Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Mike Matheson signs extension (8 years, $4.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He is a defensive defenceman, so more to it than points, but that is way too long, for players like these. Long term contracts like these, put you in tough spots down the road, and as a Wings fan, I know all about it. He may be good now, but blam an injury hits (Kronwall, Ericsson) and you are caught out with nearly 5 million cap hit over many years.

It's a good deal. He is a good dman.

Do not worry about a few years down the road by then with inflation, he'd be a bargain.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Is there a potential lockout next season that made them give out an 8 yr deal to a guy instead of a 1 year deal to see if he replicates his success before signing a long deal like that? At least then you could have a fairer assessment of him before committing to that kind of term.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I thought about this some more.

One NHL season. Limited offense.

Just a terrible deal. I think florida will come to regret this contract. Just not enough time to evaluate a player.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
giphy.gif

8 Years?

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
Worst case scenario: regression and injuries and it looks real bad
Expected scenario: keeps his trajectory and it's a good deal for both
Best case scenario: exceeds expectations and it's a steal for a long time

There is no reason to expect the worst, that would be bad luck. He looks good out there, great skater, had a real nice wow move in yesterdays game bringing the puck in the o-zone. Some defensive lapses seen that exist for young d-men, but experience and coaching gets them worked out. It's more likely going to be something between expected - best case. Good deal.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I like it. But I've always been a big fan of Matheson. Will be a steady top 4 Defensman for a long time.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
It's a big contract, but he has played well in these 2 games so far. If he keeps it up he should be well worth the money.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Tallon trying to be smart, clearly betting on this guy turning into a good #2/3.

A bit expensive, he can't have been commanding this much money for so long? Look at Klefbom, Larsson, Ekholm and so on...

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
He's top 4, very fast. Good in both ends, plays a lot. Lots of ice time.

Saw the Ekblad deal mentioned and i can confirm it is horrible, Ekblad is not very good. He's very sluggish and has been since last year. Concussions and injuries derailing him big time.

As a Panthers fan i like this deal.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
He is a defensive defenceman, so more to it than points, but that is way too long, for players like these. Long term contracts like these, put you in tough spots down the road, and as a Wings fan, I know all about it. He may be good now, but blam an injury hits (Kronwall, Ericsson) and you are caught out with nearly 5 million cap hit over many years.

He’s not a defensive Dman.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
That says more about you than the contract.

Nobody's heard of him. You don't give guys an 8 year deal after one season. How has Florida managed to overpay for their d corps by so much despite being a tax haven? Tallon needs to be stopped. :laugh:

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
Nobody's heard of him. You don't give guys an 8 year deal after one season. How has Florida managed to overpay for their d corps by so much despite being a tax haven? Tallon needs to be stopped. :laugh:

It tells a lot about HFBoards that there are people commenting on this thread that have not heard of him. There are probably a lot of comments also from people who don't watch Florida play and just checked Matheson stats from last season on a team that had a horrible season. Ekblad contract was on Tom Rowe, who can be viewed more as a saboteur in retrospect :D. Tallon is fine, he does some unorthodox things that get ridiculed on HFBoards but it is backed up by evidence that success follows him. he has a nose for chemistry and character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad