Confirmed with Link: Ducks officially name Randy Carlyle head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The consistent theme with BM is overreaction and massive roster turnover every offseason.

You have an interesting definition of the words massive and every. The roster from game 7 2014 saw three guys not return the next year(I'm excluding the two retirees and the backup goaltender). The roster from game 7 2013 saw two guys not return the next year (not including Souray).

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Do you have long term amnesia or do you honestly not remember how terrible Carlyle coached Ducks teams have been to start seasons?

His bag skates aren't going to mean squat when they have to use all of their energy just to get in the playoffs.

Pretty sure Teemu and Nieds both said camp with RC was awful. I wouldn't doubt it if they sat out the first half of the year to get out of camp! Lol

It was pretty common for Ducks teams to absolutely suck at the start of the year due to his camps.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Would have gone with Travis Green, but I get it.

Getzlaf and Perry did this to themselves. Now they have a coach who will yell at them everyday for the next few years.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
One of those loses were "chokes"

Toronto was a choke. Please don't even try to argue that. It was a great job getting to that position. It was a choke of literally historic proportions to lose.

They were a better team than Dallas, the best record in the league from January on, and had home ice in '08. That's a choke.

They had the best forward line in hockey and had home ice in '11. That's a choke.

People like to say "LOST GAME 7 AT HOME CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE!!!!" And ignore the quality of the teams that they lost against. That cuts both ways. Losing in 6 with home ice is not less of a choke than losing in 7 with home ice. If anything, it's MORE of a choke, because you couldn't get your team to that Game 7.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The players complained because he pushed them hard. That's nothing new for professional athletes.

Arguing that the slow starts is a terrible thing is counter-intuitive when they always finished hard...who would rather be the opposite?

It's not a huge leap to suggest the fitness habits instilled in camp reaped rewards down the line.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Toronto was a choke. Please don't even try to argue that. It was a great job getting to that position. It was a choke of literally historic proportions to lose.

They were a better team than Dallas, the best record in the league from January on, and had home ice in '08. That's a choke.

They had the best forward team in hockey and had home ice in '11. That's a choke.

People like to say "LOST GAME 7 AT HOME CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE!!!!" And ignore the quality of the teams that they lost against. That cuts both ways. Losing in 6 with home ice is not less of a choke than losing in 7 with home ice. If anything, it's MORE of a choke, because you couldn't get your team to that Game 7.

Apparently acording to you losing a series is a choke lol. And best forward team in the league, really?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The players complained because he pushed them hard. That's nothing new for professional athletes.

Arguing that the slow starts is a terrible thing is counter-intuitive when they always finished hard...who would rather be the opposite?

It's not a huge leap to suggest the fitness habits instilled in camp reaped rewards down the line.

In year two. One could argue that from year three on all that it did was wear the team down playing catchup so they were spent by the time the playoffs rolled around.

The team needed a taskmaster. There's probably someone they could find that would fit that bill who's got a coaching system that's worked this decade.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Apparently acording to you losing a series is a choke lol. And best forward team in the league, really?

Losing a series with home ice is a choke, yes. Having home ice and not winning even 3 games I consider a choke, yes.

And that was a typo. Best forward line. And RPG was absolutely considered the best line in hockey that year.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
In year two. One could argue that from year three on all that it did was wear the team down playing catchup so they were spent by the time the playoffs rolled around.

The team needed a taskmaster. There's probably someone they could find that would fit that bill who's got a coaching system that's worked this decade.

From January-on weren't pretty much all of RC's teams near the top of the league? You could certainly argue that's reaping the reward from camp. It's an interesting POV.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Losing a series with home ice is a choke, yes. Having home ice and not winning even 3 games I consider a choke, yes.

And that was a typo. Best forward line. And RPG was absolutely considered the best line in hockey that year.

OK, well you're wrong on the first part. Especially when both those series' were 4v5.

And OK, yeah they were. And they played the team with the best defense pairing in hockey. That's probably not even a wash.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
From January-on weren't pretty much all of RC's teams near the top of the league? You could certainly argue that's reaping the reward from camp. It's an interesting POV.

And, in the playoffs, they had in spite of that regular season success exactly one series win after the Cup year. You can certainly consider that reaping the consequences. Also an interesting POV.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
OK, well you're wrong on the first part. Especially when both those series' were 4v5.

And OK, yeah they were. And they played the team with the best defense pairing in hockey. That's probably not even a wash.

It's pretty much impossible to be wrong with an opinion. Except an opinion that one can dogmatically state someone else's opinion is wrong.

That's quite the logic puzzle, isn't it?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Oh well, **** it. I didn't expect much else from this regime. This is a mainly veteran team at this point, may as well let Randy grind whatever they have left out of them.

Congrats, Dirk.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
And, in the playoffs, they had in spite of that regular season success exactly one series win after the Cup year. You can certainly consider that reaping the consequences. Also an interesting POV.

Looking at the cases individually, I don't think there was any or much burnout. And looking at Toronto, those teams actually got off to good starts out of TC, so perhaps he changed, or perhaps the slow starts had more to do with a few certain someones.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Would have gone with Travis Green, but I get it.

Getzlaf and Perry did this to themselves. Now they have a coach who will yell at them everyday for the next few years.

I absolutely agree with this. BM said screw you guys, I am going to get a guy who will get in your face and make you show up. Would not be surprised if the C is removed from Getzlaf and given to Kesler.

I hate this move, but I sure hope he has changed his strategy from last time he coached. If by chance he has learned a new way to play (by trusting Yawney and Walrus) there might be a chance. He then becomes a motivator rather than a strategist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad