Confirmed with Link: Ehlers extension: 7 years, $6M AAV

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Love hearing stuff like this. Who wants to bet Laine comes in below market value next off season?
I'm thinking everyone one of our core guys (Laine, Morrissey, Wheeler) come in lower than expected. Trouba is the lone guy I see going for as much as he can!

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
How can people say Chevy is a bad GM, yes he may not have made many moves in the past and for good reason due to people wanting more money to come here and not wanting to stay. But Chevy has arguably one of the best scouting teams in the league and gets amazing steal of deals like this and Scheifeles done(those deals make up for Buffs and Little's IMO).

Such a good deal, I think Ehlers is worth Around a Million more at his stage and could had gotten more than that if he where to wait it out.

Last edited:

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Love this, proves that when players get the opportunity to play in Winnipeg they realize just how special of a place it is and this signing plus Little's signing confirms that.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
This makes me so happy!!! Glad that I was proved right in thinking he would take a hometown discount (was hoping for 8 years but can live with 7). I think we all need to get together a buy Scheifele a nice bottle of champagne. This doesn't happen without his contract. It's hard to argue you should be paid more than the most productive player on your team :laugh:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Some quotes from his chat this morning:

Why he wanted to stay long term: “This team, this organization, this city, everything. From day 1 I was happy here. Everybody helped me getting settled from the start. Its amazing playing in front of all these fans. Winnipeg as a city is amazing. They love their hockey. I could not see any reason to not want to stay here for long term.”

Why he wanted to get the deal done before season: “I didn’t want to worry about it during the season. If it was gonna come out there was gonna be a lot of talk and I didn’t want that. Not for me, not for the team, not for the organization. They wanted that as well so I’m glad we got it done before the season started.”

You can listen to his full scrum here.

Reactions: thereturn

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Let's go!!!

Even if the current build doesn't work out there's so much flexibility for the future with these long term signings

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
That's a damn good deal. Chevy did a good job here. Nylander and Leafs fans have their comparable now.

Idk man I doubt that, it's hard to find a young player who just put up over twenty-sum goals and sixty plus points and expect them to take 6m per season. I'd expect Nylander to bite at around 6.6m - 7.2m

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff scrum topics: Why was it important to get the deal done before the season began? Why did seven years make the most sense? On the message (locking up another player long term) it sends to the group. How happy is he about the number he got Ehlers at? On how this and the Scheifele contract set the Jets up for the future.

To listen click here.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
In Vancouver this week. The media here are excited about the Pouliot trad and Virtanen's camp. I believe Pouliot was taken a spot ahead of Trouba?

Its stunning to think of how much more fortunate the Jets are.

I was actually scoffing the other day at how Chevy lucked out getting some of these guys at the draft table.

But..

He deserves an enormous amount of credit for these contracts. He has done an A plus job.

This young core is sure motivated to win together...

How can Trouba actually find a better situation for himself than the one he is in now?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Say what you will about Chevy, but after a shaky start (Pavelec, Clitsome, Stuart) he's done a consistently good job of signing excellent players to fair-bordering-on-steals of deals.

Great signing. Hope the magic continues with Laine and Trouba.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
i think his expansion draft wheeling and dealing really brought some cred with the players and perhaps within the league. Kept the team together without uprooting anyone. imagine if Perrault was sent to vegas after signing extension with wpg.

I think expansion draft really had an impact on dressing room dynamics on team like Ottawa.

Reactions: libertarian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad