F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=296697

late 01, leading the midget aaa in front of 2 very good 01 born player (poulin and parent). pretty big for his age too. look like he will have twice the year veleno had at the same age. anybody have a scouting report on him ? i've just seen a 3-4 min vid on youtube ,but the guy look impressing.

Lafrenière is a really good player. Good body, smooth fast player with great hands and a good vision. For me, he has all the tools. Really smart with the puck.

He's my number 1 for the next QMJHL Draft.

1- Lafrenière
2- Poulin
3- Parent
4- Pelletier

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
At the same age (last season), Veleno was playing in the QMJHL.

Lafrenière is 21 months younger and eligible for the 2020 draft while Veleno is 2018 draft. For all comparison purpose to Lafrenière's 2016-2017 season, the relevant Veleno's year is 2014-2015.

Veleno
2014-2015 41 gp 16-36-52 1.27 ppg

Lafrenière
2016-2017 7 gp 5-12-17 3.4 ppg

Of course Lafrenière pace won't hold up as it would break the league record (interestingly, the top 3 are busts and #4 and 5 are Yanic Perreault and Mario Lemieux), but it will be interesting to see how he holds up. He's also dominating his team point wise (7 points ahead) while Veleno was 2nd behind Brushett.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Lafrenière is 21 months younger and eligible for the 2020 draft while Veleno is 2018 draft. For all comparison purpose to Lafrenière's 2016-2017 season, the relevant Veleno's year is 2014-2015.

Veleno
2014-2015 41 gp 16-36-52 1.27 ppg

Lafrenière
2016-2017 7 gp 5-12-17 3.4 ppg

Of course Lafrenière pace won't hold up as it would break the league record (interestingly, the top 3 are busts and #4 and 5 are Yanic Perreault and Mario Lemieux), but it will be interesting to see how he holds up. He's also dominating his team point wise (7 points ahead) while Veleno was 2nd behind Brushett.

In Midget AAA and Junior ages, they're consided a year apart. Lafrenière is in his normal QMJHL draft year while Veleno was selected a year early.

So Veleno's 15 yo season was last year in the QMJHL and Lafrenière's 15 yo season is this year in Midget AAA.

His whole life Lafrenière has played equally with the 2001 age group.

I'm not saying Lafrenière isn't great, just that he isn't an underager in MAAA and won't be an underager in the Q like Veleno.

Last edited:

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Stop talking about month. At hockey, it's the birth year. So 2016-2017 of Lafrenière is the 2015-2016 of Veleno.

Veleno was in the Q, so don't compare him with Lafrenière anyway.

And points.... we don't care about points, teammates are a too much big impact (influence) on the points that a guy can make.

Veleno was really great (and still great).
Lafrenière is great.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

This kid is pretty good eh? How does he compare to other top prospects from the Q region, or Eastern Canada as a whole?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Damn this kid is out prodicing phenoms Parent and Poulin, and is a rookie while those 2 both played up last year, late bday too.....

Has anyone been watching these players? Interested to see what they've been looking like aside from the stats.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
At the same age (last season), Veleno was playing in the QMJHL.

does not matter how a guy takes the route to being good...Look at guys like Patrice Bergeron, the guy played AAA bantam as an older player when he got drafted.

To me Veleno is not that impressive, he is good but not amazing he has the skills but every time i see him i am under whelmed by what i see, i see a good player but not a guy taking a run for 1st overall next year....lafreniere has the ability to be a great player, as someone said before he reminds me of a young Patrick Marleau

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
does not matter how a guy takes the route to being good...Look at guys like Patrice Bergeron, the guy played AAA bantam as an older player when he got drafted.

To me Veleno is not that impressive, he is good but not amazing he has the skills but every time i see him i am under whelmed by what i see, i see a good player but not a guy taking a run for 1st overall next year....lafreniere has the ability to be a great player, as someone said before he reminds me of a young Patrick Marleau

Their skating styles are unbelievably similar and that's saying something because at age 37 Marleau is still one of the best skaters in the league.

If this kid's Hockey sense matches his skating, he's going to be quite a player.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

How do you see Lafreniere compared to other top prospects from the Q region, or Eastern Canada as a whole? What type of upside are we talking here?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

I was only mentioning Veleno played his last Midget AAA season as an underager. That's all, I didn't want to start a debate about who's better between the two. Lafrenière looks like the real deal.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
3+1 so far today and up to 40 points in 19 games.

I cannot remember a rookie or 15 year old player putting up these kind of numbers in QMAAA.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
How do you see Lafreniere compared to other top prospects from the Q region, or Eastern Canada as a whole? What type of upside are we talking here?

It looks like Lafrenière may be the top prospect coming out of the Q in quite some time, perhaps since Crosby. He has 46 pts in 20 games as a rookie in Midget AAA and has surpassed guys like Xavier Parent and Samuel Poulin as the top Q pick for this season.

Some are saying he is better than Veleno.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the QMJHL next year. Since he's a late birthday he will have 3 full seasons to destroy the league before the 2020 NHL draft. We will see how he does then.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
It looks like Lafrenière may be the top prospect coming out of the Q in quite some time, perhaps since Crosby. He has 46 pts in 20 games as a rookie in Midget AAA and has surpassed guys like Xavier Parent and Samuel Poulin as the top Q pick for this season.

Some are saying he is better than Veleno.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the QMJHL next year. Since he's a late birthday he will have 3 full seasons to destroy the league before the 2020 NHL draft. We will see how he does then.

I was a big fan of Veleno in midget. Loved his poise and vision but Lafrenière very well may be the better player.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
2 more goals today. He has now 48 pts in 21 games.

In a 2-1 win nonetheless, and like others said against 2 other top prospects. Have to assume he is the runaway #1 pick in the Q draft if his plan is the CHL.

Does anyone know if he is committed to the Q route or is NCAA a possibility?

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
At this point, despite missing 4 games in an already short season, he is running away with the scoring title and he is on a better PPG pace at age 15 than anybody else in the last years. Unless there is a catastrophe , he'll be the no 1 pick.

Now I wonder where he stands against the best players to enter the QMJHL after Crosby.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
At this point, despite missing 4 games in an already short season, he is running away with the scoring title and he is on a better PPG pace at age 15 than anybody else in the last years. Unless there is a catastrophe , he'll be the no 1 pick.

Now I wonder where he stands against the best players to enter the QMJHL after Crosby.

Remember when Jonathan Drouin was 16 and decided to play half a season in Midget AAA before making the jump to Halifax? He obviously killed the league with 53 pts in 22 games.

Lafrenière has 48 pts in 21 games. He is one year younger and he is a rookie! Drouin as a rookie had 58 pts in 38 games. Says a lot.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Another thing to consider is that neither Parent nor Poulin have disappointed this year. They would both be strong number 1 picks in any other QMJHL draft year.

It is just that Lafrenière is having a season for the ages (as a late birthday).

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Also impressive is that Lafreniere is doing this by himself, it's not like there's a duo.

Crazy pace, one thing I wonder is the age of players in the league back when Drouin and veleno played, leagues getting younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad