F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
How does his skating compare to the last 11 first overall forwards picked.

Crosby
Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
Mackinon
McDavid
Matthews
Hirschier

better or worse then most of these guys in terms of skating?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
How does his skating compare to the last 11 first overall forwards picked.

Crosby
Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
Mackinon
McDavid
Matthews
Hirschier

better or worse then most of these guys in terms of skating?
i would say he is on par with Matthews as a skater...but like I said above his whole game style and way he plays is so much like Vincent Lecavalier even his skating reminds me of Lecavalier.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Crosby was actually older. Sid only played in the Q for his 16 and 17 year old seasons while Lafreniere turned 16 after the start of this season. Because of birthdates there is still 2 more drafts until Lafreniere is eligible, Crosby was playing for Shattucks 2 drafts before he was eligible

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Crosby was actually older. Sid only played in the Q for his 16 and 17 year old seasons while Lafreniere turned 16 after the start of this season. Because of birthdates there is still 2 more drafts until Lafreniere is eligible, Crosby was playing for Shattucks 2 drafts before he was eligible

You are right, mixed up the years. Crosby obviously didn't play in the Q in his draft-2 season.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It doesn't make much difference in terms of minor and junior hockey. Lafrenière is playing with his age group, the age group he has always played with and against. He's not an underager. Crosby was only 2 months older in his first QMJHL season. McDavid was 3 months younger and he was an underager.

The difference is that Lafrenière will have to play another year of junior. He's not on Crosby or McDavid level, but close!

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Guy is scoring at the same pace as Zadina who should go #2 or #3 overall in June yet he won't be drafted for another 2.5 years. This is absolutely insane. He could potentially have a 150+pts season in 2019-2020.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His numbers are better then Mcdavids so far.
I guess if you want to go by draft year and not birth year. McDavid's 16 year old year was superior to Lafreniere's current season.

If you want to compare by draft year, its probably better to look at guys like Taylor Hall, Nolan Patrick, Sam Reinhart, and John Tavares who were late birthdays, and played their draft -2 at 16.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Guy is scoring at the same pace as Zadina who should go #2 or #3 overall in June yet he won't be drafted for another 2.5 years. This is absolutely insane. He could potentially have a 150+pts season in 2019-2020.

Or 200. Dont be over-hyped. There was talks, that Tavares will score 100 goals in OHL. Never happened. Actually, his scoring went down after his amazing 72-goal season.
Could also be by this guy.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Saw him play live the other day. What impressed me the most was his smarts and patience. He played a VERY mature game for his age. He would enter the zone, slow down, let the play develop and find an open teammate. No flashy risky dangles, no behind the back passes, no "strictly" individual plays. He plays smart, VERY smart. Amazing instincts and vision. He got two assists.

Not as explosive as Crosby was at his age, but his game is more "rounded". Don't think the skill level is close to the same, but I really like the kid. It was only one game, but it was mighty impressive. I think he could end up in the Tavares/Stamkos class. Top 10 player in the NHL, but not a generational talent.

BTW, what's up with Rimouski getting all the Q phenoms :laugh:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Saw him play live the other day. What impressed me the most was his smarts and patience. He played a VERY mature game for his age. He would enter the zone, slow down, let the play develop and find an open teammate. No flashy risky dangles, no behind the back passes, no "strictly" individual plays. He plays smart, VERY smart. Amazing instincts and vision. He got two assists.

Not as explosive as Crosby was at his age, but his game is more "rounded". Don't think the skill level is close to the same, but I really like the kid. It was only one game, but it was mighty impressive. I think he could end up in the Tavares/Stamkos class. Top 10 player in the NHL, but not a generational talent.

BTW, what's up with Rimouski getting all the Q phenoms :laugh:

Different eras, different stories.

Lecavalier, they rigged the draft. Lecavalier told all teams (but Rimouski) he would not play in the Q. The draft that year was in Rimouski and they had the 4th overall. They hid Lecavalier in their building. When they called his name 4th overall, he came up to the stage. Movie kind of story but true. They did the same thing with Brad Richards the year after. :laugh:

Crosby, they sold all their good players the year before in order to make sure they would have the last place and first pick. There was no lottery then.

Lafrenière, they got lucky. They finished 3rd from last but it was the first year the league did a lottery with the 5 last teams in the standings. They didn't have the best odds but they won the lottery.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I was able to watch him play live for the first time yesterday in Halifax. He is a completely different type of player then I expected.

He (and the rest of Rimouski) were pretty invisible in the first period. Halifax jumped out to a 5-1 lead.

The 2nd and 3rd period were a different story. What surprised me the most was his ability to get into the scoring areas in front of the net and his overall compete level. He was great with the puck and you could tell he had great vision but the way he was always driving to the net without the puck impressed me.

I would make a point of following him and not the puck and he was great at making a pass and then making a quick move to shake his defenseman and head to the net (which resulted in his 2nd goal of the game/game tying goal when he shook off McIssac). Halifax eventually won in OT.

I was also impressed with his chipiness. Off puck several times he was giving small chops against the back of the legs and was not afraid to mix it up as well.

To think he has at least a minimum of 2 more years in the Q after this year with his current size I can see him being an absolute force. He at least for this game didnt have the game breaking speed or stick handling compared to a prospect like Drouin but the rest of his game was what caught my eye.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I was able to watch him play live for the first time yesterday in Halifax. He is a completely different type of player then I expected.

He (and the rest of Rimouski) were pretty invisible in the first period. Halifax jumped out to a 5-1 lead.

The 2nd and 3rd period were a different story. What surprised me the most was his ability to get into the scoring areas in front of the net and his overall compete level. He was great with the puck and you could tell he had great vision but the way he was always driving to the net without the puck impressed me.

I would make a point of following him and not the puck and he was great at making a pass and then making a quick move to shake his defenseman and head to the net (which resulted in his 2nd goal of the game/game tying goal when he shook off McIssac). Halifax eventually won in OT.

I was also impressed with his chipiness. Off puck several times he was giving small chops against the back of the legs and was not afraid to mix it up as well.

To think he has at least a minimum of 2 more years in the Q after this year with his current size I can see him being an absolute force. He at least for this game didnt have the game breaking speed or stick handling compared to a prospect like Drouin but the rest of his game was what caught my eye.

Yeah, I got to see him twice this long weekend and both games it was the same, reminds me a bit of Tavares at that age. 20 goals in his past 21 games.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
According to my software the season he is having right now is equivalent to a 60-60-72-132 season on his draft eligible year (with equivalent linemates), could be more if he were to be playing with better ones, with good linemates (just good, not very good ones) on his draft eligible year it would be equivalent to 60-62-80-142 season.

Reactions: 99664987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad