Confirmed with Link: Ehlers extension: 7 years, $6M AAV

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Actually, 30 GMs just breathed a sigh of relief as the market stabilizes, slightly.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
What a fantastic deal. Jesus. Looks like Chevy just gave the market a sensible baseline for similar contracts (hopefully Nylander!)

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Can someone do a photoshop of Chevy's grinning face on Steve Austin/Lee Majors body? I'm redubbing him the Six Million Dollar Man due to the Scheif and Ehlers contracts
Brilliant:bb:

Those 2 contracts are going to be the envy of every GM in the league. As some others have mentioned maybe these guys just think 6 million is OK money and want to play with this team. Chevy and his bionic pen,

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Now, within the next year and a half, lock up Laine, Wheeler, Morrisey, Poolman and either lock up Trouba, or trade him.
Potential dynasty?

lets win a playoff game first but yeah if we can get Laine, Trouba and Morrissey locked up then yeah.

Wheeler excellent but due to age and (understandably) probably wanting a big pay increase I'd put him after the other 3.

If Poolman is so good that he needs to be locked up well thats just a good problem to have.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
What a fantastic deal. Jesus. Looks like Chevy just gave the market a sensible baseline for similar contracts (hopefully Nylander!)

Nylander is about as close a comparable to Ehlers as there is, Lou is probably finishing the touches on an exact replica of the Ehlers contract for Willy to sign by end of day today.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Ehlers signing the extension before his ELC is up is highly unusual.
The only non-first-overall picks who have done that recently are Eichel and Landeskog (who was captain at the time). (edit: and Klefbom, that's a weird one)

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
over on the leaf boards they have their own thread on this signing and comparing it to a nylander signing. consensus is nylander will get more because he has a higher ceiling than ehlers.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Now, within the next year and a half, lock up Laine, Wheeler, Morrisey, Poolman and either lock up Trouba, or trade him.
Potential dynasty?

I think that if there was ever a shot at one, in todays capped era, Chevy is giving us the best opportunity to become one with the Scheif, Little, Ehlers, Buff and Perreault contracts he inked. Could you imaging the types of cherries Chevy could put on the top of this group should the cap rise lets say 5 to 6 million over the next 5 years.

Chevy gets an A+ this offseason/preseason, what a masterful job of managing our cap.

kxx

Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I like Chevy except for his decision to keep Maurice employed (prove me wrong this year, please).

I didn't like Hendricks, didn't like Stanley trade up etc but overall (at least last few years I've been following closely) there haven't been disgusting future ruining contracts / trades. Very sensible. And then he gets awesome contracts like this. Not sure if he had a crystal ball for Scheifele working again because Scheifele's contract is absurd.

Even Kulikov contract which I didn't like is ***** peanuts compared to what other GMs regularly do. Can deal with it.

This is such a good contract. For some reason I thought it was 6 x 7 which I didn't like too much (maybe just the optics of it). 7 x 6 though is perfect. despite being same amount total I like the extra year term and ANY improvement over Ehler's current play level is all just added value. He's easily worth 6 right now, assuming he improves this gets really into steal category.

kxx

Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
over on the leaf boards they have their own thread on this signing and comparing it to a nylander signing. consensus is nylander will get more because he has a higher ceiling than ehlers.

He might but if he doesn't make it obvious next year then I bet Lou is thanking Chevy for this.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Ehlers is the only guy who says he is "excited" or "super excited" during every interview... and I believe him. :laugh: Nik just has a true passion for the game. What wonderful news that we'll be able to watch him in a Jets uni for years to come.

There are probably multiple factors in how Chevy gets these solid deals done. The man is obviously a shrewd negotiator. The Scheifele deal was a strategic bet that is paying off. And there may actually be something to the "Winnipeg discount" idea. We fly under the radar a bit, a lot of our players are underrated, and don't have big sports media constantly pumping their tires.

I also believe that the TNSE loyalty, which is sometimes cause for concern, has also created a genuine sense of... respect? inclusion? family? that makes people want to play here. Especially those that have experienced it firsthand. You just never hear anything but positives on how TNSE treats their people.

Reactions: libertarian

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Very happy with this, like everyone else.
Anticipating cap inflation (roughly), Ehler's $6M AAV starting in '18/19 is likely the equivalent of ~$5.6M 16/17 dollars, so Ehlers fits in nicely under the Scheifele benchmark.
Others have pointed to the McDavid-Drais AAV of $21M, thinking we could fit Scheifele, Ehlers and Laine within that. True enough, but I am focused more on fitting in 4 of our top 6 players-- Scheifele, Little, Ehlers and Wheeler--in that ballpark, at < 23.5 AAV, and this helps us achieve that. Then Laine can look at those 4 other forwards, including his captain, his linemates-- a #1 C and his BFF--and decide just how much separation he wants.
Thank Scheifele, as it all started with him. Then thank Little, who set a bar for Wheeler. Ehlers followed, and Laine is watching. Morrissey gets it too.
Now, who's left ...lemmeeeseee....?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Nylander is about as close a comparable to Ehlers as there is, Lou is probably finishing the touches on an exact replica of the Ehlers contract for Willy to sign by end of day today.

Agreed. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Ehlers post 80 points this season. This deal is just going to be outrageous as soon as the end of this season when you look at other players around the league making 6 mil.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
i think his expansion draft wheeling and dealing really brought some cred with the players and perhaps within the league. Kept the team together without uprooting anyone. imagine if Perrault was sent to vegas after signing extension with wpg.

I think expansion draft really had an impact on dressing room dynamics on team like Ottawa.

I had a similar thought about the XD maneuvering Chevy did. Also factor in the extensions for Chevy and PoMo shows the club has a lot of stability, (assuming that both are well liked by the players). The contracts already signed by Schief and Little may have played a part in this as well. Better to be a part of an organization like this than one where personnel changes throughout the organization are always going on. And a financially sound ownership group.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I think that if there was ever a shot at one, in todays capped era, Chevy is giving us the best opportunity to become one with the Scheif, Little, Ehlers, Buff and Perreault contracts he inked. Could you imaging the types of cherries Chevy could put on the top of this group should the cap rise lets say 5 to 6 million over the next 5 years.

Chevy gets an A+ this offseason/preseason, what a masterful job of managing our cap.

I know it's way too premature to be talking about dynasty, for sure. But you have to think that the players we've already locked up are great signings. If we can lock up the rest that I mentioned, then we have a very unique situation where all our top six forwards and defense are here for a long time. That only leaves us to add and improve to our bottom 5 or six. With the depth we have coming up, we may not need to wade into free agency. But we have the extra cap space if we feel we need to.
The key is coaching. I'm hoping Paul can show he's the man that can take this team to the next level.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Let me just add this. We lock up Laine and Trouba to long term deals, and we make some noise in the playoffs this season, we won't have any problems signing high profile free agents to short term contracts.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Great contract and a great extention! The Jets keep the cap structure for forwards with Scheifele at the top

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Brilliant:bb:

Those 2 contracts are going to be the envy of every GM in the league. As some others have mentioned maybe these guys just think 6 million is OK money and want to play with this team. Chevy and his bionic pen,

From a particular perspective six million dollars goes an awful lot farther in a market like Winnipeg than it would in Toronto or Vancouver. Those players may or may not choose to settle in Winnipeg later on vis a vis Steen but it's quite unlikely. At the end of the day though if they want to move to Vancouver they'll have banked more than enough money to do so. When all is said and done Ehlers and Scheifele will likely make around $100 million +/- over their careers. If that can't carry you then the problem is all your own.

Bloody fabulous signing by Chevy, providing some sanity to the market. $42 is likely less than Ehlers could have got but maybe some of these guys think enough is good enough, it doesn't always have to be more. Keep drafting the "high character" kids Chevy they seem to get more than just hockey.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I think these contracts also reflect the quality of organization in general. Everything I've heard through the "grapevine" has been extremely positive including the players relationship with Maurice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad