F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
According to my software the season he is having right now is equivalent to a 60-60-72-132 season on his draft eligible year (with equivalent linemates), could be more if he were to be playing with better ones, with good linemates (just good, not very good ones) on his draft eligible year it would be equivalent to 60-62-80-142 season.
Yeah, my guess though is that doesn’t happen for a couple reasons. I find a lot of projections like that can inflate the numbers of late vs early birthdays (look at Tavares projected numbers). The other issue is that most 16 year olds (especially late birthdays) see significant ice-time increases as they get older which is built into projection models (as we don’t have reliable TOI stats). A guy who walks in and gets first line minutes, won’t see this effect.

Lafreniere is talented enough to prove me wrong on this. He’s clearly an elite talent.

Reactions: 99664987

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, my guess though is that doesn’t happen for a couple reasons. I find a lot of projections like that can inflate the numbers of late vs early birthdays (look at Tavares projected numbers). The other issue is that most 16 year olds (especially late birthdays) see significant ice-time increases as they get older which is built into projection models (as we don’t have reliable TOI stats). A guy who walks in and gets first line minutes, won’t see this effect.

Lafreniere is talented enough to prove me wrong on this. He’s clearly an elite talent.

The projection does take into account the late birthday and the ice-time as well. I still somewhat doubt he will get those type of numbers since with any type of small injury or moments of lack of motivation it will make it very hard to average 2ppg every night, he might also be over-performing right now which are inflating the numbers. But you never know, he may just be too good for the league when reaching that age. Look at Heponiemi numbers right now, maybe Lafraniere could do similar numbers a year or so younger.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The projection does take into account the late birthday and the ice-time as well. I still somewhat doubt he will get those type of numbers since with any type of small injury or moments of lack of motivation it will make it very hard to average 2ppg every night, he might also be over-performing right now which are inflating the numbers. But you never know, he may just be too good for the league when reaching that age. Look at Heponiemi numbers right now, maybe Lafraniere could do similar numbers a year or so younger.
Yeah, I assumed there was an age adjustment.

Just wondering how are you tracking ice-time? As far as I know there is no publicly vailable source that tracks it. Most seem to be using estimates based on tools created in the 90’s, which are better than nothing but not fully reliable.

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, I assumed there was an age adjustment.

Just wondering how are you tracking ice-time? As far as I know there is no public ally available source that tracks it. Most seem to be using estimates based on tools created in the 90’s, which are better than nothing but not fully reliable.

I don't enter the exact ice-time since as you noted we don't have the information available, so instead I look at the point production, particularly PP production, in comparison with the depth chart of the organization he is playing on to make the best assumption. I then put the player within a certain group; 1st line minutes, 1st/2nd in between, 2nd line, etc. There is also an option of full ice time which is superior to 1st line which I rarely use. So the variable isn't perfectly representative, but since so many variables are also being factored in in the final score, possibly being slightly off on a variable of that sort does not affect the final score in any significative way.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Seems like a humble guy, not cocky whatsoever. Anyone who is closer to Alexis who can say whether his attitude is good?

Please not have the personality of Shinkaruk...
What’s up with Shinkaruk?

Lafreniere had an interview on TV last year based on his Midget AAA season and he seems like a grounded guy. Wants to get better, very demanding of himself, the kind of stuff you like to see about a young prospect.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What’s up with Shinkaruk?

He had an interview on TV last year based on his Midget AAA season and he seems like a grounded guy. Wants to get better, very demanding of himself, the guy of stuff you like to see about a young prospect.
Disliked by teammates, viewed as an A-hole and self centered.

Reactions: Killerjas

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Saw Bob Mackenzie actually tweeted something about him. Its weird that hes doing this well, is so young, but isnt getting coverage at all or mentioned on TSN. He could make the world junior team next year, 2 years before his draft and still no hype from the media. I expect that will change next year because of the season he is having. Lack of attention is probably because he passed on getting exceptional status

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Saw Bob Mackenzie actually tweeted something about him. Its weird that hes doing this well, is so young, but isnt getting coverage at all or mentioned on TSN. He could make the world junior team next year, 2 years before his draft and still no hype from the media. I expect that will change next year because of the season he is having. Lack of attention is probably because he passed on getting exceptional status

Well... to be fair, he is THREE drafts away from now, and the media doesn't have much to benefit as of yet, in hyping people to watch the draft lottery and draft itself, that far in advance. But, guys like Bob McKenzie have been tweeting about him, since late 2016 I think. Not frequently or anything, but he has had mentions. THREE drafts away, is a lifetime in the hockey world, but the hype will certainly begin, probably starting to build up steam about a year from now, and then taking off, after the 2019 draft year.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Lack of attention is probably because he passed on getting exceptional status
Maybe. I remember Veleno getting tons of TSN hype right before he got his exceptional status. Yet his 16 yo season was nothing compared Lafreniere’s...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad