Confirmed with Link: Ehlers extension: 7 years, $6M AAV

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Holy ****! Very nice. Me like. Good job, Chevy. I look forward to watching Ehlers for the next seven years (barring a trade).

:yo:

Reactions: mazmin

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Excellent job Chevy. I'm happy with this deal. Great term and caphit. Yet another extension that comes in under my projection.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Solid deal! If he's 70 point player for the bulk of those years then Jets are in a great situation.

Scheifele, Little and Ehlers for under $18M is incredible value. Jets will need to pinch every penny when Laine eventually requires $10M/year.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
This is awesome! What a great signing. So glad we'll have him for a long time to come.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
How does Chevy continue to do this?!

If/when Ehlers cracks 75-85 points, which could likely be this year, this contract is an ABSOLUTE steal. Even if he just continues the production he put up last year, damn good contract.

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Ehlers signing the extension before his ELC is up is highly unusual.
The only non-first-overall picks who have done that recently are Eichel and Landeskog (who was captain at the time). (edit: and Klefbom, that's a weird one)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Chevy on Q...... he sure likes to have a signing announcement on days he is scheduled to speak to the media.

Nice news to wake up to :handclap:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How does Chevy continue to do this?!

If/when Ehlers cracks 75-85 points, which could likely be this year, this contract is an ABSOLUTE steal...

He doesn't get near the credit he deserves for his negotiation skills. He tends to get his core guys inked to value deals on a regular basis unlike a certain GM in Edmonton.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is outstanding!

Ehlers and Laine are very close. I expect that having Ehlers around will make it easier to sign Laine long-term.

The franchise's future is looking bright!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Great news! The Jets have a TONNE of RFA's next year, so getting a few done early is great.

Still have Lowry, Armia, Dano, Petan, Trouba, Poolman, Morrissey, and Hellybucyk to do next summer.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Solid deal! If he's 70 point player for the bulk of those years then Jets are in a great situation.

Scheifele, Little and Ehlers for under $18M is incredible value. Jets will need to pinch every penny when Laine eventually requires $10M/year.

Hopefully, Laine gives a decent home town discount like everyone else.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So nothing official from the Jets but they gave the scoop to their own guy at JetsTV?

Something odd about "self" journalism that seems to be invading the sportsworld.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Is this seven years after expiry of the ELC? So we have him locked up for 8 years total? Or 7 years total counting this year?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
This is outstanding!

Ehlers and Laine are very close. I expect that having Ehlers around will make it easier to sign Laine long-term.

The franchise's future is looking bright!

Why would Laine be difficult to sign?

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Great deal...I wonder if the Trouba holdout fiasco is actually working in Chevy's favour now. He can tell these top RFA's that he is still buying 4 RFA years on any long term contract and he will not pay market value for those years. Players are welcome to force his hand by holding out, but are likely to loose in the end, as Trouba did.

Regardless of the reason below-market contracts for key players appears to be a strength of Chevy's...now if we could only get him to properly assess bottom-six talent...:naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Great deal...I wonder if the Trouba holdout fiasco is actually working in Chevy's favour now. He can tell these top RFA's that he is still buying 4 RFA years on any long term contract and he will not pay market value for those years. Players are welcome to force his hand by holding out, but are likely to loose in the end, as Trouba did.

Regardless of the reason below-market contracts for key players appears to be a strength of Chevy's...now if we could only get him to properly assess bottom-six talent...:naughty:

All we need now is a Trouba extension.

What's wrong with the bottom-6? I kinda like Lowry, Armia, Copp, Dano, Matthias and Petan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad