FA/Trade Thread 2014-2015 Season V.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You trade any player that is over the age of 24 and build a young team who want to learn, bleed and go to war together as a team, not just for themselves and to collect a pay check and go back to there Xbox One

I'll go further, you trade any player who won't play the way you want.

Doesn't matter if they're 31 or 21, if they aren't the type to buy-in on team concepts move them.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
What are the chances a team like St Louis would be interested in Kessel if the Blues flop in the playoffs again? They may have to move some players out shortly as it is with Schwartz due to be an RFA in 2 years, Tarasenko's up for RFA after this year. Backes has 1 year left after this year and Oshie has 2.

Close to nil. Your premise is slightly odd since you are talking about the Blues potentially needing to move players, presumably for cap reasons, while suggesting we add an $8m contract.

We have enough flexibility to sign all our important players without too much issue, adding Kessel wouldn't be possible.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Close to nil. Your premise is slightly odd since you are talking about the Blues potentially needing to move players, presumably for cap reasons, while suggesting we add an $8m contract.

We have enough flexibility to sign all our important players without too much issue, adding Kessel wouldn't be possible.

Yep, I've read the concern is the next couple of years and fitting the higher performing youts under the cap. An .80 Canadian dollar isn't going to help the cap.

Teams that have a lot of cap space might be able to get a decent return from the Blues, unfortunately, the Leafs aren't one of those teams.

Now if they could move Phaneuf for picks/prospects it might begin to get them into that market.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Do you even know how a market works? Do you know how to look at players' point totals? You can use a few different sites to compare them (nhl.com, hockeydb.com, etc.). I suggest you pay one of those sites a visit and compare Kessel to Gabrorik and Nash. It'll also show you how old they were when traded. It'll show you how many games Kessel has played, he's one of the most durable players in the entire league.

You keep comparing Kessel to Nash but Nash requested out of Columbus. He also said he wanted to go to the rangers (ie: no bidding war). There's a much larger market for Phil Kessel.

Kessel will be far and away the best player on the market this summer. If the leafs are going to consider moving him, you can bet there will be a bidding war. MSM have already come out and said Kessel has a tonne of interest league wide.
This is such ******** and you can stop saying it any time now. He isn't durable, he avoids contact, avoids the dirty places on the ice, avoids playing defense, avoids the forecheck and backcheck, basically avoids being a hockey player as much as possible. This is why he hasn't missed a game. He floats and pivots, pivots and floats. He's way more skilled in hockey than I'll ever be in anything. I just know that I strive to do the best at most things that I try and I don't see that in him. This is the reason that he won't return the quality that you think that he will.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Kessel will not get a Nash return :shakehead. His value around the league is more then Nash was, again he could only be traded to ONE team so the return was the best that team could muster. When you have more teams in the mix a bidding war could happen and the return would increase because of it.:yo:

How soon people forget how big a ticket he actually was.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I don;t understand where he's coming from. He hasn't provided one logical argument for using a Rick Nash trade (where he only had one place he could be traded) or a Gaborik trade (not nearly as durable or consistent as Kessel) as his comparisons.

Then he uses Tyler Seguin as an example :shakehead...Just weird logic.

And you haven't cited one instance where trading a big ticket has landed a legit 1C/D. You have conveniently chosen to ignore several requests to do so.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
How soon people forget how big a ticket he actually was.
He wasn't a top three offensive player in the league in the seasons leading up to the trade, though, and IIRC didn't he request a trade?

We'd probably be looking at a similar return to what Columbus got for Nash, but less quantity and more quality IMO. Something like a decent, young roster player with some upside, a blue chip prospect and a late 1st (assuming it's a contending team trading for him).

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
He wasn't a top three offensive player in the league in the seasons leading up to the trade, though, and IIRC didn't he request a trade?

We'd probably be looking at a similar return to what Columbus got for Nash, but less quantity and more quality IMO. Something like a decent, young roster player with some upside, a blue chip prospect and a late 1st (assuming it's a contending team trading for him).

He was however a top ten player in the league. Something our boy Phil is not.

Hey, if we can get less quantity and more quality great. The fact of the mater is that it's going to be a similar type of deal and there will be no franchise player coming back our way.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I think a majority of people at the time of the trade would have emphatically disagreed with that

That's fine and based on production alone they would have had a strong case. His production did tail off quite a bit in the two years leading up to the trade. He did however play on a very week team and was all world years for the three leading up to them. There is no denying that he was top 10 in the league in the late 2000s leading up to the Olympics.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I think we should be looking into scenarios where we move Kessel and take back a bad contract in return to get the most value for him. If its going to be a full rebuild we won't need the space for a while, nor will top UFAs want to come here.

I'm not sure what Carolinas plan is but they obviously had a need for an elite winger when they signed Semin and it hasn't worked out so far obviously. If we take him back in a Kessel deal, think about what Kessel's worth plus the cost of getting rid of a contract like that. Semin replaces the sniper role (not nearly as well obviously) and is decent defensively. His contract is up in the same window we'd start getting competitive in.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I think we should be looking into scenarios where we move Kessel and take back a bad contract in return to get the most value for him. If its going to be a full rebuild we won't need the space for a while, nor will top UFAs want to come here.

I'm not sure what Carolinas plan is but they obviously had a need for an elite winger when they signed Semin and it hasn't worked out so far obviously. If we take him back in a Kessel deal, think about what Kessel's worth plus the cost of getting rid of a contract like that. Semin replaces the sniper role (not nearly as well obviously) and is decent defensively. His contract is up in the same window we'd start getting competitive in.

Think of something like Kessel for a high value piece and a cap dump. Think of something to Florida where we take on an atrocious contract in Brian Campbell and a high quality piece from them in return.

Kessel to FLA for Barkov + Campbell (cap dump). Not saying we'll get Barkov back, but something along the lines.

Swayze*

I am absolutely giddy right now thinking about all the returns we could get for these overpaid bums.

Makes my heart warm.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Think of something like Kessel for a high value piece and a cap dump. Think of something to Florida where we take on an atrocious contract in Brian Campbell and a high quality piece from them in return.

Kessel to FLA for Barkov + Campbell (cap dump). Not saying we'll get Barkov back, but something along the lines.

Would rather not trade one of the best offensive forwards in league inside our division.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I am absolutely giddy right now thinking about all the returns we could get for these overpaid bums.

Makes my heart warm.

last time we thought we were going to do a mass dump, Sundin refused to waive, and we didnt do almost anything. :shakehead

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
last time we thought we were going to do a mass dump, Sundin refused to waive, and we didnt do almost anything. :shakehead

Different NTCs. Sundin, Kaberle, and McCabe all had FULL NTCs. Could block any trade to any team. I'm not sure on what Tucker/Kubina's clauses were. The "Muskoka 5" era ended poorly for that reason, not to mention all of them were 30+ years with quickly declining value (aside from Sundin who's value would have still been quite high had we traded him).

Kubina we unfortunately sold for way undervalue. They guy was a solid #2-3 dman and we traded him for a couple AHLers/borderline NHLers. A pile of garbage essentially, just so we could use his capspace on Komi.

Kessel/Phaneuf have to present a list of what? Like 12 teams that they'd accept a trade to? Something like that?

There are restrictions, but still options. Not to mention given that they're in their primes, I think they'd be more open to a trade that could impact half their career. Nobody wants to spend 5+ years in their primes playing for an organization that doesn't want them.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Nash also had ZERO 80+ point seasons, only ONE 70+ point season, and that 70+ point season was 4 years prior to the trade. He's more physical than Kessel, but wasn't known as a good defensive player. Plus he was considered a big overpaid contract whereas Kessel's is considered good market value.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

I'd say last time we did this was in 2011 with Kaberle and Versteeg. Two firsts, a second and a third. Would love to recoup that and have Hunter and Dubas in charge of those selections.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto

Makes my heart warm.

I get great joy out of watching Rielly play. It'd be awesome watching Rielly, Nylander and 2-3 other young guys of their caliber playing on the team and watching them grow.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I should hope we get a decent prospect if the 2nd is outside the top 45-50. You can find gems early in the 2nd, but in the latter half you're picking project players again.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Someone on twitter suggested Franson to the Kings for Kempe. I like the sounds of that deal. Skilled Swedish prospect who Nylander is fimiliar with.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I should hope we get a decent prospect if the 2nd is outside the top 45-50. You can find gems early in the 2nd, but in the latter half you're picking project players again.

Mostly agree, but there's usually a few players that slip into the late 2nd early third. Wasn't Brayden Point went in the mid third just last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad