ECQF: (2) Boston Bruins vs (3) Toronto Maple Leafs | Boston Leads Series 2-0 (Mod Warning #2718)

Who ya got?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Sweeney has some good scouting and recruitment among NCAA teams. I wonder if the Canadian GMs shouldn’t focus some on the NCAA to improve their prospect pool.

Krug was pre Sweeney but the Bruins rookies are mostly NCAA players and former captains of their teams. Sweeney’s ability to draft or recruit these players has been a highlight of his GMship.

Krug signing with the Bruins was all Sweeney.

Sweeney tried to convince Chia to draft Krug in ( I want to say in '10 ) but Chia passed. Sweeney stayed in contact with Krug, formed a healthy rapport and relationship, and when Krug was ready to sign with an NHL team, went with the Bruins because of his connection with Sweeney, even ignoring his hometown team's attempts to sign him.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Donato, Heinen, Bjork and Grzelcyk are all pre-Sweeney NCAA players.

Shouldn't you give credit to Chia ?

Chia's main strength was his player to player relationships, which was forged during his time as a player agent.

Sweeney was brought up during his time in Bruin management as a player development and scouting guy. He oversaw the process and it's easy to see that scouting and drafting is his forte.

During his time as GM, Chia delegated the scouting and drafting process to others who's strengths were just that. Sweeney and Gretzky deserve more credit for the internal turnaround in drafting than Chia.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Chia's main strength was his player to player relationships, which was forged during his time as a player agent.

Sweeney was brought up during his time in Bruin management as a player development and scouting guy. He oversaw the process and it's easy to see that scouting and drafting is his forte.

During his time as GM, Chia delegated the scouting and drafting process to others who's strengths were just that. Sweeney and Gretzky deserve more credit for the internal turnaround in drafting than Chia.
In that case, Chia earns credit for not being too insecure to delegate...

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa

Chiarelli at least deserves some credit for knowing his weaknesses and hiring the right guys to right the ship there. I appreciate that he could see his weaknesses and hire guys that could fill that in. That being said I love what Sweeney is doing and wouldn't change anything right now.

Anyone claiming Pasta is better than Matthews is nuts, Matthews is going to be more important to his team for as long as he is in the NHL, but I still would prefer to have Pasta on my team, I just really love that guy he is such a likeable player.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Chiarelli at least deserves some credit for knowing his weaknesses and hiring the right guys to right the ship there. I appreciate that he could see his weaknesses and hire guys that could fill that in. That being said I love what Sweeney is doing and wouldn't change anything right now.

Anyone claiming Pasta is better than Matthews is nuts, Matthews is going to be more important to his team for as long as he is in the NHL, but I still would prefer to have Pasta on my team, I just really love that guy he is such a likeable player.

Well, a coach would like to have a player who can excel in the playoffs and regular season, not just the latter.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Well, a coach would like to have a player who can excel in the playoffs and regular season, not just the latter.
While I completely I agree with this I'll also accept that Boston't top line and D do a lot of the work and create a situation where Pasta can just play his game and doesn't have to fight so hard to get the puck and move it forward. Matthews is more of a one man force for the Leafs than Pasta is for the Bruins. All three of Boston's top line had at least 30 goals this year which means that you can't concentrate on any one player on the line. I'd like to think it is all Pasta doing the magic but it would be a lot easier for Matthews to put up points if he had guys like Marchand and Bergeron helping him out on his line.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
While I completely I agree with this I'll also accept that Boston't top line and D do a lot of the work and create a situation where Pasta can just play his game and doesn't have to fight so hard to get the puck and move it forward. Matthews is more of a one man force for the Leafs than Pasta is for the Bruins. All three of Boston's top line had at least 30 goals this year which means that you can't concentrate on any one player on the line. I'd like to think it is all Pasta doing the magic but it would be a lot easier for Matthews to put up points if he had guys like Marchand and Bergeron helping him out on his line.

Yeah, that makes sense.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Well that’s on the GM for failing to provide the support he needs.

Hockey is a team sport and even amazing, elite players can’t do it all. Leafs have some gifted forwards to complement Matthews but the defense needs a little upgrading/maturation.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Well that’s on the GM for failing to provide the support he needs.

Hockey is a team sport and even amazing, elite players can’t do it all. Leafs have some gifted forwards to complement Matthews but the defense needs a little upgrading/maturation.
I agree, but I will also note that 2 years ago they were terrible, in a short period of time they have done a lot to build the team that they have even if they have been rebuilding for a decade. I don't think it is easy to go from a perennial loser to being a successful team and they seem to be finally making the transition, and I think they would look like they were doing it more successfully if not facing the Bruins.

Mar 26, 2010
Leafs still haven't shown their secret weapon yet. I got them in 7.
Secret weapon. Right.

They are done man. I want them to win but we have to be realistic. Boston is the Best team in the playoffs and is likely going to win the Stanley Cup.

MassiveHomer

Facts are Irrelevant
May 25, 2011
The Best Place Ever
5pBektT.png

:sarcasm:

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Secret weapon. Right.

They are done man. I want them to win but we have to be realistic. Boston is the Best team in the playoffs and is likely going to win the Stanley Cup.

Don't try to jinx it, Boston isn't your team so it won't work.
(I think... we should ask a jinx expert though)

Reactions: bluetib
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad