Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Mike Matheson signs extension (8 years, $4.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
McPhee and Tallon have this GM thing down pat.

I can see how a random hockey fan can make fun of Tallon and some of his moves, but there is something that they always overlook.

Tallon steps in 2003 on office for Chicago Blackhawks as an assistant general manager. In 2005 he takes over the main post. Everyone knows what became of the Chicago Blackhawks. It doesn't really matter what people say did he just get lucky that certain picks became available, what is evident is that success followed when he was on high posts.

He took over 2010 a horribad Florida Panthers team, had one bad season to continue the trend from his predecessors and made some moves to build some chemistry. Ever since then Panthers have now 2 division titles so far from 2012 and 2016. He got promoted after 2016 to a post to oversee things but was away while a lot of unnecessary moves were made that eventually destroyed the chemistry of the team and the good build up the team had prior to 2016. He got back in 2017 and Tom Rowe was moved back off and they have a good team spirit going on again after the ridiculed and unorthodox moves he made in the off season to undo some of "damage" made in 2016 off season and has the team again on a new direction. Everyone in the team is enthusiastic about it. Watch for the team to be on a rebounding trend ever since last off season.

Facts / conclusion: His players like him. When he is on helm at GM his teams are on a positive trend and anyone denying it is in denial. Has an uncanny vision to build a team with good chemistry. Has balls to make unorthodox moves and try to gain advantage over his peers in those.

I'm probably in the minority promoting him vs the ridicule he has received but I'm glad to have him in control of one of the teams I like to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Think Slavin contract but a year in advance. I agree it's risky but Matheson has incredible speed/skating and solid all around skills like Slavin. I envision a top pairing of Matheson and Ekblad for years to come, Matheson has the speed to allow Ekblad to cheat/pinch for a shot/keep in but Matheson also uses his speed to enter the neutral/offensive zones with ease. Think Brian Campbell 2.0 as well, matching hair color and all.

The upside is a top pairing defenseman, capable of 35-45pts when given more PP time. In a year, most have him leap-frogging Yandle on depth chart, if not, before this season is out. He's already up around 22mins a game but gets no PP time at all, that's where his missing points and TOI are.

I love the deal, length and all, the inflation of top 4 D in even 2-3 years, will be $6 million minimum so I don't see how it's unnecessary, they are evaluating their top 6 forwards, (Barkov, Huberdeau, Trocheck all locked up long term) and their top 4 D (Matheson, Yandle and Ekblad who are all signed long term) and projecting to save on bridge deals, then the 4-6 year deals that follow, allowing the player's agent to create their own inflation. The discount comes when the guy is a top pairing defenseman who is underpaid by about $1.5 to $ 2million per year, roughly 2-3 years into the deal. We're also buying all of his prime years.

Yandle and Reimer are the only one with a long term deals that are 30 years old or above, Luongo deal falls on Vancouver (cap recapture penalty) for most part if Lu retires in next 2 years which is likely.

Smith was a good 2nd liner but he was overpaid, ideally he's a GREAT 3rd liner capable of 40pts. Demers was overkill signing by Rowe which was not needed, we already had Petrovic and Pysyk on the right side. We cleared those up by losing Marchessault but looks like Dadonov is doing just fine, once that top line starts kicking, most Panther fans will forget Marchessault fairly quickly.

We now have our #1 and #2 Centers, #1LW, and 3/4 of our top 4 D signed and they can just focus on hockey. Tippett and Borgstrom project to be in the top 6 full time in the next year or two, both on ELC's. You're going to see a lot more GM's offer this security for less AAV, it probably helps ease inflation in the long run.

Regarding Demers, we did need a Dman - we just didn't need one who'd be signed for the next five years to a contract that size. A short term contract for one or two years would have been fine (too bad Campbell decided to sign with Chicago). Not sure why we didn't do that when it was clear even back then that there were Matheson and McCoshen coming soon.

Otherwise I agree with your assesment of the situation :)

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
This thread is a fantastic example of all the people who watch hockey within the little word of there favorite team and nothing else. So many people commenting on this and making it very clear they dont watch the Panthers or even pay attention to players in the game outside of there own team.

Matheson is a good Top 4D. Just because he doesn't have the name sake of guys like Jones, Parayko, Ghostisbere, Klingberg, Slavin, etc. etc. doesn't mean he's not a part of that same group of good young Dmen in the league.

He maybe doesn't have the upside of a couple of those guys. Regardless, he's still a quality Top 4 guy and at under 5M for all of his prime years now. That's a solid deal for both sides.

Some real good quotes from the kid as well. Sounds like a great relationship between he and the Panthers that should extend for the next 8 years.

Great post. Matheson, at this point, is our most reliable D. He's been durable so far (knock on wood) and is the most fit player on the team for 2 years in a row now. He plays heavy minutes 5v5 and PK and will hopefully get a shot at some juncture in time on the PP. He moves around the ice effortlessly and uses his stick and feet very effectively when defending. The length of the contract doesn't bother me at all. Some people arguing about his lack of time in the NHL, but probably don't realize he played 3 full seasons of college hockey after he was drafted then 60+ games in the AHL. He's 23 years old. The Panthers justifiably know what they have in him now as a dman and locked him up accordingly. Again, as others have said, he's a top 4 D as of this moment easily. If you look around the league, 4+ mill is pretty standard for a top 4 guy, maybe more depending on free agency/contract status. On top of this, he still has potential to be a #2/#3, which would easily put him >$5 mill. There's always risk when it comes to long term deals for various reasons, but I just don't see any reason to be worried at this point.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Resurrecting one here...

Matheson is 52nd in D scoring and 18th in goals for defensemen with just over 21 minutes per game. That's a high-end #3 on almost any team or a low-end #2 on a handful of teams.

$4.875 is a steal for this guy that many were saying was risky or labeling as a defensive defenseman.

Reactions: Dabeast

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It's a gamble. He's probably overpaid for the next year, maybe next 2-3 max. Then he should be a bargain.

Good gamble to take if you ask me.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Resurrecting one here...

Matheson is 52nd in D scoring and 18th in goals for defensemen with just over 21 minutes per game. That's a high-end #3 on almost any team or a low-end #2 on a handful of teams.

$4.875 is a steal for this guy that many were saying was risky or labeling as a defensive defenseman.
He a great young defender. Would have loved for the Leafs to try and make a deal for him after Matheson and Rielly showed great chemistry at the 2016 World Championships. He doesn't get a lot of recognition, but I see him almost as a Jay Boumeester type dman.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I like this for Florida, I've been impressed every time I've seen Matheson, if he improves it'll be a steal and even if it isn't getting him locked up for that long is a good thing for stability.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Resurrecting one here...

matheson is not even remotely close to a low end #2. I root for the team icing the worst defense in the NHL and when healthy hed be our #4

Reactions: AnimalFear

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Matheson.. is a top 4 D and will be for the remainder of the contract. Great puck moving skills. very aware defensively. Shot isnt terrific but thats ok. top 20 for D men in goals makes him a top 4... especially at his age. HE will be a solid top 4 dman with puck moving skills til he is 31.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If Matheson himself thought this deal would become a steal then I doubt he would have signed it.

Reactions: jw2

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Can't go wrong with $39 million dollars.

He's a good player and could easily be a $6m defenseman for the entire length of the contract.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
This contract didn't make sense in October, and still doesn't make sense.

If you're signing a dime a dozen player for 8 years, you'd think you'd at least be able to get him for cheap. But now Matheson is both over paid and signed for too long. I don't get it.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I know this is an old thread and I can't remember if I had posted in it already, but Matheson was totally worth this contract. He was very good as a rookie defenseman against the Islanders in the playoffs and he has a very good pedigree. This will look like a steal very soon if it doesn't already.

Reactions: Laus723 and Dabeast

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Players value financial security

I can see that argument too.

I just meant, this 39 mil is likely to be 3/4 of his entire career earnings now, regardless if he becomes a top 20 NHL D. If he had real confidence he would be worth more, he would just have waited two years to cash in with much more money for a young top 20 NHL D.

I don't think this will be an albatross contract unless he gets injured (always a possibility that should warn people away from having too many longer term deals) but I don't think it will be a steal, either.

Probably just fine but still puzzling to give such a long term with such a small chance for a major upside.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This contract didn't make sense in October, and still doesn't make sense.

If you're signing a dime a dozen player for 8 years, you'd think you'd at least be able to get him for cheap. But now Matheson is both over paid and signed for too long. I don't get it.

Dime a dozen? We talking about Polak? Carrick?
Have you seen the guy skate or any of his highlight reel goals?
Should finish with 10+ goals and 30pts in his 2nd full year. Probably has multiple 10 goal/40 pt potential in him. Think young Brian Campbell from Sabres and Blackhawks.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Dime a dozen? We talking about Polak? Carrick?
Have you seen the guy skate or any of his highlight reel goals?
Should finish with 10+ goals and 30pts in his 2nd full year. Probably has multiple 10 goal/40 pt potential in him. Think young Brian Campbell from Sabres and Blackhawks.
I think he's good. But Brian Campbell he is not. Middle pairing, excellent skating d-men aren't exactly rare these days. This would be like the Leafs giving Jake Gardiner 8 years after his first season. Maybe he will grow into someone worth nearly 5M, but at no point have I wished Gardiner was on an 8 year contract.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
good god

the money being thrown around nowadays is ridiculous

IMO he doesn't deserve this contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad