F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well... to be fair, he is THREE drafts away from now, and the media doesn't have much to benefit as of yet, in hyping people to watch the draft lottery and draft itself, that far in advance. But, guys like Bob McKenzie have been tweeting about him, since late 2016 I think. Not frequently or anything, but he has had mentions. THREE drafts away, is a lifetime in the hockey world, but the hype will certainly begin, probably starting to build up steam about a year from now, and then taking off, after the 2019 draft year.

I'm not saying hes McDavid, but I remember hearing plenty in the media about him since he was like 14. Same with Josh Ho Sang. Guys like Eklblad and even Sean Day were all heard of well before their 16 year old season. I brought Lafrenierre up to my friends who are massive hockey fans and they hadnt heard of him, despite the season hes actually putting up in junior. I guarantee they would have all heard of the other guys names I listed.

Could also just be an Ontario thing for TSN as well I guess

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm not saying hes McDavid, but I remember hearing plenty in the media about him since he was like 14. Same with Josh Ho Sang. Guys like Eklblad and even Sean Day were all heard of well before their 16 year old season. I brought Lafrenierre up to my friends who are massive hockey fans and they hadnt heard of him, despite the season hes actually putting up in junior. I guarantee they would have all heard of the other guys names I listed.

Lafreniere kind of came out of nowhere, though. He really made a name for himself last year as far as I know. Not the same kind of situation as Crosby or McDavid that had been on the radar since their early teens.

Also the fact he plays in the Q gives him less exposure than the OHL.

In any case, out of his 41 goals, only 6 have come on the PP, which is pretty unreal. Interestingly enough, he's 2nd in the league with a +38. Really, really excited to see how he does next year. He's about to outproduce MacKinnon's rookie season. On pace for a better rookie season than Hall as well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lafreniere kind of came out of nowhere, though. He really made a name for himself last year as far as I know. Not the same kind of situation as Crosby or McDavid that had been on the radar since their early teens.

In any case, out of his 41 goals, only 6 have come on the PP, which is pretty unreal. Interestingly enough, he's 2nd in the league with a +38. Really, really excited to see how he does next year. He's about to outproduce MacKinnon's rookie season. On pace for a better rookie season than Hall as well.

Didnt know the PP part, that is impressive.

Also, did he realy come out of nowhere? I mean, I read in this thread that he actually didnt want exceptional status even though it seemed like he would've gotten it. Did he just come out of nowhere because he wasnt good younger, or because for whatever reason he wasnt getting hyped like the other guys? He shouldnt be hyped like Crosby or McDavid, I'm sure hes not that level of prospect, but how did people know about the Ho Sangs, Sean Days, Velenos, Ekblad etc before Lafrenniere? Another guy I just thought of that was in the same boat was Chychrun.

You dont just come out of nowhere and put up 40+ goals as a 15/16 year old in a major junior league.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

It will be hard to pass Hall statistically when you age and league adjust his scoring. Although, you can argue Lafreniere's season is more impressive, as he doesn't have someone like Josh Bailey around.

Currently, I have Lafreniere at 1.70 on the year, compared to Hall's 1.89 in adjusted PPG. It would still be the 3rd highest I've seen in a draft -2 year behind Tavares (a ridiculous 2.89) and Hall. Looking at 16 year old seasons since the 2005 draft (so I have the numbers of 2003 and 2004 for those guys), it would be behind Tavares, Hall, Crosby, McDavid, and Stamkos. Considering all those guys went 1st overall, and all have been elite at the NHL level, I'd say that is good company.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Didnt know the PP part, that is impressive.

Also, did he realy come out of nowhere? I mean, I read in this thread that he actually didnt want exceptional status even though it seemed like he would've gotten it. Did he just come out of nowhere because he wasnt good younger, or because for whatever reason he wasnt getting hyped like the other guys? He shouldnt be hyped like Crosby or McDavid, I'm sure hes not that level of prospect, but how did people know about the Ho Sangs, Sean Days, Velenos, Ekblad etc before Lafrenniere? Another guy I just thought of that was in the same boat was Chychrun.

You dont just come out of nowhere and put up 40+ goals as a 15/16 year old in a major junior league.

I don't recall which year it was exactly, but I think before his second season of bantam AAA, he wasn't exactly considered the cream of the crop for his Q draft year. He absolutely exploded the season after, and he carried it on in midget, and that's when he started to get some hype. From what I understand, guys like Poulin, Parent and Pelletier were considered better prospects before that.

Some more informed posters on junior hockey probably know more of the details around here, but that's the general outline.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It will be hard to pass Hall statistically when you age and league adjust his scoring. Although, you can argue Lafreniere's season is more impressive, as he doesn't have someone like Josh Bailey around.

I mean, he has a better PPG than Hall in his rookie season, as of right now.

And, as you pointed out, he's the one leading the charge for his team, as opposed to Hall's rookie season where he ended up 3rd in team scoring.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Lafreniere really did come out of nowhere. A year before the draft all the hype was on Xavier Parent and Samuel Poulin. Those were the players being considered for exceptional status, not Lafreniere. Even a guy like Xavier Simoneau was getting more hype.

Reactions: Acadien86

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I mean, he has a better PPG than Hall in his rookie season, as of right now.

And, as you pointed out, he's the one leading the charge for his team, as opposed to Hall's rookie season where he ended up 3rd in team scoring.
I just was finishing editing my post. When you adjust for age and league quality, he has the best season behind Tavares and Hall for a D-2. Just looking at 16 year old seasons, he's behind Hall, Tavares, Crosby, McDavid and Stamkos. That includes all players drafted in the 1st round since 2005.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Saw Bob Mackenzie actually tweeted something about him. Its weird that hes doing this well, is so young, but isnt getting coverage at all or mentioned on TSN. He could make the world junior team next year, 2 years before his draft and still no hype from the media. I expect that will change next year because of the season he is having. Lack of attention is probably because he passed on getting exceptional status
He's a late birthday, he didn't need exceptional status. Being French from the Q certainly tempers the hype.

Didn't he break records in his final midget year last year? Something about being on Mario Lemieux pace?

I'm glad he's finally getting some recognition, special player.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
He's a late birthday, he didn't need exceptional status. Being French from the Q certainly tempers the hype.

Didn't he break records in his final midget year last year? Something about being on Mario Lemieux pace?

I'm glad he's finally getting some recognition, special player.
Yup. His Midget AAA numbers were exceptional, much better than Drouin in his Q draft year.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Actually there is a hype with Lafrenière in Québec since is last Bantam AAA season. Before that , the big hype was with Xavier Parent.

In the big Pee Wee tournament of Quebec City ..a lot of people said that were never seen a talent like Parent at that age..since...Mario Lemieux..

However, everthing changed 2 years after:

2015-2016 season Bantam AAA : Lafrenière = 69 points in 26 games. Poulin: 68 points in 39 games and Pelletier: 50 points in 32 games.

Parent had the same kind of stats than Poulin that year.

Last year Midget AAA : Lafrenière = 83 points in 36 games.....

Reactions: Acadien86

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
As noted already, it's remarkable that he's scoring at Zadina's pace 2 drafts behind him. I have only see him play twice. Unbelievable hockey IQ for his age and a well rounded skill set to go with it. He might not be elite in any specific skill but the way he thinks the game at 16 really stands out.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

There is a very good thread: Child Prodigy . I recommend read it from Wiesblatt brothers (first page). Lafrenierre is nowhere to find in this thread.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Rimouski got absolutely destroyed in a 2-9(!) loss against Drummondville. Alexis did get 1 goal and 1 assist, bringing his total goals and assists to 42G and 36A, having 78 points!

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
So what kind of superstar should we be expecting with Lafreniere? I realize he's only just turned 16 but no prospect as put up these kind of numbers since Sid at the same age.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016

You reminded me of some "future greats" such as Alyn Mccauley, Olivier Archambault and Daniel Cleary. Great at a very young age... not superstars in the future.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Tavares scored 45 goals at age 15.

But yeah, Lafreniere is a better skater than 15-year old (or 16-year old) John Tavares.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Reminds me a lot of Tavares/Crosby in terms of his play style (hard work + skill). Don't know if h'll be as good as those 2 but there are similarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->