ECQF: (2) Boston Bruins vs (3) Toronto Maple Leafs | Boston Leads Series 2-0 (Mod Warning #2718)

Who ya got?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
You never know how a series can go. Still have to win 4 games. Toronto is capable of winning a game so who knows. Playoffs can surprise as to who continues on. If you have goal tending, anything is possible. If you don't then winning is unlikely. Ottawa rode a hot goalie into a OT game vs the Pens.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
It's confusing for outsiders because Toronto fans will tell you, out of one side of their mouth, that Frederik Andersen in an elite goaltender and carried the team through much of the season then out of the other side of their mouth they will tell you how under-rated the Leafs defense is and how they don't need to make trades to patch up the D because Gardiner and friends are fine and players like Dermott are already the answer to what ails them.

Which begs the question, if the D is so good, how come Freddy had to carry the team so often and was peppered with 40+ shots and if Freddy is so good, who come he looks so bad?

If Toronto had made the McDonagh trade at the deadline, and then this off-season signed a top pairing D, they would be a serious contender in the East. They need two major pieces for their blueline. A serious contender can't be giving important minutes to Jake Gardiner and a serious contender shouldn't be icing guys like Polak and Zatisev at all.
Are you a Leafs fan (in Toronto)? I'm asking because it's rare to receive such a neutral, objective perspective on the Leafs (which is, by definition, critical and negative-sounding).

However, I don't agree with what you stated, subsequently: Even some neutral fans have said, 'they just need a 'shutdown' dman...' Imho, they need a number of changes, 'here and there' but obviously, defence is the priority and they can go from there.

The D 'was never good.' That's why I'm puzzled why more fans aren't criticizing Shanahan and LL, who were in charge of improvements but these *changes* were only minor, really. It's great that some of their prospects seem to be panning out but other teams have a good prospect pool, too. Even with Sweeney overlooking the guys he could have had (opted for DeBrusk), the Bruins still have a number of good, young players, a number who are with the big club now and playing against the Leafs.

If you want to say, 'they should have signed a top UFA dman or traded for McDonagh AND NOT signed Marleau', then I think you have something there. These big signings, you have salary contract consequences, so you need to be aware of the ramifications of when you commit to a big money player or contract. Many fans are saying the Leafs lack grit. They do. But, they also lack the building blocks or the vision of choosing raw talent and they have some good pieces. But, they had several years of poor D and they still haven't improved much there. Thus, one has to ask why isn't the criticism there?!? I know the media will only criticize so much because really the Leafs management are getting a free ride. Obviously, the entire team is not made for the playoffs but the D needed more changes than adding Hainsey and a Dermott.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Sweeney has some good scouting and recruitment among NCAA teams. I wonder if the Canadian GMs shouldn’t focus some on the NCAA to improve their prospect pool.

Krug was pre Sweeney but the Bruins rookies are mostly NCAA players and former captains of their teams. Sweeney’s ability to draft or recruit these players has been a highlight of his GMship.
Donato, Heinen, Bjork and Grzelcyk are all pre-Sweeney NCAA players.

Shouldn't you give credit to Chia ?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Are you a Leafs fan (in Toronto)? I'm asking because it's rare to receive such a neutral, objective perspective on the Leafs (which is, by definition, critical and negative-sounding).

However, I don't agree with what you stated, subsequently: Even some neutral fans have said, 'they just need a 'shutdown' dman...' Imho, they need a number of changes, 'here and there' but obviously, defence is the priority and they can go from there.

The D 'was never good.' That's why I'm puzzled why more fans aren't criticizing Shanahan and LL, who were in charge of improvements but these *changes* were only minor, really. It's great that some of their prospects seem to be panning out but other teams have a good prospect pool, too. Even with Sweeney overlooking the guys he could have had (opted for DeBrusk), the Bruins still have a number of good, young players, a number who are with the big club now and playing against the Leafs.

If you want to say, 'they should have signed a top UFA dman or traded for McDonagh AND NOT signed Marleau', then I think you have something there. These big signings, you have salary contract consequences, so you need to be aware of the ramifications of when you commit to a big money player or contract. Many fans are saying the Leafs lack grit. They do. But, they also lack the building blocks or the vision of choosing raw talent and they have some good pieces. But, they had several years of poor D and they still haven't improved much there. Thus, one has to ask why isn't the criticism there?!? I know the media will only criticize so much because really the Leafs management are getting a free ride. Obviously, the entire team is not made for the playoffs but the D needed more changes than adding Hainsey and a Dermott.
he isn't a leaf fan. he always talks shit about them and is never on the leaf boards. i think he's a habs fan that lives in toronto

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Pasta had a good game. Good for him. I take Matthews every single time ainec. Having said all that I prefer Nylander to pasta. I love Nylander's zone entries which are elite. I think in five years when The leafs are still good and the bruins rebuilding will see the reverse in production. Once nylander fills out a bit and becomes a man Nylander will be better. But hey, that's just my Opinion and I could be wrong.

I would Much Rather have am34, nylander, marner, rielly , kadri and andersen than the players you mentioned heck, I would rather just have Matthews than all of the players you mentioned as Matthews is just a nudge below MacDavid, easily will be the second best player of his generation. Not to mention our front office which I prefer. But, yeah, I guess that's why you're a bruins fan and I'm a leafs fan right?

In all due respect, your team is NOT what I thought it was and not what we have been told or have seen all year when we played you. You're inspired, fast, intimidating and mean. Respect
Bruins had (6) SIX rookies playing yesterday. Rebuilding lol, the tainted Canadian media feed you all the wrong info over and over. We tried telling you guys Sweeney was building on the fly and drafted excellent, we kept getting Barzal, Chabot Connor or White thrown in our face. Barzal - I give you oh well Bruins were helping the rest of the league out since they are doing very good in drafting and trading. They are very well set up to stay in the top part of the league for the next decade. They got the best coach available internally to turn it around and the vets are teaching the kids the right way, daily. Leadership like Chara, Backes, Miller, Bergeron and Rask are passing the torch to McAvoy, Carlo, DeBrusk, Heinen, Grezlcyk, Donato, Bjork. The next wave is being taught well in Providence by the former Devils players and team philosophy and will contribute in the said 5 years. Do not listen to us again but listen to the Leafs lunch guys or Mackenzie lol.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Donato, Heinen, Bjork and Grzelcyk are all pre-Sweeney NCAA players.

Shouldn't you give credit to Chia ?
Chia definitely had some pluses here but at the end of the day he did more harm than good. I'm not gunna toot his horn for having a few good picks when he butchered most of them during his tenure

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Well I am emotionally invested in my guys so there is that. I can admit it. A lot of people on here are not honest. I am especially with myself. Imagine if Nonis was allowed to do what he wanted and I am sitting here saying Ritchie is better? Yikes.

To the above poster, Sorry. I am getting quoted all over and am Losing track of who, what, when , where and how right now.
Just being honest but in the cap era you gotta learn to root for the laundry. Few teams can afford to keep all their players over time. You also can’t get too attached to prospects, young players.

But it’s also okay to like your team’s players better and Matthews isn’t going anywhere (unless the Leafs hire Chiarelli then all bets are off).

But I’ve seen many a Bruin I loved leave through trade or free agency. I root for those players when they play other teams.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
True but he's been successful in the past at playing it even against Bergeron's line, which is why Cassidy did everything he could to avoid that matchup in game 1.

His absence is going to especially hurt over the next two games when the Leafs don't have him there at home.

Who are they going to matchup against Bergeron at home? There's no one else who could do what Kadri could.

I highly doubt Marleau can play them even.

It's a massive loss.

And whose fault is it ?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't even understand what he said. Lol.

I love the image of a General Manager trying to decide if he wants Nylander or Pasternak and he decides on Pasta and then a member of his scouting staff is pulling his hair out screaming "but his zone entries are barely above league average and you've got Nylander who enters the zone at an elite level!"

I have heard the word "elite" thrown around here a lot over the years, but I've never heard it used for zone entries before. Classic HF.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Pastrnak played in the pros for two years before Mathews

One year really.

In 2012-2013, he only played 11 games in the Tier 2 Swedish League (AHL equivalent ?) + 5 games in a year-end tournament which included the 4 top teams of that Tier 2 league plus the bottom 2 teams of the Tier 1 League (SHL) to determine who would play in the SHL the following season.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I love the image of a General Manager trying to decide if he wants Nylander or Pasternak and he decides on Pasta and then a member of his scouting staff is pulling his hair out screaming "but his zone entries are barely above league average and you've got Nylander who enters the zone at an elite level!"

I have heard the word "elite" thrown around here a lot over the years, but I've never heard it used for zone entries before. Classic HF.

:laugh:

Man, I wonder what it is like to enter the zone at an elite level. I surely want to learn how to do that!

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Listen well... This is about who is the best player now... Not who had the most impressive path from junior or something similar. (And by the way, just to be precise, Matthews had a whole season in pro men's hockey before getting to NHL)

Now, about that... The ONLY sample and the LATEST sample where these two players (who are of similar age too: 1996 vs 1997) have been dwelling in the NHL at the same time, playing a similar amount of games and in a similar capacity (=as 1st line players) is 2016-17 and 2017-18.
In these two seasons, they played X games and produced Y points. By the nature of numbers, it's easy to establish who had BETTER numbers and the correct answer to that is PASTRNAK. Simple as that. What part of any of this is not factual?

PS: stick to speaking for yourself. You are no spokesperson for any "we".

We? You mean us? I used that word.

Yes us, usually when it's on our board you make yourself look bad but now it's us.

Pastrnak is doing better right now than Mathews but he's also not playing against Bergeron, quite the contrary in fact, which boosts what ends up happening on the ice quite a bit

Unless pasta gains a ton of leg and core strength and grows taller and gets faster, he's still not as physically talented as Mathews and likely won't put up the on ice impact and point totals that Mathews does

But if we're talking about our young core vs leafs core, or teams right now, I take both of our side every time. No need to exaggerate how good pasta is, they're completely different players btw. The only thing truly worth spending time on here is debunking the idea Nylander is as good or better than Pasta

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Chia definitely had some pluses here but at the end of the day he did more harm than good. I'm not gunna toot his horn for having a few good picks when he butchered most of them during his tenure
The poster I quoted appeared to believe that only Krug was a pre-Sweeney NCAA player.

I simply pointed out that most of them were from the Chia era.

I never would toot his horn, my wife wouldn't like me to do that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad