Confirmed with Link: Ducks officially name Randy Carlyle head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Just looked at the interview of Beach and thought, I'd love him behind the bench some day!

Oct 18, 2011
I can honestly say this year I watched Maybe half as many games as usual. Team is boring and I get tired of our broadcasters being complete PR guys ignoring what's really happening. Randy's philosophy is just so outdated he has no grasp of the fact that you need to utilize your entire roster

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I can honestly say this year I watched Maybe half as many games as usual. Team is boring and I get tired of our broadcasters being complete PR guys ignoring what's really happening. Randy's philosophy is just so outdated he has no grasp of the fact that you need to utilize your entire roster
Same I watched about 70% before this season I would watch almost every game twice

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Not to defend Carlyle because I do want him gone, but something to consider with all the talk about this now being a game about speed and skill and offense. And that size or physicality is outdated.

We had that line in 2005. Scoring was up, fast players like Crosby and Ovechkin were scoring 100 points. Yet the scoring dropped pretty much every year since. And then the Kings came along and interference clogged up all transition.

Go back a couple decades to the 80s and you see a similar story.

So yes it does seem like we're experiencing an era of speed. But don't mistake it for a permanent shift. Carlyle may well be relevant again in a few years.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't think Randy will ever be relevant again. Unfortunately the game has changed and he's still stuck in his old defensive habits (which haven't worked). This new NHL emphasizes on youth and skill. I'm worried that Montour, Ritchie, Jones and Steel won't hit their cling properly unless we have someone like a Boudreau who can utilize the talent.

I guess I can echo the same statement some people have here. I used to alays look forward to the games, but ever since Randy was given the keys again, it's just been a disappointment. I'll always support this team, but not this coach.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Not to defend Carlyle because I do want him gone, but something to consider with all the talk about this now being a game about speed and skill and offense. And that size or physicality is outdated.

We had that line in 2005. Scoring was up, fast players like Crosby and Ovechkin were scoring 100 points. Yet the scoring dropped pretty much every year since. And then the Kings came along and interference clogged up all transition.

So yes it does seem like we're experiencing an era of speed. But don't mistake it for a permanent shift. Carlyle may well be relevant again in a few years.

I think with his age this is pretty much it for Randy, but yeah it's very premature to say it's only all about speed now. This is probably the third time thats been hypothesized since 2005, and the other two times teams were able to swing it the other way and have success.

As long as this is the core up front, we're just not going to be a speed team and that's completely fine. There's more than one way to win and some of the "Carlyle" concepts that you'll continue to see from the team going forward definitely aren't outdated. I'll bet dump and chase specifically is back en vogue within a few years after more teams start realizing they aren't the 2000s Detroit Red Wings.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I think the needing more fast players is being a bit overblown. Unfortunately I fully expect Murray to go full literal in that thinking and overpay some quick player as his way of "bringing speed". The Ducks have arguably the best skating defense in the league. The right coach could use that and make our game much quicker than it was this season.

That said, I absolutely would like one of Perry or Eaves replaced with a quicker winger.

edit: Why do we have so many threads essentially discussing the same things?

Reactions: The Duck Knight

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yep, that's a ****ty way to end the year. Disaster, though? You're out of your tree for thinking that. Being a fan of anything isn't for you if you think that's a disaster.
It's a disaster and you don't get to decide the extent to which someone is a fan or to what degree one ought to perceive their team's fate. I'm seeing way too much of this shit around the internet in this fanbase. One person says something negative, another doesn't like it and tries to play fandom police.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

It's not just about being fast. This team doesn't need to go out and try to build a roster that can possess the highest aggregate MPH among the players. Just skate with enough hustle to keep up at least.

The problem with Carlyle isn't a lack of focus on speed. It's lack of a system that comports to modern strategies both defensive and offensive. How it worked out last year I will never know but even then I was wondering how we were able to keep winning. Carlyle has not delivered on his claims that he has adapted to the modern NHL in the slightest.

I think the most illustrative example of how behind the times this coaching staff is came in a game, I believe it was against San Jose actually. I don't remember and it doesn't really matter but it was down the stretch. After one period we were trailing by a goal and being absolutely outworked. Our opponents were cycling the puck quickly through open ice and finding passing lanes that were way too easy, offensively we were being suffocated in the neutral zone with aggressive positioning causing us to revert to that good old dump and chase yet we couldn't retrieve any pucks, the only thing we were doing well was hitting. And even that, the hits had no intimidation effect. We were simply being outworked.

Start of the second period, one of Carlyle's assistants...don't even care about the name as I want the whole staff wiped, he gets asked by Jill "what can the Ducks do better to get back in the game?" his response? "Well clearly we need to be more physical." That's all he said. He didn't say one thing about the cycle game that was breaking us down, he didn't talk about trying newer and better zone entries from the neutral zone, nothing but "bruh we gotta hit more" even though we were outhitting them by at least 12-14 hits with zero effect.

I know mentioning this makes it seem like I don't like hitting in this game and when I complained about this event on these boards I faced those accusations. That's not true. I just think there's more to hockey than hitting, and if you're going to try to play rough and tumble you also have to use those attempts to break your opponent down to...you know. Do something with the puck.

I gave Carlyle wide latitude for a large portion of the year because of the injury situation. I was still frustrated that Gibson would get absolutely shelled every night but I understood it. Then we got more or less completely healthy and things were still in shambles. It would've been one thing if some individuals were not totally up to game conditioning. But the team as a whole was not playing to a system that works in the NHL. All year long I said the team has no system but that was wrong.

They do have a system, the 2007 cup winning model. But there's three things with running that model 1.) It's been ELEVEN YEARS, the rest of the West tried to copy that model and its run its course and gone out of style. 2.) We don't have nearly the depth and cohesiveness in roster, let alone elite level talents to execute what worked in 2007 properly, even if that model could work in today's NHL. 3.) It shows that Carlyle hasn't learned a goddamn thing or made any attempts to adapt.

He needs to go. Plain and simple.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It's a disaster and you don't get to decide the extent to which someone is a fan or to what degree one ought to perceive their team's fate. I'm seeing way too much of this **** around the internet in this fanbase. One person says something negative, another doesn't like it and tries to play fandom police.

Hahahahahaha wow yes that's the problem with this fanbase and the internet in general, it just isn't negative enough. Holy shit.

I'm not playing any kind of fandom police, although you certainly are. Im saying calling it a 100 point season a disaster is objectively a bad take. It's not even about negativity or positivity, its just melodramatic.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Hahahahahaha wow yes that's the problem with this fanbase and the internet in general, it just isn't negative enough. Holy ****.

I'm not playing any kind of fandom police, although you certainly are. Im saying calling it a 100 point season a disaster is objectively a bad take. It's not even about negativity or positivity, its just melodramatic.
Being a fan isn't for you

I'm not saying you can't make that claim, but you shouldn't be. If that's how he or I perceive the season, that's our participation as a Ducks fan. That's our perspective. It's not gonna mean we're gonna start stringing a noose or give up on this team.

Yes we got 100 points. Yes we got playoff home ice. But our goalies masked what were clearly some terminal flaws in this team's system and general motivation under the brickbrain behind the bench. Having the injury concerns we had were disastrous as well. But Carlyle's inability to get talented players to play like a team, to get them to play to some kind of system that works in today's NHL, to play with some level of hustle and heart. He failed. Most of us saw the holes. Most of us saw the flaws. Because more often than not when we were winning games it was like we were tripping and stumbling yet somehow landing on two feet. Most of the wins down the stretch were more wins against the Ducks' own weaknesses than it was wins against our own opponents. Most of us knew this team wasn't going far.

However, I don't think many of us thought we'd get embarrassed THIS badly. So yes. Taking the totality of the circumstances this season was a disaster relative to the potential the team has. You drawing conclusions on whether being a fan is for us or not based on semantical value placed on the word disaster, at best, isn't a cute way to express yourself to someone you disagree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad