Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Mike Matheson signs extension (8 years, $4.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Florida: We have to cut money to get below our internal cap of $65 million
Also Florida: Let's hand out 8 year contracts at $5 million a year to a guy with 17 points in 85 career games.

The Panthers are at about $69-million spent this year including Demers signing bonus on July 1. Safe to say the hard 65 million cap wasn't completely real, likely more the team just trying to shed contracts Tallon didn't like, IE Smith and Demers

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/panthers

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Zaitsev had seven season in the KHL before coming to NA. There must be better comparables imo.
It doesn't matter, comparables are based on time in the NHL not KHL or college or the AHL, i just think that you can drive down a player's AAV when living in a competitive tax environment like Florida, kinda like what the TBL are doing with their roster

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
But in the meantime you're drastically overpaying for the first 4 years of the contract. He's not worth that money. Especially for 17 points a season. Who knows what he will be... You say he has top 2 d potential. What happens if he regresses? Just a brutal contract man.

I said top4 with a top2 potential, what's the problem with a 4.75M cap hit?
Nothing, expect there always has to be something doesn't there?

Florida needs steal type of contracts, this could be another one with Barkov/Huberdeau/Trocheck contracts.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This just in: Dale Tallon is completely clueless.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It doesn't matter, comparables are based on time in the NHL not KHL or college or the AHL, i just think that you can drive down a player's AAV when living in a competitive tax environment like Florida, kinda like what the TBL are doing with their roster

If we're talking salary arbitration then I agree.

If we're talking confidence/risk in a player's potential and ability going forward then I'd disagree. i.e. There's less risk with Zaitsev.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is a defensive defenceman, so more to it than points, but that is way too long, for players like these. Long term contracts like these, put you in tough spots down the road, and as a Wings fan, I know all about it. He may be good now, but blam an injury hits (Kronwall, Ericsson) and you are caught out with nearly 5 million cap hit over many years.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The risk you have to take in a cap world

Is it though? 4 or 5 years deals are risks, why go for another 3-4. Matheson is good and all, but he isn't Barkov or Trocheck or Ekblad. If he won't sign for fewer years, not the worst thing in the world to look at other options. If Barkov/Ekblad wants an 8 year deal, you take the risk certainly, but Matheson isn't Barkov/Ekblad level good.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Never heard of him.

Fair enough. I would venture to guess based on the majority of comments in here that there’s quite a few in the same boat. At the very least, sounds like a lot of them haven’t seen him play.

Anyway, he’s a top 4 guy for sure that still has potential to be a prime Brian Campbell type player. You factor in his current ability plus the potential that still exists, this contract is perfect for both sides.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
this makes the klingberg deal look like an absolute steal

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Tallon is never shy when it comes to contract length.

Matheson's play in the last year has been great though, probably under the radar with Ekblad already on FLA.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
That is a pretty bad contract. Could end up working OK however the kid is no Slavin/Hamilton/Jones/Lindholm. Very risky

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Is it though? 4 or 5 years deals are risks, why go for another 3-4. Matheson is good and all, but he isn't Barkov or Trocheck or Ekblad. If he won't sign for fewer years, not the worst thing in the world to look at other options. If Barkov/Ekblad wants an 8 year deal, you take the risk certainly, but Matheson isn't Barkov/Ekblad level good.

He isn't Barkov level, but I would take him over Ekblad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad