Confirmed with Link: Ducks officially name Randy Carlyle head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
How did BM do that last year? Or in 2013? Or now? It's a fun myth that ultimately doesn't hold up particularly well.

Kings win, Ducks went heavier. Hawks win, Ducks try to get more speed and skilll and play like the Hawks.

The NHL is a copycat league, Murray just goes too far and doesn't realize the consequences of his actions until mid way through the season.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Pittsburgh has Crosby Malkin Kessel etc I could have coached that team to a cup. Blackhawks have Kane Towes Sharp etc I could have coached that team to a cup.
Somehow those teams the fans give credit to their coach despite having good rosters

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
If true this franchise is officially a joke.

Would be a great way to run Getzlaf and Perry out of town though.

You don't think Ryan Getzlaf, the captain of the hockey team, had any input whatsoever on who was hired as the head coach?

What a ridiculously foolish thing to assume.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Let's say the Ducks make the playoffs which is very likely, would you trust BB more during those games?

Yes. Carlyle has lost 4 of the last 5 series he has coached. He's been to two game 7's, and lost both. The other two times he was eliminated in 6, by teams that were arguably equals at best at inferior at worst, but most assuredly not better outside of the Boston - Toronto series, which he lost in a historical choke job never before performed by an NHL franchise.

Stop saying "quality of teams". The Ducks weren't some amazingly constructed team outside of 2014-15. They weren't significantly (if at all) better overall talent that what Carlyle had to work with in '08 or '11.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
So what does that make you? You haven't been a fan of what Murray has been doing before this, and you've made that pretty clear.

But, now you laugh at us for not wanting a coach who has shown not to succeed in the modern NHL, and let's not forget the fact that he hasn't had a job in the last 2 seasons. Maybe there's a reason for that...

If BB won a cup with Murray I wouldn't complain. But let's complain over signing the best coach this franchise has ever had and a proven winner

Oct 18, 2011
Pittsburgh has Crosby Malkin Kessel etc I could have coached that team to a cup. Blackhawks have Kane Towes Sharp etc I could have coached that team to a cup.
Somehow those teams the fans give credit to their coach despite having good rosters

That's funny because the penguins fired a coach mid-season
coaching absolutely matters the idea of always getting outshot 5 on 5 being a good strategy is just wrong. that's what we're going to get with this guy

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
You don't think Ryan Getzlaf, the captain of the hockey team, had any input whatsoever on who was hired as the head coach?

Almost as ridiculously foolish as a head coach having input on roster moves? Like BB....... oh wait.

I don't give a **** if Getzlaf had input on this move. I know how this team performed and subsequently quit on Carlyle last time, Getzlaf and Perry included.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Kings win, Ducks went heavier. Hawks win, Ducks try to get more speed and skilll and play like the Hawks.

The NHL is a copycat league, Murray just goes too far and doesn't realize the consequences of his actions until mid way through the season.

The Kings won and the main edition was the guy he was trying to get months before the Kings won (although he also added Stoner and Thompson so I'm willing to concede that one). The Hawks win and he really didn't do that at all outside of Hags. Or the Hawks win in 13 and he really doesn't add anyone. Or the Penguins win this year with an inexperienced coach who plays a fast style and counters that by hiring the most experienced candidate who plays a physical style. I know he says things like that all the time, but he doesn't really act on it.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Yes. Carlyle has lost 4 of the last 5 series he has coached. He's been to two game 7's, and lost both. The other two times he was eliminated in 6, by teams that were arguably equals at best at inferior at worst, but most assuredly not better outside of the Boston - Toronto series, which he lost in a historical choke job never before performed by an NHL franchise.

Stop saying "quality of teams". The Ducks weren't some amazingly constructed team outside of 2014-15. They weren't significantly (if at all) better overall talent that what Carlyle had to work with in '08 or '11.

Again ignore his roster in Toronto and the last 2 seasons here. I can assure you the last 2 Ducks teams on paper were much better

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
That's funny because the penguins fired a coach mid-season
coaching absolutely matters the idea of always getting outshot 5 on 5 being a good strategy is just wrong. that's what we're going to get with this guy

Low percentage shots with no screens I'll take those all day especially now he has some goaltending and not Ray Emery

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I've never seen a franchise fans hate a coach who won a Stanley Cup it's unheard of

I think there are very polarizing opinions on the guy here and his true worth is probably somewhere in the middle. You should remember that picture you posted is nearly a decade old, and a lot has happened since. Other folks should remember that those Toronto teams sucked.

Either way if you're going to say things like this:

Strange to bump after Murray actually did something good for a change.

Don't question whether people are fans simply for disagreeing with a move Murray made, something you clearly do frequently.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
If BB won a cup with Murray I wouldn't complain. But let's complain over signing the best coach this franchise has ever had and a proven winner

10 years ago, he won a cup with the most stacked team in the last 10 years. The NHL is not the same anymore. Puck possession matters, which is why RC coached teams have sucked since he's last coached. He doesn't utilize a puck possession system.

We have a right to complain that we're bringing back the guy we fired after he failed to provide a winning team when he was coaching this team last, because of his system and because he lost the locker room. If he was such a good coach, why has he been out of job? We have no reason to think he's going to fix all the problems he's proven to have, problems that completely kill teams in the modern NHL.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Almost as ridiculously foolish as a head coach having input on roster moves? Like BB....... oh wait.

I don't give a **** if Getzlaf had input on this move. I know how this team performed and subsequently quit on Carlyle last time, Getzlaf and Perry included.

That does worry me, but then again, everyone assumed Lupul was done when Toronto hired RC, and he played his best hockey under him. We'll see how it goes this time around, although I'm not particularly optimistic.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Strong reactions in here. If Carlyle can impose some fitness standards I'll be happy with just that.

Everyone needs to relax.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
that was 10 years ago, stop living in 2007, the game is changing and the ducks are time traveling backwards

As we've seen the game can change in a season and even this past year the team had the most success when they were playing physical. Especially against undersized speed teams.
We were manhandled by Nashville we lost because of that not the lack of speed and skill.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Actually it's pretty foolish to assume the GM would ask for player input on hiring a coach, when the GM doesn't even ask the coach for player transaction input. Especially when said GM is pretty POed at said player for last season already.

Oct 18, 2011
Low percentage shots with no screens I'll take those all day especially now he has some goaltending and not Ray Emery

chasing the puck, chipping pucks out, dump and chase, waiting for the other team to make a mistake...great strategy indeed, this will work really well with all our young dmen , stoner is the perfect dman for carlyle

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Strong reactions in here. If Carlyle can impose some fitness standards I'll be happy with just that.

Everyone needs to relax.

You mean the same "fitness standards" he imposed on this team that enabled them to stumble out of the gates almost every year, thus, forcing them to wear themselves out just to fight and claw to get in the playoffs? I sure am excited about that. Accountability and commitment aren't coaching qualities exclusive to Randy Carlyle. There is no reason another coach with those qualities couldn't have been hired rather than the guy that has been a failure as a coach without having at least one, if not two of the top 3 d-men in the league at his disposal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad