F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Unrelated but curious, is Xavier a common French Canadian name or is it just coincidence there are two prospects with the name?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
He reminds me a lot of Henrik Zetterberg and Brad Marchand without the dirty side.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Got to watch him live against Halifax a couple days ago.

Rimouski couldn't get anything going all game long offensively, so it might not be the best of games to judge him. I wasn't particularly impressed with him on that given night. I think he had one or two scoring chances, but overall he didn't really catch my attention.

I don't know if it's because Rimouski had to play catch up essentially all game long, but I noticed him cherry-picking in the neutral zone a few times... A bit too often to my taste if I'm being honest. He also had a few very long shifts (1:30+ minutes at ES) where he was costing his team more than he was helping on the ice.

Again, this is only one game, but as I walked in, I was expecting someone up there with the Lecavalier, Crosby and Richards. As I walked out, needless to say my opinion was changed a tad. I saw a ton of Crosby in junior, and the two aren't even comparable. To be fair to Lafrennire, he's not someone that really pops up whenever he's on the ice. He doesn't have the kind of skating explosiveness a McDavid or a Crosby had in junior that made them a threat whenever they had the puck on their stick. His best attribute, from what I saw, were his hands, which allowed him to work his way in tight around the net a couple times. If I had to compare him to an NHL player right now, I'd guess maybe Tavares.

Also, he plays a bit of an odd role on Rimouski's PP. In that game, he was the one screening the goalie and looking for tip ins. Not exactly the best of positions to showcase his shot or playmaking ability, which might explain why his PP goals total is so low.

Best players on the ice that night were Zadina, Somppi and Durandeau. Lavoie was quite impressive as well. From Rimouski, I liked Nadeau's hustle on the puck, but as I said earlier, they really couldn't get anything going all night long. They generally lacked cohesion and looked behind the play. Halifax just looked bigger, faster and stronger, and their talent level was generally superior as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Index

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Got to watch him live against Halifax a couple days ago.

Rimouski couldn't get anything going all game long offensively, so it might not be the best of games to judge him. I wasn't particularly impressed with him on that given night. I think he had one or two scoring chances, but overall he didn't really catch my attention.

I don't know if it's because Rimouski had to play catch up essentially all game long, but I noticed him cherry-picking in the neutral zone a few times... A bit too often to my taste if I'm being honest. He also had a few very long shifts (1:30+ minutes at ES) where he was costing his team more than he was helping on the ice.

Again, this is only one game, but as I walked in, I was expecting someone up there with the Lecavalier, Crosby and Richards. As I walked out, needless to say my opinion was changed a tad. I saw a ton of Crosby in junior, and the two aren't even comparable. To be fair to Lafrennire, he's not someone that really pops up whenever he's on the ice. He doesn't have the kind of skating explosiveness a McDavid or a Crosby had in junior that made them a threat whenever they had the puck on their stick. His best attribute, from what I saw, were his hands, which allowed him to work his way in tight around the net a couple times. If I had to compare him to an NHL player right now, I'd guess maybe Tavares.

Also, he plays a bit of an odd role on Rimouski's PP. In that game, he was the one screening the goalie and looking for tip ins. Not exactly the best of positions to showcase his shot or playmaking ability, which might explain why his PP goals total is so low.

Best players on the ice that night were Zadina, Somppi and Durandeau. Lavoie was quite impressive as well. From Rimouski, I liked Nadeau's hustle on the puck, but as I said earlier, they really couldn't get anything going all night long. They generally lacked cohesion and looked behind the play. Halifax just looked bigger, faster and stronger, and their talent level was generally superior as well.

That means: Bubble has broken? He is only "very good prospect"? Not "The Next One"?

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I don’t have access to his games, but from the highlight pack I saw of him he seems exceptionally steady. Not really dynamic, but he has an accurate shot, good hands, great vision and a nose for the net. A lot of his goals seem to be scored in tight or in front of the net. One thing I am curious about is his edgework. There were a few plays there where he looked to move with great balance and power. Could he be similar to Crosby in that regard?

Anyway, like I said I have had limited viewing so take what I say with a grain of salt, however I hope I was able to get somewhat of a good idea about his game. I believe someone uploaded a long shift by shift video of him back in the fall. I’ll probably give that a watch as it will probably showcase his vision more.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
wont dazzle but Kid is super effective
incredible hockey sense
creates scoring plays out of limited options
always in the right position
would be #1 overall in 2019 let alone 2020 and top 5 in 2018

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Seems like a lot of praise for someone who has just seen his highlight packages. Players look great in all their highlights.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That means: Bubble has broken? He is only "very good prospect"? Not "The Next One"?

As I said, it's one game where his team couldn't get anything going.

These are only my first impressions. His numbers are still eye popping. And at the end of the day, he's still a rookie.

I don't think I ever referred to him as the next anything. A very good prospect that could end up going 1st overall, that he is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
wont dazzle but Kid is super effective
incredible hockey sense
creates scoring plays out of limited options
always in the right position
would be #1 overall in 2019 let alone 2020 and top 5 in 2018
I think he'd be a clear 2nd behind Jack Hughes in 2019. Hughes still has the potential of being a center and has also played ridiculously well at every major event he's been a part of. Hughes dominated the U-17 challenge when they were both there. Hughes had the stronger team, as the USA u-17's this year are stacked, but its not like Lafrienere played on a weak team. Canada Red had Byram (probably the best defender in 2019) plus Suzuki (top OHL kid), Krebs (highly touted WHLer likely a top 15 pick) and Dylan Cozens (highly touted WHLer top 15 pick).

As for 2020, he's pretty clearly the front runner and it will be hard for anyone to gain on him if he keeps this up. But, most of the industry has no real read on the rest of the class, as about 2/3's of the NA draft class is in minor-midget or midget depending on the region they play in.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Lafreniere is already one of the best player in the Q at 16 years old, I can't imagine how dominant he will be at 18 years old, being born in october maybe he could do like Matthews and play his last year in a league like NLA. I might just be too good for the league, there will also be some nice amount of money on the table which makes it further enticing.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I was listening to THN Podcast and they seemed to think Byfeild would go #1 in 2020. I’m not sure if anyone can catch up to Alexis, but this draft seems pretty deep right now.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lafreniere is already one of the best player in the Q at 16 years old, I can't imagine how dominant he will be at 18 years old, being born in october maybe he could do like Matthews and play his last year in a league like NLA. I might just be too good for the league, there will also be some nice amount of money on the table which makes it further enticing.
He won't leave the CHL, they have his transfer papers and getting out of those as a Canadian player is a nightmare. He's signed for 4 years bearing the NHL "buying-out" his contract. Matthews was a unique situation. The NLA also made him wait until he turned 18, which is much later for Lafreniere.

There's a reason no one has taken this path as a Canadian player. If it was a realistic option, we would have seen it with Canadian players post draft or Tavares.

Reactions: Dodospice

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
overtime winner tonight
plusd assist, in on 2/3 goals

forget 2020 he would be #2 in this years draft

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He won't leave the CHL, they have his transfer papers and getting out of those as a Canadian player is a nightmare. He's signed for 4 years bearing the NHL "buying-out" his contract. Matthews was a unique situation. The NLA also made him wait until he turned 18, which is much later for Lafreniere.

There's a reason no one has taken this path as a Canadian player. If it was a realistic option, we would have seen it with Canadian players post draft or Tavares.
The other thing is he has a team, Matthews didn't have a team he was leaving and he needed somewhere to play. Most people don't understand just how unique Matthews' situation was. Rimouski is going to be pretty good with him there, can't see Lafrenière just up and leave them to go play somewhere else.

Reactions: 99664987

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
This kid is something special.

Was watching him against the Mooseheads and he was stealing the show. I was astounded he was not draft eligible for another year.

Zadina was who I went to scout, but this guy? WHOOOOOO

Xavier Parent for the Moose also caught my eye more than Zadina. not draft eligible either but I suspect he will explode next year for the moose

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
This kid is something special.

Was watching him against the Mooseheads and he was stealing the show. I was astounded he was not draft eligible for another year.

Zadina was who I went to scout, but this guy? WHOOOOOO

Xavier Parent for the Moose also caught my eye more than Zadina. not draft eligible either but I suspect he will explode next year for the moose

Another year? Make it 2, he will get drafted in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->