Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Mike Matheson signs extension (8 years, $4.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Those saying he is not a defensive d-man, fine maybe he isn't, but then 17 points a years ago, is bad, quite bad for a "offensive" d-man.

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
That's not remotely close to what I said

What he said was a perfect example of HFBoards trolling. People making things more black and white and derailing the overall picture to keep people "fighting" and going round and round. It was already stated that he is a top 4 d with excellent mobility, so making it look like it is based on pure potential is just silly. There's a troll army in HFBoards, deliberate or not. :P

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabeast

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What he said was a perfect example of HFBoards trolling. People making things more black and white and derailing the overall picture to keep people "fighting" and going round and round. It was already stated that he is a top 4 d with excellent mobility, so making it look like it is based on pure potential is just silly. There's a troll army in HFBoards, deliberate or not. :P

I wasn't trolling, and yes his quote that I mentioned did say potential!

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
I wasn't trolling, and yes his quote that I mentioned did say potential!

But you chose to skip the important part out where he stated that he is already a 3-4 d-man (who on market do make similar money already). That's why the comment could be perceived as trolling, it was simplifying the argument. It is not based on pure potential. It is based on what he is currently, taking a risk of no injuries hindering his progress and clearly the management wants him as part of the core for a long time showing commitment but also estimation of high potential for it to be a possible steal.

You get advantage over your peers by being original and unorthodox, not copying what everyone else does.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
But you chose to skip the important part out where he stated that he is already a 3-4 d-man (who on market do make similar money already). That's why the comment could be perceived as trolling, it was simplifying the argument. It is not based on pure potential. It is based on what he is currently, taking a risk of no injuries hindering his progress and clearly the management wants him as part of the core for a long time showing commitment but also estimation of high potential for it to be a possible steal.

You get advantage over your peers by being original and unorthodox, not copying what everyone else does.

I didn't ignore it, because 3-4 d-men don't get 8 year deals normally, especially after 1 season of play, and he inferred that the 2 potential would likely be more of a factor in a long term deal. I can't think of any 3-4 defencemen that have 8 year deals? 1-2 defenceman yes, not 3-4 guys.

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
I didn't ignore it, because 3-4 d-men don't get 8 year deals normally, especially after 1 season of play, and he inferred that the 2 potential would likely be more of a factor in a long term deal. I can't think of any 3-4 defencemen that have 8 year deals? 1-2 defenceman yes, not 3-4 guys.

Allright I'll buy that, but it definitely looked like it how you came out with it. Yeah, it's an unorthodox contract, points for Tallon for being original and trying to gain advantage over your peers in long term this way. Risks are always involved, we can truly be the judge only in retrospect. There are positives and negatives in the same package, not only one of the other. I hope everyone at least agrees to that and not purely on the polarisation of the negatives if the player is not remotely familiar to the poster (aka. not just looking at points total from last season from a team that had an off year on all players except Marchessault.).

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Those saying he is not a defensive d-man, fine maybe he isn't, but then 17 points a years ago, is bad, quite bad for a "offensive" d-man.

You mean his rookie season?

Where the team was overall bad and he, again, was used and is used incorrecty in my opinion.

He isnt given ample offensive opportunities.

Reactions: Dabeast

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I have to admit I have never really noticed him - which doesn't mean he was bad.

I'm not comparing the two players - just the circumstance; but people were going ape poo when Roman Josi signed his extension.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
For the record, I'm not a fan of the deal either. A little too long for my taste and a touch too much.

But he is being mischaracterized in this thread.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
More to playing defense than elite skating. Kid had a decent rookie year, but he has a lot to prove. It's definitely a risky contract for a guy who is still somewhat unproven.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
This reminds me of the 8 year deal I gave Tinordi in NHL 13. I regretted it.

Hope this works out for FLA, seems very risky

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't get this contract. He's got 1 season under his belt, which is fine but nothing spectacular. I'd have waited until after this season, and then likely signed him to a 2-year bridge deal instead.

It's risky. If he ends up being a run of the mill 15p guy he's not worth 5mil a year.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
People saying this is a "terrible contract" just don't watch Florida play.

He's already a legitimate top-4 defensman, with upside to be more. Aside from Pysyk, he's probably our most reliable d-man.

What do you guys think is the going rate for a top-4 d? Minimum $4mil per year. So absolute worst case scenario, he doesn't progress one bit over the next few years, he's overpaid by $850k.

If he becomes a legit top pairing D, he's probably going to be UNDERPAID by $1.2 mil, minimum. Possibly more.

Add in the econimics of the situation and the likelihood of inflation, even if he doesn't progress, his deal could be the going rate for D.

Dmitry Kulikov just got $4.5 mil per by the Jets and Matheson is a better player already.

Watching him play, i doubt he's reached his full potential. He's already very good and has just started to tap into his offensive ability.

It's really not that risky, and could be very rewarding in the future. We need it to be with Ekblad looking like he's grossly overpaid.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
By the looks of it, he's a guy who has the potential to maybe be a player that could make $6 million at his peak, and they gave him almost $5 for 8 years after playing only 1 full season. Doesn't sound like the reward is worth the risk. Maybe the money isn't all that ridiculous, but the 8-year term is an unnecessary risk considering they're not getting much of a discount during his possible peak years.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This thread is a fantastic example of all the people who watch hockey within the little word of there favorite team and nothing else. So many people commenting on this and making it very clear they dont watch the Panthers or even pay attention to players in the game outside of there own team.

Matheson is a good Top 4D. Just because he doesn't have the name sake of guys like Jones, Parayko, Ghostisbere, Klingberg, Slavin, etc. etc. doesn't mean he's not a part of that same group of good young Dmen in the league.

He maybe doesn't have the upside of a couple of those guys. Regardless, he's still a quality Top 4 guy and at under 5M for all of his prime years now. That's a solid deal for both sides.

Some real good quotes from the kid as well. Sounds like a great relationship between he and the Panthers that should extend for the next 8 years.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
By the looks of it, he's a guy who has the potential to maybe be a player that could make $6 million at his peak, and they gave him almost $5 for 8 years after playing only 1 full season. Doesn't sound like the reward is worth the risk. Maybe the money isn't all that ridiculous, but the 8-year term is an unnecessary risk considering they're not getting much of a discount during his possible peak years.

Think Slavin contract but a year in advance. I agree it's risky but Matheson has incredible speed/skating and solid all around skills like Slavin. I envision a top pairing of Matheson and Ekblad for years to come, Matheson has the speed to allow Ekblad to cheat/pinch for a shot/keep in but Matheson also uses his speed to enter the neutral/offensive zones with ease. Think Brian Campbell 2.0 as well, matching hair color and all.

The upside is a top pairing defenseman, capable of 35-45pts when given more PP time. In a year, most have him leap-frogging Yandle on depth chart, if not, before this season is out. He's already up around 22mins a game but gets no PP time at all, that's where his missing points and TOI are.

I love the deal, length and all, the inflation of top 4 D in even 2-3 years, will be $6 million minimum so I don't see how it's unnecessary, they are evaluating their top 6 forwards, (Barkov, Huberdeau, Trocheck all locked up long term) and their top 4 D (Matheson, Yandle and Ekblad who are all signed long term) and projecting to save on bridge deals, then the 4-6 year deals that follow, allowing the player's agent to create their own inflation. The discount comes when the guy is a top pairing defenseman who is underpaid by about $1.5 to $ 2million per year, roughly 2-3 years into the deal. We're also buying all of his prime years.

Yandle and Reimer are the only one with a long term deals that are 30 years old or above, Luongo deal falls on Vancouver (cap recapture penalty) for most part if Lu retires in next 2 years which is likely.

Smith was a good 2nd liner but he was overpaid, ideally he's a GREAT 3rd liner capable of 40pts. Demers was overkill signing by Rowe which was not needed, we already had Petrovic and Pysyk on the right side. We cleared those up by losing Marchessault but looks like Dadonov is doing just fine, once that top line starts kicking, most Panther fans will forget Marchessault fairly quickly.

We now have our #1 and #2 Centers, #1LW, and 3/4 of our top 4 D signed and they can just focus on hockey. Tippett and Borgstrom project to be in the top 6 full time in the next year or two, both on ELC's. You're going to see a lot more GM's offer this security for less AAV, it probably helps ease inflation in the long run.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008

oYDmd3M.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad