are doing.

But if they are certain about the guy, it might turn out great for them. So atleast they have the balls to risk it...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
that wouldn't be great for michael. he'd be 32 when that contract would be up. no way he'd get a long term deal after that

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Interesting.

I hold Matheson in high regard, but eight years is still quite the commitment.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I thought highly of Matheson, but I didn't think he was quite there to command that kind of figure and term, seems a little premature. Florida fans like this deal? (if it does come to pass)

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Brutal contract.

Locking up a top4 D-man through his prime u5M is not brutal, it's what you want, and Matheson has top2 D-potential.

These numbers for D'men are going to look very different in 5-6 years.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
But in the meantime you're drastically overpaying for the first 4 years of the contract. He's not worth that money. Especially for 17 points a season. Who knows what he will be... You say he has top 2 d potential. What happens if he regresses? Just a brutal contract man.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
But in the meantime you're drastically overpaying for the first 4 years of the contract. He's not worth that money. Especially for 17 points a season. Who knows what he will be... You say he has top 2 d potential. What happens if he regresses? Just a brutal contract man.
I fail to see how locking up a young top 4 Dman for under 5 mil a year for 8 years is brutal...more like a steal.

Reactions: PBPantherfan

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
I think a good comparison for him should be Nikita Zaitsev. They are both about the same age coming off one full year only difference being Zaitsev would've been an UFA and Matheson would be a RFA, the reported AAV seems a little high for Matheson given the term and Florida taxes.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I think a good comparison for him should be Nikita Zaitsev. They are both about the same age coming off one full year only difference being Zaitsev would've been an UFA and Matheson would be a RFA, the reported AAV seems a little high for Matheson given the term and Florida taxes.
Also don't forget, Zaitsev played pro hockey in the KHL, and had about double the points.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
You do know he had the highest 5V5 TOI per game for Florida last season? He is a damn good player already and im a NYR fan so im not biased towards Florida. Do you even watch Florida and Matheson play? He was fantastic in WC for Canada. Decent top 4 defensemen get 4-5 million. He is already a very good top 4 after one season and has alot of potential aswell. If he keeps developing its a steal, if he turns out to be "just" a top 4 d it will be a very good deal 3-4 years from now with a cap going up etc. Toronto just gave Zaitsev a longterm deal at 4,5 and Matheson is already better than Zaitsev.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
That would be deft move for the Panthers. Even if his upside isn't that high, 4 mill is OK for a player like him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Zaitsev had seven season in the KHL before coming to NA. There must be better comparables imo.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Florida: We have to cut money to get below our internal cap of $65 million
Also Florida: Let's hand out 8 year contracts at $5 million a year to a guy with 17 points in 85 career games.

Is Dumo not worth his contract? Only 17 points last year too. More to it than Points. Matheson is a good young top 4 Dman. His offense will come, dude can skate very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->