Confirmed with Link: Ehlers extension: 7 years, $6M AAV

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
No, seriously. How does Chevy do this? :huh:

I may have issues with some of his decisions, but I have no issues with most of his contracts: Perreault, Scheifele, Wheels, Little (x2), Buff, and now Ehlers. I think he has material on them, or something.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
the only negative:
the shadow that Trouba's status casts on this team.
i mean, it was a given that he'd play out this season and negotiate after, but still...

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Perreault, Scheifele, Wheels, Little (x2), Buff, and now Ehlers. I think he has material on them, or something.

From Chevy's top secret negotiating files:

pat-nik-furry.jpg

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Scheifele: "I like where this team is at and am excited about the future with these guys."
Little: "I've played here up to this point and want to see us finish what we started."
Ehlers: "I love playing here, I love the fit, I love the city."
Trouba: sits at a booth at Stella's, stacks creamers into a pyramid and giggles to himself

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
How many beauty contracts does Chevy have to sign before everyone gives up on the "no one wants to live in Winnipeg" or "Winnipeg tax" shtick?

So excited to watch our going core sign long term and ensure success for years to come!

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Great contract. I was expexting a lot closer to Draisatl.

This is fantastic.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
So 8 years, $9M AAV for Laine next year? Compared to his mates like Ehlers, Scheifele and Barkov, it could be more than enough.

Could a shorter contract make more sense? 6 years 7.5M AAV or something (I'm new to thinking about contracts). Would open up quite a bit of space for other signings, 6 years to aim for cup, lets Laine cash another big contract.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
My theory - Chevy sits down with the players themselves at some point and shows examples around the league of teams cutting their arms off with these big contracts, then asks the guys if they want to get paid or if they want to win. If so, our guys clearly value winning over an extra 6-8 million dollars.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
So 8 years, $9M AAV for Laine next year? Compared to his mates like Ehlers, Scheifele and Barkov, it could be more than enough.

Nahhhhh I don't think so. We're counting on a bit of improvment/realization of upside, but I think you're going to look at that comment a little later this season sheepishly. All indications are Ehlers has stepped into the next level. This is very similar to Scheifele making his signing before exploding. Eerily similar.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Ehlers is the only guy who says he is "excited" or "super excited" during every interview... and I believe him. :laugh: Nik just has a true passion for the game. What wonderful news that we'll be able to watch him in a Jets uni for years to come.

There are probably multiple factors in how Chevy gets these solid deals done. The man is obviously a shrewd negotiator. The Scheifele deal was a strategic bet that is paying off. And there may actually be something to the "Winnipeg discount" idea. We fly under the radar a bit, a lot of our players are underrated, and don't have big sports media constantly pumping their tires.

I also believe that the TNSE loyalty, which is sometimes cause for concern, has also created a genuine sense of... respect? inclusion? family? that makes people want to play here. Especially those that have experienced it firsthand. You just never hear anything but positives on how TNSE treats their people.

Well said Puckatron.

TNSE have been criticised for their loyalty to their management and players but loyalty buy them a lot of good will with their players which seem to mean they are willing to leave money on the table to stay. In todays cap world this can only help if you want a contending team year after year.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This was a really pleasant surprise when I heard the new break this morning on 1290. You could tell how jacked Rewucki was by the excitement in his voice at 8:30 in the news update. Well done Chevy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How many beauty contracts does Chevy have to sign before everyone gives up on the "no one wants to live in Winnipeg" or "Winnipeg tax" shtick?

So excited to watch our going core sign long term and ensure success for years to come!

The winnipwg tax I think is real when it comes to luring players here from outside the organization. Once players get here for the most part they really enjoy the experience.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This team wants to play together. I hope they get a cup together.

I agree with this but I don't agree that players are signing for under market or giving a discount. They are signing for bang on market value though, rather than trying to squeeze out over-payments. Chevy is doing well. I believe he kept Little's AAV down a bit by going 6 years instead of 5. Ehlers signing for 7 instead of 8 has the same effect. Difference between a player at the front end of his career vs one at the back end. Chevy is managing the cap and the players are cooperating by being reasonable, indicating that they want to stay here.

McDavid set the standard. I could argue that he is even a little high but he is the arriving next generational player so he sets the market. Eichel is at the next level for arriving young players. He just scored 57 pts in 61 games. When Scheifele was the same age he scored 34 in 63. Drai is just way over-payed. He is riding on McD's coattails. I don't think he shifts the market unless GM's go along with it.

These solid signings by Chevy give me a little more optimism that he gets Trouba done next off-season. I think Trouba's role was at least a big part of his issue last year. That has been dealt with. I also believe he will want to get paid. But as long as Chevy offers him market value, I think he will sign. Probably, maybe, I hope. :laugh:

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Couldn't be happier with the signing! So much for the media speculating we couldn't keep Ehlers for a reasonable cap hit and would have to trade him.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I agree with this but I don't agree that players are signing for under market or giving a discount. They are signing for bang on market value though, rather than trying to squeeze out over-payments. Chevy is doing well. I believe he kept Little's AAV down a bit by going 6 years instead of 5. Ehlers signing for 7 instead of 8 has the same effect. Difference between a player at the front end of his career vs one at the back end. Chevy is managing the cap and the players are cooperating by being reasonable, indicating that they want to stay here.

McDavid set the standard. I could argue that he is even a little high but he is the arriving next generational player so he sets the market. Eichel is at the next level for arriving young players. He just scored 57 pts in 61 games. When Scheifele was the same age he scored 34 in 63. Drai is just way over-payed. He is riding on McD's coattails. I don't think he shifts the market unless GM's go along with it.

These solid signings by Chevy give me a little more optimism that he gets Trouba done next off-season. I think Trouba's role was at least a big part of his issue last year. That has been dealt with. I also believe he will want to get paid. But as long as Chevy offers him market value, I think he will sign. Probably, maybe, I hope. :laugh:

Ehlers signed for one more year than Forsberg, so I would say it might be slightly below market.
Little's contract is wayyyyy below market value. Still can't believe those numbers. Less term AND less AAV than Ladd. Unreal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well said Puckatron.

TNSE have been criticised for their loyalty to their management and players but loyalty buy them a lot of good will with their players which seem to mean they are willing to leave money on the table to stay. In todays cap world this can only help if you want a contending team year after year.
I'll agree with this. TNSE gets a lot of flack for the loyalty it shows to its GM, to its coach and to its players but at times like these it gets paid back. IMO there is now more than enough evidence that players who already here want to stay here. Love having Nik in the fold long term.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
This is just amazing. Next 8 years are going to be a blast. Thank you Ehlers!

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Great signing of Ehlers for 7 years plus this season.

The Dashing Dane locked up for 8 seasons.

Josh Morresay is next up for 7 years at 4.1 mill.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
My theory - Chevy sits down with the players themselves at some point and shows examples around the league of teams cutting their arms off with these big contracts, then asks the guys if they want to get paid or if they want to win. If so, our guys clearly value winning over an extra 6-8 million dollars.

The most effective way for Chevy to prove he wants to win is to get a new coach. I'm surprised the players don't see that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad