FA/Trade Thread 2014-2015 Season V.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
While I agree that JvR would command a big return, maybe the greatest return out if anyone on the roster, I still don't think we should trade him. He's young and on a ridiculous contract, and his problems could easily be fixed. In that sense I don't think we should do a 'full rebuild' because we have a lot of young pieces that are hard to get. If we trade JvR and in some respects Bernier and Kadri, we won't be able to get those types of players for some time, maybe never. Especially JvR, there aren't many players in the league with his skillset. To be honest off the top of my head I can't think of any. I think if we trade JvR we'll really regret it.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
JVR

FOR

Nick Ritchie
Shea Theodore
2ns round pick

thoughts?

I would consider this deal.

I also wonder if they'd be interested in Phaneuf. They only have a couple D-men under contract next season (Fowler, Vatanen and Lindholm and a couple 6/7 guys). They've got tons of cap room as well.

I would love to get Theodore. I think we should try to load up on D prospects.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Yes but Florida would never take on contracts like that ever. To long of term and way to much money tied up in only 2 players for them.

The thing is that Phaneuf's salary would be replacing Campbell's and Lupul's would be replacing Huberdeau's who is up for a raise next year.

I've been to a couple of Panthers games in the last year and it's not a pretty sight. These guys have to make a splash sooner than later or Luongo's wife is going to have to move away from home again.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd rather take less, but, go after that Elite talent ...we lack elite in a big way here, and in Kessel, we would be giving up the only thing we can really call elite.

you would deal Kessel for a package similar to Holland and Leivo? ...they will likely both top out as 2nd line players, and meet the age requirement.

Holland and Leivo are not 2nd. line NHL players. Lupul is a 2nd. liner, Kadri is a 2nd. liner. You wouldn't take a Stepan and Kreider for Kessel? Nyquist is he a 2nd. liner or a 1st. liner?

Kessel is elite in what he does, but that doesn't make him or the team a winner.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
JVR to minny for Dumba and 1st
Kessel to cls for wennberg and 1st

leafs get a rhd prospect to go with rielly
a top swede forward to go with nylander
potentially 3 top 10 picks

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ts-if-toronto-maple-leafs-trade-dion-phaneuf/

Five potential trade destinations for Dion Phaneuf
MIKE JOHNSTON JANUARY 23, 2015, 12:57 PM
Looks mostly like stuff Elliotte Friedman was making up on Sportsnet 960 The Fan )

Avs
Potential trade chips: Ryan O’Reilly, Joey Hishon, Nick Holden, Jamie McGinn

Ducks
Potential trade chips: Matt Beleskey, Devante Smith-Pelly, Nick Ritchie, Shea Theodore, Nick Sorensen

Kings
Potential trade chips: Mike Richards, Valentin Zykov, Nick Ebert, Brayden McNabb

Oilers
Potential trade chips: Nail Yakupov, Jordan Eberle, Justin Schultz, Bogdan Yakimov, Martin Marincin

Stars
Potential trade chips: Cody Eakin, Brett Ritchie, Radek Faksa, Jason Dickinson, John Klingberg, Jamie Oleksiak

Only interested in the following:

Phaneuf and Lupul to:

Oilers for Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz

Ducks for Devante Smith-Pelly and Nick Ritchie

Avs for Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn

Not interested in the others.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

You realize Dumba is a mix of Gardiner and someone dumber than Gardiner, right?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I said its fair but it doesn't make sense...doesn't give us a stud to build around which is the main point of a Kessel trade

You're trading Kessel for the sake of trading Kessel, you need to think long term

Kessel will get a similar return to Nash. Nash handcuffed CLB with his NTC. Kessel will have more market value depending on competitive bidders

Rymistri

Jun 17, 2011
Ottawa
For what purpose?

Clarkson is a negative, so likely get back less than the + you have to add to move him.

Robidas 37 year old part time defender.

How does that change the dynamics of the team?

To me Clarkson and Robidas are perfect players to keep on a rebuilding team. You somewhat give the appearance of having NHL players on your roster while almost ensuring you suck. Plus hopefully they take some heat of the young players and you get to ride out their contracts.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
The thing is that Phaneuf's salary would be replacing Campbell's and Lupul's would be replacing Huberdeau's who is up for a raise next year.

I've been to a couple of Panthers games in the last year and it's not a pretty sight. These guys have to make a splash sooner than later or Luongo's wife is going to have to move away from home again.

Luongo choose florida to retire there more then play there to be honest

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Kessel will get a similar return to Nash. Nash handcuffed CLB with his NTC. Kessel will have more market value depending on competitive bidders

Kessel can get a better return than Rick Nash. Do some research and compare the players and their situations.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
To me Clarkson and Robidas are perfect players to keep on a rebuilding team. You somewhat give the appearance of having NHL players on your roster while almost ensuring you suck. Plus hopefully they take some heat of the young players and you get to ride out their contracts.

Realistically Robidas can always be bought out after next season

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

90% chance those picks never become as good as kessel or jvr

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
90% chance those picks never become as good as kessel or jvr

As Pierre LeBrun noted yesterday, “Other teams [are] trying to take advantage of [the] Leafs’ situation. I think you’ll see moves before March 2 but bigger, more drastic moves [in the] off-season.†Everyone in the hockey world sees and hears what is happening in Toronto, from another collapse, to jersey tossing, to Kessel and Phaneuf being run out of town. Nobody is calling to save the day for the Leafs; they are calling to fleece them. So the team will have to wait until the draft, when things settle down and teams have a better idea of what the cap is going to be for next season. The Leafs only have three deals expiring after the 2015-2016 season (Frattin, Polak, Reimer), meaning they will be trying to move substantial contracts with dollars and term left on aging players.

We're gonna lose these deals most likely.

Rymistri

Jun 17, 2011
Ottawa
We're gonna lose these deals most likely.

I look at Kessel like having a million dollar house that you can only sell for 750k. Do you sell it, invest the $$ and hope you can recoup your losses or do you ride it right into the ****ing ground?

I know it is somewhat dramatic/ridiculous but that is kind of how I feel.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Exactly not even close to a 80 point player really at the time they where traded.

Points aren't the basis of the comparisons, it's their role. Gaborik/Nash were perennial scorers. You have to realize that's Kessel value on the low-end, because a market is dictated by historical prices and competitive bidders.

Marian Gaborik had a 76 point season prior to his trade to Columbus

Nash has also been one of the top scoring threats in the league for years now.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Points aren't the basis of the comparisons, it's their role. Gaborik/Nash were perennial scorers. You have to realize that's Kessel value on the low-end, because a market is dictated by historical prices and competitive bidders.

How is his value on the low end? He is on pace for 70-75 points this season and is a goal scorer with a better shot then Nash and Gaborik could ever imagine to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad